Display showing no Input

Phineas Jack

So my friend received a prebuilt pc as a christmas present. They were playing it fine but frames were lower than I thought they should, so I had them check their devices and the gpu (amd rx 580) was not visible. It was missing on Speccy as well. I had them reseat the gpu and now they are unable to get the display to work with the pc at all. I'm at my wits end at this point and they're considering just paying someone to find the problem for them. 

The list of fixes I've had them try is as follows:

Reseat gpu

Reseat RAM in each of the slots

Make sure the display is displaying the correct source

Have computer power supply unplugged from wall and hold power button for 30 seconds to a minute

Try running pc without gpu and plug hdmi cable into motherboard port

Try running pc with gpu and plug hdmi cable into gpu port

Use a DVI connector instead of hdmi

Those are all the fixes I know were tried, they said that on startup the fans will go on full, then slow down, but then ramp up now and again for a few minutes. GPU fans and cpu fans do spin.

I'll take any ideas at this point beyond asking them to take out the cmos battery, because I don't trust myself to do it, so I would not ask them to.

Are you sure they are doing all of this right?? Can you try the monitor with another source like a console or something also if they have a TV let them try hooking up the PC to the TV and you will find out whether the problemis the PC or the Monitor. Could be the cable too but you have already tried DVI. 

They've used their old pc with the monitor, since it's brand new, so I don't think the monitor is the issue. I might try asking them to plug in their old slightly smashed monitor however tomorrow, just for the sake of trying, and see if anything changes.

I mean, not being there makes this very difficult, but....

does the gpu have required pci-e power plugged in?

Did you make sure they didn't zap anything with static electricity?

Is there a MOBO speaker? or codes?

Yea, tell me about it. it's hell

The gpu does have it's pci-e power plugged in

I honestly don't know if they zapped anything with static, they don't think they did.

As for mobo speaker, they haven't said it's made any noise when booting up, so I'm not entirely sure if it has a mobo speaker. That could be very possible it's trying to give a code that he can't hear.

I don't see why you should be intimidated by taking out the CMOS battery. Just make sure everything is shut down and unplugged before you do it and don't go stabbing and scraping your screwdriver around the motherboard to get it out.  There's probably a more thorough and careful walkthrough easily accessible somewhere on these forums.

I don't know that resetting BIOS would fix anything because it doesn't sound like any BIOS settings were changed, but it may be worth a try.

Update: They just took out the gpu, turned on the system, "let it run for a bit", and its running fine on shivers integrated graphics. For the sake of my sanity and theirs they said they'll just make do on that for now. until they go to a pc shop, since they're too nervous to poke it anymore. Thanks for all the tips guys. Personally I think whatever was wrong would be alot easier to fix if it was in person. If they do find out "what's wrong" I'll post back here if it won't necro the topic. :(

I just reread the original post, if it was a prebuilt can he call their tech support?  Having an undetected GPU out of the box sounds like a problem before he got it.