is my RAM DOA?

Saiyan
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,
1 hour ago, Saiyan said:

Oh, yeah. I've tried spaced by 1 or 2 and not spaced. My old stick of RAM works fine alone in every slot, so they aren't the problem. My new stick won't work in any configuration, meaning alone or with the old slot plugged in too. Would it be correct at this point to assume the stick of ram is bad?

Oh yes if that's the case it's probably no good.

z97 Gaming 5 motherboard with currently 1 stick of hyperX 1866 8gb ram running. Bought a new stick another 1866 8gb and put it in all the DIMM slots, including swapping it for the one I already have in there and anytime I plug in the new stick my PC black screens and won't post at all. Dead RAM stick?

PCPartPicker: z97 Gaming 5 | 750w Photon | 850 Series 250gb SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | LG25um56-P | Corsair K70 RGB | Asus Strix 970 4gb | WD Blue 1TB | Logitech G502 | i7-4790k | H100i GTX w/ (Noctua NF-F12's) | HyperX Fury Black 1x8gb 1866 | NZXT Hue+ |  ATR2500 | ATH-M50x |

Is it the same ram?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Is it the same ram?

Yep hyper x ddr3 1866 8gb.

PCPartPicker: z97 Gaming 5 | 750w Photon | 850 Series 250gb SSD | Phanteks Enthoo Pro | LG25um56-P | Corsair K70 RGB | Asus Strix 970 4gb | WD Blue 1TB | Logitech G502 | i7-4790k | H100i GTX w/ (Noctua NF-F12's) | HyperX Fury Black 1x8gb 1866 | NZXT Hue+ |  ATR2500 | ATH-M50x |

3 minutes ago, Saiyan said:

Yep hyper x ddr3 1866 8gb.

Timings the same too?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

13 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Timings the same too?

Just checked all the specs. speed voltage latency and capacity are all the same. just updated bios and that didn't fix it. the new stick won't work as a stand alone either like my current stick. it will just black screen and get stuck in a boot loop on the motherboard. 

2 minutes ago, Saiyan said:

Just checked all the specs. speed voltage latency and capacity are all the same. just updated bios and that didn't fix it. the new stick won't work as a stand alone either like my current stick. it will just black screen and get stuck in a boot loop on the motherboard. 

Have you tried single channel both dimms together

Primary PC:

1 minute ago, fasauceome said:

Have you tried single channel both dimms together

I don't get what you mean? I have a single stick currently in and whenever the new stick it added it black screens.

5 minutes ago, Saiyan said:

I don't get what you mean? I have a single stick currently in and whenever the new stick it added it black screens.

You can have both dimms in at the same time but in single channels (next to each other instead of spaced by one slot)

Primary PC:

12 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

You can have both dimms in at the same time but in single channels (next to each other instead of spaced by one slot)

Oh, yeah. I've tried spaced by 1 or 2 and not spaced. My old stick of RAM works fine alone in every slot, so they aren't the problem. My new stick won't work in any configuration, meaning alone or with the old slot plugged in too. Would it be correct at this point to assume the stick of ram is bad?

1 hour ago, Saiyan said:

Oh yes if that's the case it's probably no good.

Primary PC: