Quick Question About Windows on a Mac

smithaveryb

I know you guys hate macs, so let me start of by saying that I was GIFTED this macbook air. I would never buy one.

So, yesterday, I was fed up with OSX, so I installed windows 8 pro on my macbook. What I am wondering is if I can completely delete OSX of the SSD to free up space? If I do, is there any way to re install (I plan on selling in the future)?

My Rig: | i7-3770k @4.9 GHz | h100i | Intel DZ77BH-55k Mobo | 16GB 1600 MHz Vengeance Ram | GTX 770 4GB x2 (SLI) | Acer 21.5" 1080p Monitors x3 | 1TB WD Black x2 (In Raid 0) | 256GB SSD | Quickfire TK Blue | Razer Deathadder 2013|

Surfing it up in Huntington Beach, USA. Find me on Steam (my username is /r/buildapc). 

I don't hate Macs at all. I don't believe you can delete OS X completely though.

I want a MacBook Air as a gift :P

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

Reformat the drive and install Windows as you would with any other computer, yeah?  You will need a USB DVD drive or a bootable USB flash drive installation for Windows though.

I'm not sure that it would go down that easily, as the bootloader is completely different from anything else.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

I wouldn't. Saves the hassle of having to figure it out later as well. Also, as you said the bootloader is different and that could cause problems when you try to boot up afterwards. You can shrink the OS X partition, so why not do that. Just leave about 1-2GB free, after removing all the programs and things that you won't use on the OS X side. This way you have a barebones OS X installation to boot into just in case.

I would of Apple support would answer that for you

Find out for us and report results pls OP

Error: 410

I'm not sure that it would go down that easily, as the bootloader is completely different from anything else.

i believe once you format it booyloader is gone

We don't hate Macs or Apple. We hate the people who make poor choices in buying. Electronics are tools with advantages and disadvantages to each product individually. We hate these people for buying them for completely stupid use cases (Facebook machines??? Really!?). If it was a gift or if it was for a certain use case (editing?) we understand it. Just my two cents on the Mac vs Windows debate that had nothing to do with this thread.

Formatting it should delete it completely unless they stored a code that causes something like that guy who put a virus or something that remained on the hard drive through formatting and was hidden to the user.

Current System: CPU - I5-6500 | Motherboard - ASRock H170M-ITX/ac | RAM - Mushkin Blackline 16GB DDR4 @ 2400mHz | GPU - EVGA 1060 3GB | Case - Fractal Design Nano S | Storage - 250GB 850 EVO, 3TB Barracuda | PSU - EVGA 450W 80+ Bronze | Display - AOC 22" 1080p IPS | Cooling - Phanteks PH-TC12DX_BK | Keyboard - Cooler Master QuickFire Rapid(MX Blues) | Mouse - Logitech G602 | Sound - Schiit Stack | Operating System - Windows 10

The OG System: I3-2370M @ 2.4 GHz, 750GB 5400 RPM HDD, 8GB RAM @1333Mhz, Lenovo Z580 Laptop (Ubuntu 16.04 LTS).

Peripherals: G602, AKG 240, Sennheiser HD 6XX, Audio-Technica 2500, Oneplus 5T, Odroid C2(NAS).

Formatting it should delete it completely unless they stored a code that causes something like that guy who put a virus or something that remained on the hard drive through formatting and was hidden to the user.

Formatting will remove it completely but you might break the bootloader, meaning you can't boot into anything. Not worth it really.

I would keep OSX on the Mac for backup and precaution. Did you use Bootcamp? If so I hope you allocated as much hard drive space as possible for your Windows installation, that's what I would have done.

As others have said, it might break the bootloader itself, so having OSX on there, even in the smallest space possible, would be ideal.

Also, what if you ever want to sell, or gift the Mac later on(in a couple years)? You could just wipe the Windows installation and be done with it.

what you need to do is 
1. Follow this guide to create Mac OS install drive.. (Dont lose this) http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/apple-in-the-enterprise/how-to-create-a-bootable-usb-to-install-os-x-mavericks/

2. Download windows bootcamp software

3. Boot OS X installer and delete all partitions and format the drive to FAT32 (To select boot device hold OPTION press power button and wait..)

4. Boot Windows installer and install Windows

5. Install Bootcamp software

6. Enjoy!!

Sorce.. Mac owner..

CPU: i7 4770k | GPU: Sapphire 290 Tri-X OC | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LP 2x8GB | MTB: GA-Z87X-UD5HCOOLER: Noctua NH-D14 | PSU: Corsair 760i | CASE: Corsair 550D | DISPLAY:  BenQ XL2420TE

Firestrike scores - Graphics: 10781 Physics: 9448 Combined: 4289

"Nvidia, Fuck you" - Linus Torvald