Help: PC build!

AustinHedges

Hello!

As the title says I need help with a new build. I love my PC but it's 6 years old and I'm starting to have difficulties with new titles on my GTX660! Winter steam sales got me this year. Now I have saved $1500CAD since the start of the year to put towards a new rig. However I'm not too knowledgeable on what is good and what isn't, there are too many options, its become more stressful than anything.

I am open to any suggestions, and appreciate all help, I'm beyond excited to get started!

What games are you playing? What resolution? What games do you plan to buy from the sale?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

I only got Monster Hunter World! Would also like to try Darksouls. Only really played WoW so never needed to upgrade in previous years.

8 hours ago, mxk. said:

What games are you playing? What resolution? What games do you plan to buy from the sale?

Sorry still learning my way around the forums here.

Just now, AustinHedges said:

Sorry still learning my way around the forums here.

All good. If those are the only games you plan to play you don't even really have to spend the 1.5k CAD. What's your monitor's resolution? And do you need a mouse and keyboard?

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

Just now, mxk. said:

All good. If those are the only games you plan to play you don't even really have to spend the 1.5k CAD. What's your monitor's resolution? And do you need a mouse and keyboard?

1920x1080, my monitors are pushing 8 years now. and my ducky keyboard is still holding together so I'm good on that, mouse is fine as well. I wouldn't mind a new rig, It's fun to take care of! I can also feel my PC struggle with mundane tasks too occasionally.

Here's a list I quickly threw up. I'm not very experienced in picking parts so I would advise you to ask around some more. I also threw in a decent monitor I've been using for 3 years now in case you want to get a better one.

5 minutes ago, AustinHedges said:

1920x1080, my monitors are pushing 8 years now. and my ducky keyboard is still holding together so I'm good on that, mouse is fine as well. I wouldn't mind a new rig, It's fun to take care of! I can also feel my PC struggle with mundane tasks too occasionally.

So you are going to need a new monitor as well? If so this closes the budget for the actual PC itself closer to $800 - $1000.

Since this is the case, i would personally go AMD. Heres why, AMD's AM4 socket will be supported through 2020.

Heres my build right now:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rz3hJ8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rz3hJ8/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card  ($334.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case  ($96.85 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: EVGA - 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($68.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1068.58
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-23 12:24 EST-0500

You do with this what you will, but i think if you go AMD am4 and get the 2600, 2600x and save your money for the new Ryzen 3000 series coming out then you will do fine. You may want to change this build to be more budget friendly since you will probabaly need a new keyboard and mouse as well.

1 minute ago, PurplDrank said:

So you are going to need a new monitor as well? If so this closes the budget for the actual PC itself closer to $800 - $1000.

Since this is the case, i would personally go AMD. Heres why, AMD's AM4 socket will be supported through 2020.

Heres my build right now:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rz3hJ8
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Rz3hJ8/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600X 3.6 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($209.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: Asus - ROG STRIX B450-F GAMING ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($128.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory  ($129.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - BX500 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($38.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Seagate - Barracuda 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($59.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: Asus - GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB Video Card  ($334.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case  ($96.85 @ Walmart)
Power Supply: EVGA - 650 W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($68.89 @ OutletPC)
Total: $1068.58
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-23 12:24 EST-0500

You do with this what you will, but i think if you go AMD am4 and get the 2600, 2600x and save your money for the new Ryzen 3000 series coming out then you will do fine. You may want to change this build to be more budget friendly since you will probabaly need a new keyboard and mouse as well.

wow! thank you so much this is in depth, I really appreciate the time you took to do this, I'll be set with this!

7 minutes ago, MysteriousAeon said:

Here's a list I quickly threw up. I'm not very experienced in picking parts so I would advise you to ask around some more. I also threw in a decent monitor I've been using for 3 years now in case you want to get a better one.

MysteriousAeons build is really good, it is an intel build. I would normally tell people to go with the i5 8400 but since the new 9600k is closer to the price range of the 8400 you might as well go with the 9600k anyway.

Also......no white case. This is personal preference but if you have a habit of eating and drinking near your PC, also never cleaning the PC then white case is your enemy. Again, just personal preference.

8 hours ago, MysteriousAeon said:

I didn't notice you attached it, this is also awesome, you two really went above what I could've asked for, thank you too!

8 hours ago, PurplDrank said:

MysteriousAeons build is really good, it is an intel build. I would normally tell people to go with the i5 8400 but since the new 9600k is closer to the price range of the 8400 you might as well go with the 9600k anyway.

okay, going to close this thread so i can focus on the two replies i have, thank you again guys

Just now, AustinHedges said:

So you'll probably want to pick out a new 1080p or even 1440p monitor. I personally don't care about the difference since I'm an FPS>good graphics person, but do you want to do? 

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

3 minutes ago, AustinHedges said:

I didn't notice you attached it, this is also awesome, you two really went above what I could've asked for, thank you too!

Look around, you can find cheaper z390 boards than what Mysterious put on there. However, when looking for a board make sure it supports either crossfire or SLI. Not that you will use two graphics cards at once, but if a mobo has crossfire or SLI it shows that its just better made.

Also to add to mysteriousaeons build......no white case. This is personal preference but if you have a habit of eating and drinking near your PC, also never cleaning the PC then white case is your enemy. Again, just personal preference.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($77.63 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: HP - EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB Video Card  ($549.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H18 Tempered Glass MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.88 @ Canada Computers) 
Monitor: ViewSonic - XG2401 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($249.99 @ Newegg Canada) the higher refresh rate is a big improvement over 60hz. You can skip this if your monitor is already 144hz.
Total: $1480.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-23 12:33 EST-0500

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

5 minutes ago, PurplDrank said:

Also......no white case. This is personal preference but if you have a habit of eating and drinking near your PC, also never cleaning the PC then white case is your enemy. Again, just personal preference.

3 minutes ago, AustinHedges said:

okay, going to close this thread so i can focus on the two replies i have, thank you again guys

There's also a black version of the NZXT H500 (which is imo a very nice case) so if you plan on getting that, keep in mind you have color options.

8 hours ago, MysteriousAeon said:

OP stated that his budget is in canadian dollars, those builds won't be that helpful when it's set in different countries. Same goes for @PurplDrank

8 hours ago, AustinHedges said:

You can't exactly close the thread, and don't just listen to the first 1-2 people who answers your questions, others may have better answers.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Herman's list is great, you can probably get a better motherboard if you want some more overclocking and bells and whistles

aorus pro z390

evga 3070 ultra

The forums here are overwhelming with the amount of support! Thank everyone of you for your time replying to me, and in such short time from my initial post. Also thank you to any future posters! You dropping knowledge has allowed me to drop cash, bless you all. Merry Christmas :)

1 minute ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

OP stated that his budget is in canadian dollars, those builds won't be that helpful when it's set in different countries. Same goes for @PurplDrank

1 CAD is equal to 0.74 USD according to Google. OP said he has 1,500 CAD which makes around 1,102 USD. The builds we have provided have prices close to that number.

6 minutes ago, Herman Mcpootis said:

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 2600 3.4 GHz 6-Core Processor  ($229.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Motherboard: ASRock - B450M PRO4 Micro ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($77.63 @ Vuugo) 
Memory: Team - T-Force Delta RGB 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($139.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: HP - EX900 250 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Storage: Seagate - BarraCuda 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($47.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB Video Card  ($549.99 @ Newegg Canada) 
Case: Thermaltake - Versa H18 Tempered Glass MicroATX Mini Tower Case  ($54.99 @ Amazon Canada) 
Power Supply: Corsair - CX (2017) 550 W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($59.88 @ Canada Computers) 
Monitor: ViewSonic - XG2401 23.6" 1920x1080 144 Hz Monitor  ($249.99 @ Newegg Canada) the higher refresh rate is a big improvement over 60hz. You can skip this if your monitor is already 144hz.
Total: $1480.44
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-23 12:33 EST-0500

About this build and the vega graphics card:

Vega 64 is in general faster than 1070 in DX11 and DX12/Vulkan. It tends to do better in newer APIs like DX12 and Vulkan and has full support for all Vulkan and DX12 features, something GTX 1070 does not have.

It consumes more power though. Also in many (not all!) old games and APIs it is slower. This is somewhat of a moot point since it is still plenty fast, but in some odd exceptions and modifications there can be a divide between GTX 1070 and RX Vega 64 in the GTX favor. But likely very niche cases and more like a 130 fps vs 200 fps thing i'd wager.

Vega 64 supports Freesync and has a better UI than the GTX series. On the other hand, GTX has support for more AA options and the ability to inject SSAO in some older titles.

Overall the RX Vega 64 is a better choice for most gamers, but it requires more power. The GTX 1080 is unfortunately almost as fast as Vega 64 but uses a lot less power :( . Still 1070 is easily crushed by Vega 56 and 64. However, I think the 1070 is still better value and depending on the country and currency the 1070 is $200 less than the vega

I will continue to read your replies, I'm not rushing into this, I love reading all build options presented!

11 minutes ago, AustinHedges said:

I will continue to read your replies, I'm not rushing into this, I love reading all build options presented!

Feel free to post your own build and everyone here will tell you what they think

7 hours ago, PurplDrank said:

Feel free to post your own build and everyone here will tell you what they think

Okay! I'm making a cart with a little of everything and will post after :)

Okay I got this,

Do I need any additional fans? is liquid cooling better for my CPU?

17 minutes ago, AustinHedges said:

Do I need any additional fans? is liquid cooling better for my CPU?

Liquid cooling would make CPU temps lower but I still have trust issues about it so I stick to air cooling. The H500 already comes with 2 fans, one of which is rear and the other one is top. I haven't tested the case myself so I'm not sure about this but the rear fan is probably exhaust and the top one is intake. If it were me, I would get one or two 120mm intake fans for the front and make the top fan exhaust.

5 minutes ago, MysteriousAeon said:

Liquid cooling would make CPU temps lower but I still have trust issues about it so I stick to air cooling. The H500 already comes with 2 fans, one of which is rear and the other one is top. I haven't tested the case myself so I'm not sure about this but the rear fan is probably exhaust and the top one is intake. If it were me, I would get one or two 120mm intake fans for the front and make the top fan exhaust.

Exhaust meaning leaving it without a fan?

1 minute ago, AustinHedges said:

Exhaust meaning leaving it without a fan?

Exhaust means the spinning fan pushes the air out while intake means it blows air inside the case. Good air flow is very important.