Windows 10 Home PC question

Vashta

Hello Guys & Gals,

I am new to the site and need some help if possible.

I own a new Pre-built PC a few months and have some problems.

I have done no less than 7 factory resets from problems and am finally at wits end.

So i need some info on fixing the pc.

I want to wipe the drive and do a fresh install of windows 10 home 64bit on the pc.

I downloaded the Media creation tool from Microsoft and have it on a usb stick so that part is set.

But still need some info I am unsure about.

My Computer did not come with Windows code as it is saved in the bios.

So if I do start a fresh install does windows see the Windows code stored in the bios or do I need to find it in bios first?

Next, When I try to reinstall windows from scratch do I need to install the Mobo Chipset driver during windows install?

I have been told by local computer shops yes and no which is why I am asking.

Also is it only the chipset drivers that need installing during Windows reinstall, and the rest of the drivers are installed after windows install is done?

At that point I guess I would just download the mobo software first and then install so I can monitor temps and change mobo rgb colors, is that correct?

The company whos PC i bought is no help even thou system is on warranty which is why I am doing this.

My system restore feature never works.

I get registry errors  and main programs give errors while installing.

And many other issues.

They say it is a windows problem and to contact Windows.

Windows says it will cost me well over $200.00 for their help.

I ran many repair and refresh windows all failed to fix my problems.

I think that is all my questions thou I might think of more.

Any help would be great.

Thanks in advance

Vashta

Have a great Christmas and Holiday Season

19 minutes ago, Vashta said:

So if I do start a fresh install does windows see the Windows code stored in the bios or do I need to find it in bios first?

it will find it for you.

19 minutes ago, Vashta said:

Also is it only the chipset drivers that need installing during Windows reinstall, and the rest of the drivers are installed after windows install is done?

all drivers are installed after windows unless there needed to install windows(like storage)

20 minutes ago, Vashta said:

At that point I guess I would just download the mobo software first and then install so I can monitor temps and change mobo rgb colors, is that correct?

yep

Hi, I'm no expert but I'll try to help.

First of all, I see you mention registry errors and programs not installing correctly. Could you specify a bit more?

I don't know how Windows keys stored in bios work, but I'll read something on it to see if I can help more. My guess is as long as you don't change hardware it should activate properly.

Usually drivers install when installing Windows and you should be ready to run.

Anyway, you say the pc is on warranty. If I were you I'd get the company to fix it (even if they are not willing) because it's their obligation to fix it.

2 hours ago, Otatyaro said:

Hi, I'm no expert but I'll try to help.

First of all, I see you mention registry errors and programs not installing correctly. Could you specify a bit more?

I don't know how Windows keys stored in bios work, but I'll read something on it to see if I can help more. My guess is as long as you don't change hardware it should activate properly.

Usually drivers install when installing Windows and you should be ready to run.

Anyway, you say the pc is on warranty. If I were you I'd get the company to fix it (even if they are not willing) because it's their obligation to fix it.

Hello Otatyaro,

Errors I get while installing Programs vary but say something similar to "An error occured during the installation of assembly component. Hresult 0x80070490" .

Next System Restore will not work ever.

If I turn it on for drive "c:" I can never create a restore point ever!

If I go back into restore setting I can't shut off as drive letters are gone. That even happens after doing full factory restore.

As for Warranty the Company says they will not fix a software problem.

They say if I pay I can send it back to them but they will only do a system reset which I have done 7 times myself.

I have no virus or malware 100% sure.

I have done sfc /scannow and every Dism to check, find and fix issues and none work.

Done Chkdsk  as well and nothing.

I assume the installing they put on system in factory is glitched.

Its even worse now because of crapping Windows 10 1809 which royally goofed up lots.

I have given up trying to repair which leave me with one option, which is to do a full wipe and install windows from scratch without a Partition for factory reset.

Maybe then I can enable the system restore option and maybe programs will start installing without errors.

I wanted to be sure before I go ahead with a full wipe and reinstall as I have not done on this system yet.

Thanks

Vashta

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

it will find it for you.

all drivers are installed after windows unless there needed to install windows(like storage)

yep

Hello Electronics Wizardy,

Thanks for the fast reply.

So am I correct that chipset drivers need to be installed during Windows install?

My old PC had Gigabyte Mobo and they told be on my old PC that Drives had to be installed for chipset during Windows install.

And local shops I called said chipset drives had to be put on during Windows install and some said Windows would do it on its own if it needs them.

So I just want to be sure.

Thanks

Vashta

1 hour ago, Vashta said:

So am I correct that chipset drivers need to be installed during Windows install?

No drivers to install during the windows install, install them all after

12 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

No drivers to install during the windows install, install them all after

Hello Electronics Wizardy,

Ok Thanks I will do the change Early Jan after holidays as to busy now.

Thanks for all your help.

Have a great Christmas and Holiday Season.

Vashta

Hey Guys,

Got a couple follow-up questions.

If I have an SSD from my old system "c:" drive and I want to use it on new system as the new "c:" drive.

If the drive is partitioned can i simply plug the drive in and then when I install windows again will it wipe the partitions on it into one partition?

Also if that drive has a root virus would installing Windows on it wipe out the virus?

Or how could I wipe the old ssd with the virus on it so drive can be used safely?

Thanks in advance

Vashta