144 hz possible?

bigmouthbob1
Go to solution Solved by Fasauceome,

Yes, don't expect max settings though

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

great! what would I need for max settings?

1 minute ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

great! what would I need for max settings?

1070 ti or 1080 at least, but that also depends on the game.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

1070 ti or 1080 at least, but that also depends on the game.

thank you so much! :) 

7 minutes ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

is the rx 580 8gb card possible of 144hz?

Depends on your CPU more for 144hz, the 580 can do it at medium settings without much issue in the average AAA game

Are you building a new PC or just upgrading?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

1 hour ago, Streetguru said:

Depends on your CPU more for 144hz, the 580 can do it at medium settings without much issue in the average AAA game

so what CPU would i need

3 minutes ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

so what CPU would i need

A fast one that favors single core speeds

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

14 minutes ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

so what CPU would i need

Are you building a new PC? if so what budget/country?

Any modern CPU that's an intel i7 4000 series or better or a Ryzen 5 CPU will be fine for getting higher fps in games, like over 100fps on average

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

Just now, Streetguru said:

Any modern CPU that's an intel i7 4000 series or better or a Ryzen 5 CPU will be fine for getting higher fps in games, like over 100fps on average

The frames depends on the GPU mostly. A great CPU will help and will be needed for high end GPU

No need to worry for a rx580 about your cpu if you have anything decent its fine.

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

1 minute ago, Streetguru said:

no, not building a new pc (wish i could though) just got enough money to upgrade to a 144hz monitor and a graphics card

1 minute ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

no, not building a new pc (wish i could though) just got enough money to upgrade to a 144hz monitor and a graphics card

Then what CPU do you have?

3 minutes ago, gbergeron said:

No need to worry for a rx580 about your cpu if you have anything decent its fine.

GPUs can always scale themselves down to have higher fps, you could turn down the render scale or just run a game at 720p to greatly boost the fps. If however you only had an old i5 with low clock speeds it doesn't matter if you have a 1080ti, because the slow CPU will always top out at like 60fps.

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

Then what CPU do you have?

GPUs can always scale themselves down to have higher fps, you could turn down the render scale or just run a game at 720p to greatly boost the fps. If however you only had an old i5 with low clock speeds it doesn't matter if you have a 1080ti, because the slow CPU will always top out at like 60fps.

i have a Pentium gold because i broke

2 minutes ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

i have a Pentium gold because i broke

Then you need to look at a benchmark with the games you want to play to see if you'll get 100fps or more

also what exact Pentium is it? If it's 2 cores/2 threads wouldn't bother

if it's 2 cores 4 threads you can use any i3 videos as well to gauge performance.

Spoiler

Then you need to look at a benchmark with the games you want to play to see if you'll get 100fps or more

also what exact Pentium is it? If it's 2 cores/2 threads wouldn't bother

if it's 2 cores 4 threads you can use any i3 videos as well to gauge performance.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/PvqhP6/intel-pentium-gold-g5400-37ghz-dual-core-processor-bx80684g5400

right now i can get 60 fps in most games

4 minutes ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

The G4560 should be pretty much the same thing if the clock speeds are the same, and the 1060 is the same as the RX 580

Shoulda gone Ryzen/AM4 my man, least then there's an upgrade path, that one is like Z270 maybe? so if you have a decent board the highest CPU you could get is an i7 7700 non K maybe, and that's probably overpriced and not worth it.

Wait for Ryzen 3000 to launch, it gets announced in janurary, $99 for a 6 core/12 thread MAYBE 5ghz potential chip is the RUMOR.

Or if your games run at over 100fps still just buy the 144hz display, like if it's CS:GO or something light.

Spoiler

5 minutes ago, Streetguru said:

The G4560 should be pretty much the same thing if the clock speeds are the same, and the 1060 is the same as the RX 580

Shoulda gone Ryzen/AM4 my man, least then there's an upgrade path, that one is like Z270 maybe? so if you have a decent board the highest CPU you could get is an i7 7700 non K maybe, and that's probably overpriced and not worth it.

Wait for Ryzen 3000 to launch, it gets announced in janurary, $99 for a 6 core/12 thread MAYBE 5ghz potential chip is the RUMOR.

Or if your games run at over 100fps still just buy the 144hz display, like if it's CS:GO or something light.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hZLy9J

that's my whole build. I've been having trouble finding places to sell my parts, so that's why I'm a little hesitant about changing my board. And about the amd, you're definitely right. I went with Intel because it was more well known and popular and a paid the price. I looked into it a few weeks after and i just kinda died a little inside.

33 minutes ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/hZLy9J

that's my whole build. I've been having trouble finding places to sell my parts, so that's why I'm a little hesitant about changing my board. And about the amd, you're definitely right. I went with Intel because it was more well known and popular and a paid the price. I looked into it a few weeks after and i just kinda died a little inside.

What I'd probably suggest you do is save your cash for a Ryzen 3000 APU...whenever they come out

The R3 2200G right now is about as fast as An RX 550/GT 1030, dunno if that's faster than the GPU you already have.

Or if you had a decent income for things like PC parts just buy the 144hz display since their price isn't likely to change anytime soon, and Ryzen 3000 is likely months away.

Spoiler

What I'd probably suggest you do is save your cash for a Ryzen 3000 APU...whenever they come out

The R3 2200G right now is about as fast as An RX 550/GT 1030, dunno if that's faster than the GPU you already have.

Or if you had a decent income for things like PC parts just buy the 144hz display since their price isn't likely to change anytime soon, and Ryzen 3000 is likely months away.

Its definitely faster than the GPU i have. Mines like 9 years old I think

10 minutes ago, bigmouthbob1 said:

Its definitely faster than the GPU i have. Mines like 9 years old I think

It's probably just fairly comparable maybe, the 5870 isn't as bad at 1080p as I thought it would be

it's like a hair slower than an R3 2200G with fast memory, and a bit slower than the RX 550, so not bad.

Spoiler