Ultrawide or higher refresh rates?

kevinisbeast707
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
19 minutes ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

Yeah the 240hz would pretty much be exclusively useful for csgo but the high refresh rate is tempting like 4k is tempting. You probably don't need it but it sounds cool. I just wonder if the overall experience would be better on a less wide 2.5k display with 44 more hz than having "just" 100hz. i'm leaning towards ultrawide, I just want to know what the overall consensus is on the subject.

(Also it should be noted I probably never was but am definitely now not good enough in cs for 240hz to make a difference for me I don't think.)

Depends a lot on the size of the monitor as well. I'm content with my 27 inch 2560x1080 (for now) but I know most people are more inclined to be above a 29 inch display for 21:9, especially at a higher resolution.

So I currently use a 22 inch lenovo ips monitor that runs at 1920x1080 at 75 hz. It's a fine display but a tad small and I would like some higher refresh rates for games like csgo and rainbow six and such. With that said I do also play plenty of games like GTA V where ultra high responsiveness are much less of a concern and I have been curious about what ultrawide would look like. Pretty much the monitors that I am taking into consideration right now are the Acer ED347KR 34 inch ultrawide 3440x1440 at 100hz curved va monitor ($400), the Acer XF250Q 24.5 inch 1920x1080 at 240hz with a tn pannel ($289), or the Viotek GN27DB 27 inch 2560x1440 at 144hz with a flat va pannel ($330). So I've tried both 240hz tn monitors and 100hz va curved ultrawides in stores and I love how silky smooth the 240hz monitors are but I also love the aspect ratio of 21:9. I've heard that 240hz is pretty unnecessary of an upgrade from 144hz and I would tend to believe that statement but my god is it ever smooth. I guess what I'm asking is if anyone has experience with ultrawide monitors with 100hz refresh rates and or high refresh rate monitors which one they would go with.

(Before anyone says it, I have watched linus's video on the subject and I am mostly interested in the difference between ultrawide at 100hz and more standard resolutions at higher refresh rates. Specifically for ultrawide I don't want 2560x1080 and I am worried with va panels at 144hz that there will still be significant smearing due to pixel response times which I am currently experiencing with my ips display.)

Ultrawide acer

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824011196&ignorebbr=1

240hz acer

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07G3GRFSZ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

144hz 1440p viotek

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B078P57ZWL/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A1BVYXEL822RF0&psc=1

Do you have the PC horsepower to drive this? Judging by the build on your profile, it seems excessive.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Yeah, if that build is current (R5 1600, gtx 750ti), you won't have the power to drive 1440p 144hz.

Resident Mozilla Shill.   Typed on my Ortholinear JJ40 custom keyboard
               __     I am the ASCIIDino.
              / _)
     _.----._/ /      If you can see me you 
    /         /       must put me in your 
 __/ (  | (  |        signature for 24 hours.
/__.-'|_|--|_|        

You're going to need a GTX 1080 or something, but ultrawide definitely ; as someone who owns both it's a bigger difference

CPU: Core i9 12900K || CPU COOLER : Corsair H100i Pro XT || MOBO : ASUS Prime Z690 PLUS D4 || GPU: PowerColor RX 6800XT Red Dragon || RAM: 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance (3200) || SSDs: Samsung 970 Evo 250GB (Boot), Crucial P2 1TB, Crucial MX500 1TB (x2), Samsung 850 EVO 1TB || PSU: Corsair RM850 || CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini || MONITOR: Acer Predator X34A (1440p 100hz), HP 27yh (1080p 60hz) || KEYBOARD: GameSir GK300 || MOUSE: Logitech G502 Hero || AUDIO: Bose QC35 II || CASE FANS : 2x Corsair ML140, 1x BeQuiet SilentWings 3 120 ||

LAPTOP: Dell XPS 15 7590

TABLET: iPad Pro

PHONE: Galaxy S9

She/they 

1 hour ago, Fez_Boy said:

Yeah, if that build is current (R5 1600, gtx 750ti), you won't have the power to drive 1440p 144hz.

59 minutes ago, OrbitalBuzzsaw said:

You're going to need a GTX 1080 or something, but ultrawide definitely ; as someone who owns both it's a bigger difference

Oops guess I should update that. Currently I'm sitting with a gtx 1070 ti with both cpu and gpu under a custom loop overclocked.

11 minutes ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

Oops guess I should update that. Currently I'm sitting with a gtx 1070 ti with both cpu and gpu under a custom loop overclocked.

now that will do with the ultrawide setup, the ultra high refresh rate seems just out of reach for that config.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

11 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

now that will do with the ultrawide setup, the ultra high refresh rate seems just out of reach for that config.

Yeah the 240hz would pretty much be exclusively useful for csgo but the high refresh rate is tempting like 4k is tempting. You probably don't need it but it sounds cool. I just wonder if the overall experience would be better on a less wide 2.5k display with 44 more hz than having "just" 100hz. i'm leaning towards ultrawide, I just want to know what the overall consensus is on the subject.

(Also it should be noted I probably never was but am definitely now not good enough in cs for 240hz to make a difference for me I don't think.)

19 minutes ago, kevinisbeast707 said:

Depends a lot on the size of the monitor as well. I'm content with my 27 inch 2560x1080 (for now) but I know most people are more inclined to be above a 29 inch display for 21:9, especially at a higher resolution.

Primary PC:

Thank you to everyone who answered! I ended up going with the Acer ultrawide just to see how amazing ultrawide really can be. Feel free to continue the discussion on forward as I found it difficult to find discussion comparing directly high refresh rate 1440p to 100hz ultrawide 1440p. :D