Ubuntu problem

Hey guys! As you may know that support for windows is gonna stop in the month of April. So i thought of putting ubuntu in my old pc. I downloaded it from their website and it has finished downloading. Now, after opening the file, i have many folders in it, And out of it, one is "wubi.exe". i extracted it and nothing happened. What? Is it good? What should I do next?

Here's a pic:

post-29727-0-76986100-1389544032_thumb.j

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Okay, the wubi.exe is a file to install ubuntu kind of inside windows, but not totally, the ubuntu files will sit inside your windows partition, but you'll be able to boot into it from the windows boot manager.

Personally I wouldn't really recommend it, if you don't want windows anymore, burn the ubuntu ISO to a disk to install it that way.

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

Personally I wouldn't really recommend it, if you don't want windows anymore, burn the ubuntu ISO to a disk to install it that way.

I have a spare 4gb usb that i just got from my box. can i use it?

[spoiler=CORMAC]CPU:Intel celeron 1.6ghz RAM:Kingston 400mhz 1.99gb MOBO:MSI G31TM-P21 GPU:Will add one later on! CASE:local ROUTER D-Link 2750U, D-LINK 2730U MOUSE:HP,DELL,ViP KEYBOARD: v7 SPEAKERS:Creative 245  MONITOR:AOC E970Sw HEADSET: Sony MDRx05s UPS:conex ups avr 500va PSU:idk OD:Samsung super writemaster STORAGE:80 gb seagate+ Seagate 1TB OS:Windows xp sp3 themed to Windows 7 + Linux |Rest all pc in my house will be updated from time-time

COMING SOON

Okay, the wubi.exe is a file to install ubuntu kind of inside windows, but not totally, the ubuntu files will sit inside your windows partition, but you'll be able to boot into it from the windows boot manager.

Okay, but how to do it? download it again in a usb? please help!

COMING SOON

Yes. You can use tools like Pendrivelinux to burn the ISO to the usb drive and boot from it. You select the distro, point to the ISO, select your drive and click create, the slider is optional, it is only required if you were using it as a live OS and wanted to keep the files you create/modify.

i'm a potato

Okay, but how to do it? download it again in a usb? please help!

To be clear here, you want to install Ubuntu onto the flash drive totally, and be able to run Ubuntu from only the flash drive? Or do you want the .iso on the flash drive to run a live usb session/install over windows?

To be clear here, you want to install Ubuntu onto the flash drive totally, and be able to run Ubuntu from only the flash drive? Or do you want the .iso on the flash drive to run a live usb session/install over windows?

Which would be better? .ISO? or the other one?

COMING SOON

Which would be better? .ISO? or the other one?

You'll want the ISO

Arch Linux on Samsung 840 EVO 120GB: Startup finished in 1.334s (kernel) + 224ms (userspace) = 1.559s | U mad windoze..?

You'll want the ISO

So, a DVD?

COMING SOON

So, a DVD?

You can write an ISO to a USB using tools like unetbootin etx. 

Oh god what are you doing :P

1. backup all your files

2. download this http://rufus.akeo.ie/

3. download this (13.10/32bit) http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

4. use rufus to create a bootable USB (at least 4gb) with the Ubuntu ISO (don't change any settings - just click the little CD icon and locate the ISO then start)

5. reboot

6. during reboot press whatever your boot selection button is (usually f11)

7. select the USB

8. follow the installation prompts

9. done.

By the way, I think Elementary OS is much better than Ubuntu in terms of UI (it's Ubuntu underneath, but with a better UI). Regular Ubuntu looks horrible because of Unity.

http://elementaryos.org/

The steps are exactly the same as above. Just put $0 in the download box if you don't want to pay for it, and select 32bit.

Laptop Lenovo Thinkpad X220 - CPU: i5 2420m - RAM: 8gb - SSD: Samsung 830 - IPS screen Peripherals Monitor: Dell U2713HM - KB: Ducky shine w/PBT (MX Blue) - Mouse: Corsair M60

Audio Beyerdynamic DT990pro headphones - Audioengine D1 DAC/AMP - Swan D1080-IV speakers

Oh god what are you doing :P

1. backup all your files

2. download this http://rufus.akeo.ie/

3. download this (13.10/32bit) http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop

4. use rufus to create a bootable USB (at least 4gb) with the Ubuntu ISO (don't change any settings - just click the little CD icon and locate the ISO then start)

5. reboot

6. during reboot press whatever your boot selection button is (usually f11)

7. select the USB

8. follow the installation prompts

9. done.

By the way, I think Elementary OS is much better than Ubuntu in terms of UI (it's Ubuntu underneath, but with a better UI). Regular Ubuntu looks horrible because of Unity.

http://elementaryos.org/

The steps are exactly the same as above. Just put $0 in the download box if you don't want to pay for it, and select 32bit.

You know, everything is fine, but i forgot my bios pass, so i can't enter it :(

COMING SOON

@universalusbinstaller

You know, everything is fine, but i forgot my bios pass, so i can't enter it :(

Take out the battery

Take out the battery

Just take it out and put it back?

COMING SOON

Just take it out and put it back?

Make sure the power supply is off take out the battery for a minute and put it back in. It'll reset the bios so you may need need to mess with a couple things like timing and sata mode

Make sure the power supply is off take out the battery for a minute and put it back in. It'll reset the bios so you may need need to mess with a couple things like timing and sata mode

I'l try it tonight. :) Thanks though :)

COMING SOON

Hope this all goes well. Feel free to PM me at anytime

Cpu: Intel i5- 4570 | Ram: Crucial DDR3 8GB | Video Card: Evega GTX 660 Ti 2GB Super Clocked

Monitor: Philips 24" | Keyboard: CM Storm Quickfire TK | Mouse: Logitech G700s |

Steam