Connecting ARGB fans to a Mobo without the right header

azmotorhead2005

I recently got an Asus Prime X470 Pro motherboard with the intent of connecting a set of XSPC RGB Series fans which use the standard 3-pin RGB connectors. When I unboxed the board, to my dismay I discovered there isn't a 5v header for addressable RGB devices. So, I need a controller that I can connect at least 6 (preferably more) ARGB devices to my motherboard that is Aura compatible. Thanks in advance.

I have the exact same problem except with MSI (new to this RGB business)

I have an MSI X470 Gaming Pro Motherboard and it does not have the 3pin ARGB headers only the 4pin  RGB headers. My case has 3pin ARGB connections.

When I purchased both I assumed that when they both said they were mystic lighting compatible they would work together. Is there a way to get them to work together or a controller that would work?

You can buy standalone controllers for addressable RGB, i think some have internal USB connection so you can run their software to configure their connected LED strips

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

8 hours ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

You can buy standalone controllers for addressable RGB, i think some have internal USB connection so you can run their software to configure their connected LED strips

Can you point me to one? I have been unable to find an a-rbg controller using the 3pin 5v.

Thank you, it's been very anoying but that's mostly my own fault for not understanding the headers when I got my case and motherboard. I just assumed when they both said "mystic lighting" they would work together.

2 hours ago, Icelom said:

Can you point me to one? I have been unable to find an a-rbg controller using the 3pin 5v.

Thank you, it's been very anoying but that's mostly my own fault for not understanding the headers when I got my case and motherboard. I just assumed when they both said "mystic lighting" they would work together.

https://www.amazon.com/Thermaltake-Addressable-Controller-Compatible-CL-O015-PL00BL/dp/B079FYL6LM/

https://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-MFX-ACBN-NNUNN-R1-Controller-Detection/dp/B07H241TFT/

https://www.amazon.com/Asus-Addressable-Controller-Four-Ports-ROG/dp/B07J6MY5CJ/

HEDT: i9 10980XE @ 4.9 gHz, 64GB @ 3600mHz CL14 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, 2x Nvidia Titan RTX NVLink SLI, Corsair AX1600i, Samsung 960 Pro 2TB OS/apps, Samsung 850 EVO 4TB media, LG 38GL950G-B monitor, Drop CTRL keyboard, Decus Respec mouse

Laptop: Razer Blade Pro 2019 9750H model, 32GB @ 3200mHz CL18 G.Skill Ripjaws DDR4, 2x Samsung 960 Pro 1TB RAID0, repasted with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut
Gaming Rig: i9 9900ks @ 5.2ghz, 32GB @ 4000mHz CL17 G.Skill Trident-Z DDR4, EVGA RTX 2080 Ti Kingpin, Corsair HX1200, Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2TB, Asus PG348Q monitor, Corsair K70 LUX RGB keyboard, Corsair Ironclaw mouse
HTPC: i7 7700 (delidded + LM), 16GB @ 2666mHz CL15 Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4, MSI Geforce GTX 1070 Gaming X, Corsair SFX 600, Samsung 850 Pro 512gb, Samsung Q55R TV, Filco Majestouch Convertible 2 TKL keyboard, Logitech G403 wireless mouse

10 minutes ago, Kalm_Traveler1 said:

Thank you, however looking at these none of them have the 3pin 5V input (at least from the pictures of there IO) they do have the output to that in order to sync it with your motherboard. (unless I am missing something)

What I need is a controller that can take in 3pin 5v A-RGB connections and I have not been able to find anything (it feels like I just needed my motherboard to have this header... so I am slightly disappointed it's not a huge deal just annoying) The motherboard I have was given to me so it was the only thing i could not work around... and unfortunately it does not have the 3pin 5v headers... 

20 minutes ago, Icelom said:

Thank you, however looking at these none of them have the 3pin 5V input (at least from the pictures of there IO) they do have the output to that in order to sync it with your motherboard. (unless I am missing something)

What I need is a controller that can take in 3pin 5v A-RGB connections and I have not been able to find anything (it feels like I just needed my motherboard to have this header... so I am slightly disappointed it's not a huge deal just annoying) The motherboard I have was given to me so it was the only thing i could not work around... and unfortunately it does not have the 3pin 5v headers... 

So what you're wanting is a 4-pin 12v non-addressable RGB to 3-pin 5v addressable RGB adapter of sorts? I don't think such a device exists.

If you want to simply use the aRGB lights on your case with your existing setup, one of the devices I linked is what you'd need. If you have a static color you'll simply match them using the software for the controller.

• 1 year later...
On 1/9/2019 at 9:19 PM, Kalm_Traveler said:

So what you're wanting is a 4-pin 12v non-addressable RGB to 3-pin 5v addressable RGB adapter of sorts? I don't think such a device exists.

If you want to simply use the aRGB lights on your case with your existing setup, one of the devices I linked is what you'd need. If you have a static color you'll simply match them using the software for the controller.

A device DOES exist, however I wouldn't recommend using it. It doesn't work well. Only works for 3 different colors and tends to intermittently cut out for a couple seconds every day or so. But if you wanted to check it out. https://www.amazon.com/DEEPCOOL-Convertor-Transfer-Motherboard-Products/dp/B07QPYSC82

I don't know why Asus doesn't have BOTH options on their motherboards? A lot of people these days like to mix and use dRBG for their case fans and aRGB for their strip lighting. Or some people like myself just prefer aRGB entirely. Asus is forcing people to replace their fans with dRGB and a lot of times people are buying cases with aRGB already in them like the Phanteks P400A, and getting screwed over. It's very annoying to say the least. I know there is a video by Hardware Canucks called "The RGB Market is Broken". I imagine they talk about a lot of this bs on that video.

• 8 months later...

I hate to thread necro this, but all of the other responses are nuts (although that ASUS ROG controller would have fit the bill, but it's no longer available from that link), and this was one of the first hits I got when searching for ARGB motherboards on google, so I'm hoping that this will help someone else, as the OP has probably either given up in frustration or found a solution by this time.  

Razer has what I consider to be *the* solution, with the Razer Chroma Addressable RGB controller.  It uses the  standard *gasp* 5v plug, has 6 plugs, and supports up to 40 individual addresses for a fan, but also supports light strips, and is configurable based upon your light strip design.  It also plugs into the USB header on your Mobo (but if you don't have one, it's just a micro USB plug, so you could probably use a USB cable to jury rig it).

This is what I want to be the bare minimum, industry standard, for ARGB controllers.

Here's where the news gets really good.  Because it's made by Razer, it interfaces directly with Razer Chroma, which is as near as I can tell, one of the best ARGB softwares out there. Now, if you're married to Corsair's iCue, this isn't good news for you, but at that point, you're probably already neck deep into the Corsair ecosystem, so the Corsair proprietary controller will probably do you fine.  I don't have one of those, so I'm not going to talk about it more, though.  

It's also only $40, so not bad considering most of the proprietary ones cost way* more.

Of course, there are some cheap boards out of China that look promising, as well ($10-20), but again, I don't have them, so I can't recommend them.

39 minutes ago, WooSai said:

I hate to thread necro this, but all of the other responses are nuts (although that ASUS ROG controller would have fit the bill, but it's no longer available from that link), and this was one of the first hits I got when searching for ARGB motherboards on google, so I'm hoping that this will help someone else, as the OP has probably either given up in frustration or found a solution by this time.  

Razer has what I consider to be *the* solution, with the Razer Chroma Addressable RGB controller.  It uses the  standard *gasp* 5v plug, has 6 plugs, and supports up to 40 individual addresses for a fan, but also supports light strips, and is configurable based upon your light strip design.  It also plugs into the USB header on your Mobo (but if you don't have one, it's just a micro USB plug, so you could probably use a USB cable to jury rig it).

This is what I want to be the bare minimum, industry standard, for ARGB controllers.

Here's where the news gets really good.  Because it's made by Razer, it interfaces directly with Razer Chroma, which is as near as I can tell, one of the best ARGB softwares out there. Now, if you're married to Corsair's iCue, this isn't good news for you, but at that point, you're probably already neck deep into the Corsair ecosystem, so the Corsair proprietary controller will probably do you fine.  I don't have one of those, so I'm not going to talk about it more, though.  

It's also only $40, so not bad considering most of the proprietary ones cost way* more.

Of course, there are some cheap boards out of China that look promising, as well ($10-20), but again, I don't have them, so I can't recommend them.

I just want to say THANK YOU for necro threading here! I was absolutely about to give up thinking I used up my one argb header on my fans with no way to light my cpu cooler (coolermaster) and couldn’t ever add strips on either. Got excited about the ROG controller too until I realized it’s basically discontinued. This might seriously save me and anybody else with similar problems, so thank you!!