Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

diy security

TheBean

I am planning to set up my own DIY security system at home. I want to use the tutorial that LTT made with the ras pi's linked together with motion eye os. But, I want to know of there is a way to be able to access a hard drive that I will hook up to the main ras pi from outside of the home network. 

My current plan: get 3 ras pi zero with a camera. get ras pi 3 b+ as the main encoder that is connected to the ras pi zero (as per Jake's tutorial post), a hard drive and connected to a router (router is connected to the internet). then, install some sort of software on the b+ that will let me access the video stream from a tablet over the router's connection (without the need to go over the internet [local]). i should also be able to access the stream remotely through the internet by going over the wifi, to the router, and then access the camera stream on the hard drive. the b+ should only ever need to use the internet to send the stream when required. 

bonus: have 24/7 rolling storage on the hdd and also clips of motion only in a separate folder in the hdd. 

What Electronics Wizardry said. I did the same for my house, I installed 3 netgear cameras and got a generic 1080p monitor to permanently show all 3 camera views on my desk. 

The easiest (but more expensive) option is to go with the Arlo security system, incredibly easy to set up but you won't be able to have a 24/7 view of the cameras because they run on batteries. They only record on motion. 

If you want easy setup and wireless cameras, and only want to record on motion (get emailed if motion is detected) go with Arlo.

If you want a dedicated viewing monitor with wired (more reliable) cameras go with IP cameras like netgear. 

Don't forget that infrared reflects on glass! You won't be able to use IR (nightvision) if the cameras are behind glass. This also means no motion detection! 

If you do choose your own IP camera software like Blue iris / Milestone / Zoneminder - pick one and then look at their supported cameras. Dont just buy whatever you want and then hope it works (talking from experience). Also given the nature of WiFi and UDP - avoid when possible. Any type of noise/interface in the video feed will cause your camera software to detect motion since it's a "change".