Does anyone have experience with MozyPro?

nick name

My Father has engaged their service and they removed critical work software and its corresponding files from his PC.  They also removed Malwarebytes and Spybot Search & Destroy.  Those last ones being a huge red flag in my eyes.  

Has anyone used their service before?

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

I've never used them but from what you've described I'm thinking one of two things. It's either A. They're not really MozyPro or B. MozyPro are sketchy.

There's definitely alarm bells ringing in my head.

7 minutes ago, 1kv said:

I've never used them but from what you've described I'm thinking one of two things. It's either A. They're not really MozyPro or B. MozyPro are sketchy.

There's definitely alarm bells ringing in my head.

After looking them up they were owned by Dell and then sold to Carbonite.  I'm thinking it may have been that they shifted the software to their servers and didn't explain the process to my Father.  I am using a restore point created at their installation to hopefully recover the program they removed or simply moved and hopefully that will restore files.  If it doesn't then I will just have to hope that they are legit and my Father can call them up to get this all sorted out for him.  

AMD Ryzen 5800XFractal Design S36 360 AIO w/6 Corsair SP120L fans  |  Asus Crosshair VII WiFi X470  |  G.SKILL TridentZ 4400CL19 2x8GB @ 3800MHz 14-14-14-14-30  |  EVGA 3080 FTW3 Hybrid  |  Samsung 970 EVO M.2 NVMe 500GB - Boot Drive  |  Samsung 850 EVO SSD 1TB - Game Drive  |  Seagate 1TB HDD - Media Drive  |  EVGA 650 G3 PSU | Thermaltake Core P3 Case 

3 minutes ago, nick name said:

After looking them up they were owned by Dell and then sold to Carbonite.  So it may have been that they shifted the software to their servers and didn't explain the process to my Father.  I am using a restore point from their installation to hopefully recover the program they removed or simply moved and hopefully that will restore files.  If it doesn't then I will just have to hope that they are legit and my Father can call them up to get this all sorted out for him.  

Yeah, that might've been what happened. It seems like the most probable cause right now. 

2 minutes ago, 1kv said:

Yeah, that might've been what happened. It seems like the most probable cause right now. 

Not knowing what they were and knowing that my Father has trusted software I would never have installed I immediately went the restore point route.  I didn't wanna risk opening software I didn't recognize and have never heard of.  When it comes to computers and software -- I am very untrusting.  

Just now, nick name said:

Not knowing what they were and knowing that my Father has trusted software I would never have installed I immediately went the restore point route.  I didn't wanna risk opening software I didn't recognize and have never heard of.  When it comes to computers and software -- I am very untrusting.  

I generally don't trust software too. I always look into the developer and stuff before I install something unless I know it's from a trusted source like Microsoft or Steam.