GPU Running on too little lanes

xXRunDeathXx

Hey folks,

i wondered if you could help me with a bit of trouble shooting.

First, this is my rig:

CPU: Intel i9-7900X

RAM: 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum

MB: ASUS TUF x299 Mark 1

GPU: Gigabyte GTX Titan X

Drives: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120 GB; Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1 TB; Samsung M.2 SSD 970 EVO 1 TB; WD HDD 2 TB

PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 1200 Watts

So here's the problem:

Even though i switched out my motherboard, memory and CPU my second GTX Titan X is still running only at 8 PCIe 3.0 lanes instead of 16.

My previous build was the i7-5930K, an MSI X99s Krait Edition Motherboard and Kingston Hyper X Fury 2133 MHz RAM.

Both builds had more than enough PCIe 3.0 Lanes available and i remember when i first assembled the system both GPUs ran on 16x but i don't know when it stopped.

So in summary i changed the Motherboard twice (once for testing), i switched the memory and CPU and switched the Slots for the GPUs and even tried the one that's causing

problems in single mode in the same slot the other GPU runs on 16 lanes. I never reached 16 lanes on that card again.

For some reason the two cards have different BIOSes but i don't think that this causes the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

1 minute ago, LinusOnLine said:

You M.2 drive is probably in the wrong port. 

I didn't have an M.2 on the previous Motherboard and there is no way it's in the wrong port

Just now, xXRunDeathXx said:

I didn't have an M.2 on the previous Motherboard and there is no way it's in the wrong port

Its a common problem but since you are sure the M.2 drive is in the slot that does not steal 4 PCIE lanes you probably know more than me :)

It is the second M.2 port that will not steal your PCIE lanes on Asus cards btw :)

3 minutes ago, LinusOnLine said:

Its a common problem but since you are sure the M.2 drive is in the slot that does not steal 4 PCIE lanes you probably know more than me :)

It is the second M.2 port that will not steal your PCIE lanes on Asus cards btw :)

The 7900X has 44 lanes.

2 minutes ago, LinusOnLine said:

it doesn't matter because even if it stole 4 lanes you can easily calculate it: 2 GPUs on 16 lanes = 32 lanes + 4 for the maybe wrong M.2 = 36 PCIe Lanes needed. My CPU provides 44 PCIe 3.0 Lanes

So you have both cards in under load?

Does the board actually have full 16x slots that the other card is in? Does using a specific slot affect the m.2?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

22 minutes ago, xXRunDeathXx said:

Hey folks,

i wondered if you could help me with a bit of trouble shooting.

First, this is my rig:

CPU: Intel i9-7900X

RAM: 32 GB DDR4 3600 MHz Corsair Dominator Platinum

MB: ASUS TUF x299 Mark 1

GPU: Gigabyte GTX Titan X

Drives: Samsung SSD 840 EVO 120 GB; Samsung SSD 840 EVO 1 TB; Samsung M.2 SSD 970 EVO 1 TB; WD HDD 2 TB

PSU: BeQuiet Dark Power Pro 11 1200 Watts

So here's the problem:

Even though i switched out my motherboard, memory and CPU my second GTX Titan X is still running only at 8 PCIe 3.0 lanes instead of 16.

My previous build was the i7-5930K, an MSI X99s Krait Edition Motherboard and Kingston Hyper X Fury 2133 MHz RAM.

Both builds had more than enough PCIe 3.0 Lanes available and i remember when i first assembled the system both GPUs ran on 16x but i don't know when it stopped.

So in summary i changed the Motherboard twice (once for testing), i switched the memory and CPU and switched the Slots for the GPUs and even tried the one that's causing

problems in single mode in the same slot the other GPU runs on 16 lanes. I never reached 16 lanes on that card again.

For some reason the two cards have different BIOSes but i don't think that this causes the problem.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Did you check if it's set to run in 16x / 16x in the BIOS? Maybe it got accidently changed to 16x / 8x.

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

So you have both cards in under load?

Does the board actually have full 16x slots that the other card is in? Does using a specific slot affect the m.2?

Yes, both under load, tested with 3dMark and GPU-Z. The board support 16x on both slots, the previous board did too (i double and tripple checked the correct configuration)

The M.2 is plugged into the dedicated Port on the Motherboard, i noticed no difference what so ever

Just now, xXRunDeathXx said:

Yes, both under load, tested with 3dMark and GPU-Z. The board support 16x on both slots, the previous board did too (i double and tripple checked the correct configuration)

The M.2 is plugged into the dedicated Port on the Motherboard, i noticed no difference what so ever

And the manual clearly shows that configuration? Using the slots it specifies?

Bios has been updated?

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

26 minutes ago, Arttu89 said:

Did you check if it's set to run in 16x / 16x in the BIOS? Maybe it got accidently changed to 16x / 8x.

i just did, it's set to Gen 3.0. couldn't find any specific setting for the actual lane count

23 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

And the manual clearly shows that configuration? Using the slots it specifies?

Bios has been updated?

BIOS is updated (yesterday),slot configuration is 100 % correct and as i mentioned the card isn't even runnning on 16 lanes when it's plugged in in single mode (only one card)

Welp, not much you can do then. Unless you want to flash the card. If everything is 100% correct and working as it should aside from the card, there is nothing wrong. That can’t wont saturate 8x at 3.0 anyway. 

4 minutes ago, xXRunDeathXx said:

BIOS is updated (yesterday),slot configuration is 100 % correct and as i mentioned the card isn't even runnning on 16 lanes when it's plugged in in single mode (only one card)

Does it run in 8x in single mode even if you move it to the top most slot or do you mean single mode but in the 2nd 16x slot? Even though it would be quite unusual, if it runs only in 8x regardless of where you mount it then it would be a problem on the card itself.

1 minute ago, Arttu89 said:

Does it run in 8x in single mode even if you move it to the top most slot or do you mean single mode but in the 2nd 16x slot? Even though it would be quite unusual, if it runs only in 8x regardless of where you mount it then it would be a problem on the card itself.

It runs on 8x no matter the configuration. I know there is a problem with the card. what i'm trying to figure out is WHAT the problem is ?

3 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Welp, not much you can do then. Unless you want to flash the card. If everything is 100% correct and working as it should aside from the card, there is nothing wrong. That can’t wont saturate 8x at 3.0 anyway. 

i tried to flash the BIOS of the Card but the tool provided by Gigabyte didn't work at all. I know there won't be a noticable difference (about 1 % difference i read somwhere) but i paid for 16 lane support so i kinda want to have that

7 minutes ago, xXRunDeathXx said:

It runs on 8x no matter the configuration. I know there is a problem with the card. what i'm trying to figure out is WHAT the problem is ?

Haha, you should've led with that. ?

As Mick just suggested you can try flashing the card, it might help.

The only other thing would be checking the PCIe connector on the card for dirt/damage although I assume you probably tried cleaning it by now a couple of times. Since you have 2 of the cards it's quite easy to lay them side by side and check for any visible diffrences on and around the connector that could point to a problem area, aside of that it can only be an issue deeper in on the PCB, unless the cards are still under warranty there's not much you can do at this point. If it is under warranty I'd just RMA the faulty one.