Dr Chaz

Before we start, System Build Info:

Motherboard: ASUS X99-E ws/usb 3.1

CPU: i7-6850k @ 4.4 GHz Core Clock, 3.4 GHz Cache Clock, 1.4V Core

RAM: 32G DDR4 @ 2666 MHz

GPU: x2 NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE

PSU: HX1000i

Display: 3840x2160 @ 60 Hz

I've had this issue for a while and I am completely stumped.

On a few games (FFXIV, Dying Light, and WoW are the currently known) my computer will run those fine, on max settings, for anywhere between 1 minute to 10 minutes before crashing. It crashes via complete power shutdown; from then it will power flick on for a moment before ultimately completely shutting down and won't turn on. I resolve this power issue by turning off the PSU, wait for passive lighting to go away, turning the PSU on and it would boot just fine.

When I run those games again on max setting and SLI disabled, it would run just fine; other than the single GPU trying to run those games on max at 4k 60fps XD.

Both GPUs run just fine on their own but together, they have issues. Even when I run the games on medium settings with SLI, my computer will crash in the same way.

I had noticed for FFXIV by increasing the CPU cache clock by 600 MHz (from 2.8 GHz), it would run very slightly better.

try updating the bios to the latest , it seems over the 3 years since the board was out it's had many bios updates that specifically refer to system stability

The BIOS is fully updated. I keep it updated regularly.

• 4 weeks later...

Could a better SLI bridge be an answer to this issue? I'm getting many mixed answers in my research.

An update for my situation, I got a new monitor. 2560x1440 @144Hz. I'm still getting this issue but I'm not sure how frequent vs my other monitor.