AutoCad Help

Go to solution Solved by Jotoco,

You might think you need a good graphics card for 2D AutoCAD, you don't. Source: Me, I am an Engineer and use this program all the time. 

You will me better served by a good CPU, SSD and a good amount of RAM. Even if you have only integrated graphics. 

VERY few Engineering programs use the GPU. Mostly for 3D rendering. If you're a Architecture student that does a lot of 3D rendering, or a mechanical student that constantly works with 3D design, it might make sense to pay a little extra for a dedicated GPU. 

But for 2D Cad and most other Engineering programs, you don't need it.

I am a Electrical Engineer for reference. 

To be honest, my Surface pro 4, i5 4GB RAM was fine for 2D AutoCad, you wouldn't notice any slowdown with 1 project and an Excel spreadsheet open at a time. Which is not something you will always do after sometime. As you progress you will probably be working with multiple projects, spreadsheets and possibly other software open, that is when RAM comes in. 

Grab a good i5 or 7 (can be U series, no problem, 8th gen if possible), a nice fast SSD and 16GB of RAM and you will be set. 

Graphics card is just icing on the cake. Icing that will kill your battery life if you opt for it. 

I was looking at this laptop for college use. My use case is Programming, 2D CAD, computer modelling and simulation. Will this one serve me good? It has a core i7 8550u, 8gb ram and a 1tb hdd. I will dump a 250gb ssd in it. And it also has a AMD Radeon 540 4GB GDDR5 Graphics for the cost of 1028 US Dollars? So please help me out hereimage.png.4efc25bfa3b9e6e2470b2671582d8ab7.png

9 minutes ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

Do you 100% need a laptop? Do you only need it for AutoCAD?

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

That isn't too great for 1K USD, mind you it will likely cost more due to your country. I would still try to find something with a 8750H and a 1050TI, but that might not be possible in your country.

Current Desktop Build | 2200G | RX 580 4GB | 8GB RAM | CTRL | Logitech G Pro Wireless

Laptop | 2018 MBA 256/16GB | MX Master 

4 hours ago, Streetguru said:

This will be for use in college as i already have a AMD Ryzen 5 1500X and a GTX 1050TI based desktop to handle it. I need a laptop for presenting my CAD Designs to teachers when im in college

4 hours ago, zlolslavez said:

That isn't too great for 1K USD, mind you it will likely cost more due to your country. I would still try to find something with a 8750H and a 1050TI, but that might not be possible in your country.

Yes its too much this was the only one i could find the lenovo one i mentioned

Not only AutoCAD but also programming, taking notes and all. Project presentations

What's your budget in INR? Any preference on weight and battery life?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

8 hours ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

This will be for use in college as i already have a AMD Ryzen 5 1500X and a GTX 1050TI based desktop to handle it. I need a laptop for presenting my CAD Designs to teachers when im in college

If you always have wifi you can just remote desktop into your desktop PC and get it's full speed without much latency.

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

8 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

75000. Any weight and battery life will do

If you always have wifi you can just remote desktop into your desktop PC and get it's full speed without much latency.

Well that is the issue. My home network kinda sucks. 

8 hours ago, GeneXiS_X said:

There are a lot of mixed reviews regarding the laptop for engineering students which is making me confused.

Spoiler

5 hours ago, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

75000. Any weight and battery life will do

Can bump up budget to 80000?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

You might think you need a good graphics card for 2D AutoCAD, you don't. Source: Me, I am an Engineer and use this program all the time. 

You will me better served by a good CPU, SSD and a good amount of RAM. Even if you have only integrated graphics. 

VERY few Engineering programs use the GPU. Mostly for 3D rendering. If you're a Architecture student that does a lot of 3D rendering, or a mechanical student that constantly works with 3D design, it might make sense to pay a little extra for a dedicated GPU. 

To be honest, my Surface pro 4, i5 4GB RAM was fine for 2D AutoCad, you wouldn't notice any slowdown with 1 project and an Excel spreadsheet open at a time. Which is not something you will always do after sometime. As you progress you will probably be working with multiple projects, spreadsheets and possibly other software open, that is when RAM comes in. 

Grab a good i5 or 7 (can be U series, no problem, 8th gen if possible), a nice fast SSD and 16GB of RAM and you will be set. 

Graphics card is just icing on the cake. Icing that will kill your battery life if you opt for it. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/27/2018 at 1:52 PM, GeneXiS_X said:

Can bump up budget to 80000?

im ready for it

On 12/27/2018 at 6:09 PM, Jotoco said:

the lenovo one i mentioned is a core i7 8550u. ram ssd are upgradable so will definitely go for a 16gb upgrade.

On 1/7/2019 at 12:33 AM, Roschlynn Dsouza said:

im ready for it

Lenovo Y7000 with i7-8750H (from Newegg India, price including VAT)

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

On 1/8/2019 at 8:29 AM, GeneXiS_X said:

Lenovo Y7000 with i7-8750H (from Newegg India, price including VAT)

Thanks for the help will check it out. Hope they give student discount