Microsoft Store Default Download Location?

bANONYMOUS
Go to solution Solved by Cyberspirit,

I looked around and seems like you can change where the apps will be saved by default. Just go to storage in settings and look for the advanced settings.

Here's a screenshot though, my system is in Hungarian.

Spoiler

InkedApplicationFrameHost_JYkoBnwEsJ_LI.jpg.7efbe0183d5459f7e8b34cc1b90c633d.jpg

I have an NVME as my boot drive, SSD for games, and HDD for videos/pictures/etc.

On my old computer, I had the same setup, and when I would download a game from the Microsoft Store, it would ask me what drive to save to, I just finished building my new computer, attempted to download Forza Horizon 4, and it just starts downloading, I have no idea what drive it's downloading to, or where it's going to install. It didn't ask, I checked settings and there's nothing in there to show where I want it to pick by default, there's nothing telling me where it's currently being downloaded to, it's just doing it's thing and for those who don't know, Forza Horizon 4 takes for EVER to download, like we're talking hours on 300mbps download (fastest business line I can acquire in this city). So the way I see it, I'm going to have to leave this going on it's own for a few hours, and then try to figure out where it installed.

Has anyone else run into this issue? Is there some way I can "reset" Microsoft Store as if it was never used and attempt to try this again from a fresh start? My guess is it was probably trying to install Candy Crush or the other bloat that gets preinstalled while I was doing driver updates and during a reboot it must have messed something up. I'm not against doing a clean install, but I literally JUST finished installing all the drivers and updating everything, this was the first game I was trying to download and suddenly, out of no where, a wild issues attacks.

Thanks for any suggestions

Desktop: CASE: NZXT H510 Elite CPU: Intel i9-9900K RAM: 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro GPU: 11GB EVGA FTW3 1080ti NVMe: 3x1TB  XPG Gammix S11 HDD: 1x8TB Barracuda PSU: HX1200 OS: Windows 10 Pro b19043
Laptop: CASE: Asus Zephyrus Duo CPU: Intel i7-10875H RAM: 32GB SSD: 2x Samsung 1TB NVMe RAID 0 OS: Pop_OS 20.04 LTS

Mobile: MODEL: Galaxy S21 Ultra  SSD: 128GB RAM: 12GB OS: Unlocked One UI 3.1 Android 11

Mobile: MODEL: Nubia Red Magic 5G SSD: 256GB RAM: 12GB OS: Rooted RM5S Android 11

It should be in a folder called "WindowsApps" in your root directory. You'll need Administrator privileges to open the folder though.

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Yeah, I've been looking for it and it's not on any of the three drives, on the old one it just chills on the SSD for all the games, but this time around it's non-existent.

I tried searching for it and nothing comes up, however when I tried to clear everything with Disk Cleanup, there was like 37GB of "optimized installation files" so it is downloading the game, it just won't tell me, or show any signs of where it's going.

Desktop: CASE: NZXT H510 Elite CPU: Intel i9-9900K RAM: 32GB Vengeance RGB Pro GPU: 11GB EVGA FTW3 1080ti NVMe: 3x1TB  XPG Gammix S11 HDD: 1x8TB Barracuda PSU: HX1200 OS: Windows 10 Pro b19043
Laptop: CASE: Asus Zephyrus Duo CPU: Intel i7-10875H RAM: 32GB SSD: 2x Samsung 1TB NVMe RAID 0 OS: Pop_OS 20.04 LTS

Mobile: MODEL: Galaxy S21 Ultra  SSD: 128GB RAM: 12GB OS: Unlocked One UI 3.1 Android 11

Mobile: MODEL: Nubia Red Magic 5G SSD: 256GB RAM: 12GB OS: Rooted RM5S Android 11

You can use this software to look for it but, It's probably going into a temp folder until it's fully downloaded.

Try right click the game in start menu > Open file directory (or Properties -> open file directory)

🙂

All 75GB finished finally so I can try to figure out where it went, so far there is nothing related in the root of any three drives, but it says it's installed, tested and working, went to Settings, Apps, Forza Horizon 4, Move, Selected SSD, everything is now moving, we'll see what happens.

So, seems that the issue is resolved? possibly? but, I still didn't figure out why it didn't ask where I wanted to download the game to. Also found a reset button for the Microsoft Store in that Apps list, so maybe that'll reset everything back to factory and I can try it again to see if it'll ask me where to save this time.

3 minutes ago, duncannah said:

Try right click the game in start menu > Open file directory (or Properties -> open file directory)

Don't have those options, if I right click on the game in start menu I have pin to start, more, and uninstall, under the "more" window, I have app settings, rate and review, and share.
From App Settings is where I found the option to move the installed directly to the SSD but that was only after it finished downloading. However, from that same menu in settings I found a reset function for Microsoft Store, so I'm still going to attempt to know what the issue was that caused all of this

7 minutes ago, duncannah said:

That actually doesn't work for Microsoft Store games and apps. They don't even let you place Forza 4's icon on your desktop.

3 minutes ago, bANONYMOUS said:

All 75GB finished finally so I can try to figure out where it went, so far there is nothing related in the root of any three drives, but it says it's installed, tested and working, went to Settings, Apps, Forza Horizon 4, Move, Selected SSD, everything is now moving, we'll see what happens.

So, seems that the issue is resolved? possibly? but, I still didn't figure out why it didn't ask where I wanted to download the game to. Also found a reset button for the Microsoft Store in that Apps list, so maybe that'll reset everything back to factory and I can try it again to see if it'll ask me where to save this time.

That's good to hear. Make sure to mark your post as solved for future reference.

8 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

Make sure to mark your post as solved for future reference.

Well, kind of solved, it finished moving to the SSD, tested, working, uninstalled, reset Microsoft Store, opened it and I was still signed in, tried resetting again and then rebooted computer, still signed in when I opened it, tried downloading Forza Horizon 4 again, and back to square one, didn't ask where I wanted it downloaded to.

I mean, at least I have a solution to how to get around this, but it's not really resolved seeing as how everything else I was downloading at random to test isn't asking where to download to, this essentially means that every single game I download from Microsoft, I gotta wait until it's finished download, installing, and then manually move it to the SSD.

I'm just going to completely wipe the computer, let Microsoft finish installing all of the bloat and Windows updates before attempting to install driver packages and update the GPU driver. See if that brings back the option, or maybe this is a new feature Microsoft removed seeing as this is the latest version available from the Microsoft website and last time I downloaded this game was when it came out. Could be a Microsoft issue, or a glitch that broke the Microsoft Store by restarting the computer while it was installing bloat software.

I looked around and seems like you can change where the apps will be saved by default. Just go to storage in settings and look for the advanced settings.

Here's a screenshot though, my system is in Hungarian.

Spoiler

InkedApplicationFrameHost_JYkoBnwEsJ_LI.jpg.7efbe0183d5459f7e8b34cc1b90c633d.jpg

Darn, you were just not quick enough on that one, I already wiped the computer, did another clean install, let windows finish installing all of the bloat and windows updates, then drivers, got everything ready, and then tried downloading again from the Microsoft store and it asked where I wanted to save the game this time, so it was 100% an issue with the bloat preinstalling while I was installing drivers caused something to glitch out when a driver said I needed to restart.

So, it's fixed now, solution was a clean install and waiting for all of the Microsoft garbage to finish before doing anything.

Thanks for the help, a lot of useful info in here now incase anyone else experiences this issue

Good to know that it's fixed now. Sorry for being late on that one but who knows what else was bugged in the store.

57 minutes ago, Cyberspirit said:

but who knows what else was bugged in the store.

Exactly, thanks for the help!