3 sticks of ram not working

mrob111

I already have two sticks of 4gb ram installed in my computer and i have 8  gb total. It is Corsair Vengeance 3000 mhz , i bought one more stick of 8gb ram ( same corsair ram and speed)

and put it into my computer and it did not boot. will i need to replace the 8gb stick with 2 sticks of 4gb? thanks in advance

1 hour ago, mrob111 said:

I already have two sticks of 4gb ram installed in my computer and i have 8  gb total. It is Corsair Vengeance 3000 mhz , i bought one more stick of 8gb ram ( same corsair ram and speed)

and put it into my computer and it did not boot. will i need to replace the 8gb stick with 2 sticks of 4gb? thanks in advance

I think that is the problem. Seems your memory is pretty sensitive. My pc wont even take 4 sticks unless all 4 are same brand.

The real procedure would be:

First, check your motherobards QVL, for brand, model, speed, timings and possible configuration (single channel, dual, etc)

Then you buy the ram, and then you install it in the suggested slots by the manufacturer user manual.

Be carefull when installing RAM modules to properly sit the module in the slot, pressing with both thumbs one in every corner, keeping equal force (tilt the pc if necessary). Clips should lock themseves into position, bot at the same time if done properly.

You are mixing dual channel with single chanel ram, also, different sizes, so it may not even be supported. I'd recommend you to buy 2x4 instead of 1x8 but since i dont know which SKU you got nor the motherboard you have, it may not be a real solution. I can recall some AMDs boards to support that kind of configuration in Unganged mode. You may aswell test that out if you are in an AMD platform.

You were probably running 2X4GB on dual channel so just adding an 8GB module without changing the position of the original 4GB modules will result in 4GB + 12GB on two channels. Check your motherboard manual to see which slot for which channel. You should put the two 4GB modules in one channel and the 8GB module in another channel so that you have 8GB on both channels.