PC Upgrade!

Fipsmeister

Hi there!

Once 2018 is over I'm looking into upgrading my PC. The reason I'm upgrading is mainly for editing, because After Effects is a pain in the butt at the moment. However, I'm also looking into integrating my own gaming videos into the editing process, so I guess what I want is a jack of all trades? Plus, I'm a gamer, too, and the new stuff just runs mediocre at best. I'm as far from an expert as I can be and understand like 20% of the LTT content (And watch it anyway, ha), but I'm guessing whatever gaming rig you can come up with is probably able to handle my editing, too? (Mostly 1080p, and whatever gaming records would be 1440p)

Here's what I'm working with at the moment:

Dell U2713HM 1440p (Plus a HannsG 1680*1050 for dual-tasking/watching/editing/general tomfoolery and a Samsung TV over HDMI) I will definitely keep this and don't see me getting a 4k Monitor anytime soon.

MSI z87-G45 Gaming (MS-7821) with a broken GPU Slot, but it hasn't been a problem ever, I got a professional to remove it completely.

Intel Core i5 4670K with a Thermalright Macho Rev.A(BW) heatsink

R9 290 4GB GDDR5 512bit that has a Arctic Accelero Xtreme IV on top for some decent overclocking

An Antec 520 Watt HCG as power supply

2x 4TB HDDs

8GB DDR3

All fit into a Stryker SE from Cooler Master.

I hope I didn't forget anything important.

So, the only thing that I am100% sure about is that I definitely need a SSD. 250gb minimum. The more the better.

I'm from Germany and my budget is 500-600€ (About 550$-660$). I can theoretically invest some more, but only if it makes sense. I'm a bang-for-my-buck kinda guy. There's a decent site where I do most of my shopping, so I'll check for the best prices myself, don't want to bother you beautiful people too much ?

I'm open to anything, really. Absolutely no preferences whether Nvidia/AMD or whatever. My buddy works in IT and he'll help me to build it all together, so watercooling is an option, too. I'll do some overclocking as well. Or no watercooling if that's too expensive. If it's possible to re-use my old components with new stuff, that's great.

Oh well, before i ramble on and on, I'll just submit now =D

Thanks for taking the time!

An SSD, i7-4790k and new GPU sound like the way to go to me.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

Your PC budget won't get you much new stuff, if you want the platform upgrade you'll need to sell your current stuff to afford a better graphics card, but if you're patient you'll make it work

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Thanks! How much money would I be looking at here if I'm to sell whatever I'm replacing? (As in, probably the CPU and GPU or is there a chance to sell the Motherboard and RAM, too?)
I can probably get someone to lend me some more money. I can also wait a little longer and save up some more and just buy in a month or two, if there's no significant increase in the performance that I can buy with my current budget. But anything more than 800€ is not going to happen anytime soon.

12 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Your PC budget won't get you much new stuff, if you want the platform upgrade you'll need to sell your current stuff to afford a better graphics card, but if you're patient you'll make it work

I'd recommend upgrading his PSU to something like an RMx/RMi or G2 too. An Antec HCG isn't really that great

Ryzen 7 3700X / 16GB RAM / Optane SSD / GTX 1650 / Solus Linux

Alright, things have changed a bit xD

Budget got a tad bigger and after I showed my buddy this thread, we decided to buy a tad more expensive stuff for me.

It came down to:

MSI B450M GAMING AMD B450 So.AM4 Dual Channel DDR4 mATX Retail

500GB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 2280 NVMe PCIe 3.0 x4 32Gb/s 3D-NAND TLC (MZ-V7E500BW)

16GB (2x 8192MB) G.Skill RipJaws V schwarz DDR4-3200 DIMM CL16-18-18-38 Dual Kit

And a AMD Ryzen 7 2700X

However I am still missing a GPU, obviously. I can theoretically go up to 500€ for it, but I really rather not push that limit. I would be a whole lot more comfortable with something around 300-350. I haven't really checked for any AMD cards in this price range, because my buddy said while they might be okay for whatever editing I will be doing, if it comes to gaming, I shouldn't get any AMD cards nowadays. I only ever used AMD cards and never had any issues with them. (Iirc started with a 4670HD and then upgraded to my current R9 290, both amazing for their price at the time in my opinion) So I don't know...

I found that the 1070 can be bought for 300€ and the 1070Ti for 430€ and I've no idea if they're actually worth their price tags. Or if it's a sensible upgrade to do.

Halp! =D

Edit: I would also be willing to wait a few months if there's anything sweet coming on the market in that price range ?