Which is best HDD/SSHD in my list of drives

JHurley7nrx
Go to solution Solved by SkilledRebuilds,
3 hours ago, JHurley7nrx said:

So cache is imporant in HDD, but ok the SSD bit how would u put the small game files you were saying about onto the SSD bit or doses the softwarw do that for u?

When you create the Small SSD partition, there is no drive letter,.. but the "hardware" is seen and available.
Software is setup so the SSD partition you've created from your Main SSD,..when paired to the HDD as configured "SSD Cache" will work the exact same way as a SSHD.
You won't see the SSD data/driveletter/partition at all,.. but the software will have statistics to show its working. (You can set any size, does not have to be 32GB, and you can also accelerate multiple HDD's if you want from the single SSD 32GB partition (set as 2 seperate 16GBs first)

If you have some spare time to watch some videos,.. check this basic SSD cache search
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=primocache+ssd+cache

Whats up guys so i need to buy a 1 TB hard drive for my games and other stuff (os is on SSD) and im not sure what would be the fasted drive. Which one is the fasted in the list. 

Seagate FireCuda 1tb 64mb cache, 210mbs 7200 RPM SSHD

Seagate BarraCuda 1tb 128mb cache, 140mbs 5400 RMP HDD

WD 1TB Black 64mb cache 150mbs 7200 RPM HDD 

Never go below 7200 RPM. It's just not worth it these days.

A 2Tb won't be that much more expensive, so see about getting one if you can.

And I have 1 of each Fire Cuda and WD Black, And can tell you that there is not much performance difference over all.

Fire Cuda seems to be a little faster, but it's within margin of error.

8 minutes ago, DugzGaming said:

Never go below 7200 RPM. It's just not worth it these days.

A 2Tb won't be that much more expensive, so see about getting one if you can.

And I have 1 of each Fire Cuda and WD Black, And can tell you that there is not much performance difference over all.

Fire Cuda seems to be a little faster, but it's within margin of error.

Ok but the middle drive has a higher cache and transfer speed, so RPM is most important in a drive. I dont need a 2tb due to it replacing my 4 year old Toshiba hhd becauses its making clicky grind noise but i guess if it isnt to much extra i could get a 2tb 

Yes the fire cuda has a better speed, But the SSD portion of the Fire Cuda is the one that runs at the faster rate, the HDD section has the same performance as the black.

And that only has a limited size. you will need to check the size. and that will only cache heavily used files under a certain size.

There is also the cost to keep in mind.

AUD$129 1tb firecuda,  has 8gb of ssd.

AUD$169 2tb WB Black,  no ssd but double capacity for only 30% more cost.

Speed At base not much difference.

Speed after caching, Firecuda will be faster by around 20% in game load times.

So i guess the firecuda would be the best option for me becauses i will be storing all my games on it. But since there only is a 8gb ssd that wouldnt be enough space for games obiously.

36 minutes ago, JHurley7nrx said:

So i guess the firecuda would be the best option for me becauses i will be storing all my games on it. But since there only is a 8gb ssd that wouldnt be enough space for games obiously.

You can buy software for that...

Costs a little bit of cash but nowhere near hardware costs... like $30

Caching software,.. PrimoCache/FancyCache or Alternatives...

I have SSDs already, and a HDD,..
So I partition 32GB off my SSDs and pair it to the HDD via the cache program, effectively making my own SSHD with 32GB.

Whatever size you want,.. which is really nice,.. or multiple drives to cache... better options that just a normal SSHD.
To be fair,... the Cost of a normal 1TB 7200Rpm Drive VS a 8GB+1TB SSHD is likely going to cover the software cost....to enable bigger cache, or multiple drives and better options.

The 8GB is enough for most games (before they all went 50GB in asset size) as you do re-use many assets (held in System memory via first loading) to be accelerated,... FPS Maps,.. Reloading of Maps,.. all that is pretty well accelerated.
When you start a new game,.. (if you played it yesterday) it still may very well be accelerated still I've found... but not always if you play 3-4 games everyday for long periods. But for playing 1-2 Games,..and not much else,.. 8GB is fine.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

13 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

You can buy software for that...

Costs a little bit of cash but nowhere near hardware costs... like $30

Caching software,.. PrimoCache/FancyCache or Alternatives...

I have SSDs already, and a HDD,..
So I partition 32GB off my SSDs and pair it to the HDD via the cache program, effectively making my own SSHD with 32GB.

Whatever size you want,.. which is really nice,.. or multiple drives to cache... better options that just a normal SSHD.
To be fair,... the Cost of a normal 1TB 7200Rpm Drive VS a 8GB+1TB SSHD is likely going to cover the software cost....to enable bigger cache, or multiple drives and better options.

The 8GB is enough for most games (before they all went 50GB in asset size) as you do re-use many assets (held in System memory via first loading) to be accelerated,... FPS Maps,.. Reloading of Maps,.. all that is pretty well accelerated.
When you start a new game,.. (if you played it yesterday) it still may very well be accelerated still I've found... but not always if you play 3-4 games everyday for long periods. But for playing 1-2 Games,..and not much else,.. 8GB is fine.

So cache is imporant in HDD, but ok the SSD bit how would u put the small game files you were saying about onto the SSD bit or doses the softwarw do that for u?

3 hours ago, JHurley7nrx said:

When you create the Small SSD partition, there is no drive letter,.. but the "hardware" is seen and available.
Software is setup so the SSD partition you've created from your Main SSD,..when paired to the HDD as configured "SSD Cache" will work the exact same way as a SSHD.
You won't see the SSD data/driveletter/partition at all,.. but the software will have statistics to show its working. (You can set any size, does not have to be 32GB, and you can also accelerate multiple HDD's if you want from the single SSD 32GB partition (set as 2 seperate 16GBs first)

If you have some spare time to watch some videos,.. check this basic SSD cache search

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

38 minutes ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

Ah ok thats pretty cleaver defently gonna buy firecuda due to ssd for cache