Arctic Silver 3?

Jstagzsr

so i bought a 3.5g syringe of Arctic silver 3 off ebay for 5$ because i ran out and i always like having thermal paste on hand jsut incase.. So i havent replaced my thermal compound on my cpu since i got it so i figured it was time to gice the cpu and base plate of the liquid cooler a good scrub and switch it out with this new stuff.. before the switch my idle temps (just watching youtube and stuff) were around 82 degrees f.. now after the switch during initial startup it was at 130f and is now hovering around 84f.. i7 4790k @ 4.8ghz..

i was under the impression arctic silver was some good paste.. how is idle 3-4 degrees hotter than my year old paste? does anyone else happen to have this cpu and use this paste? This pc originally before the upgrades was a Falcon Northwest build and i assume such a great company uses top notch thermal compounds.. did i just get rid of good thermal paste for worse thermal paste? lol. all the reviews i read on this compound said it was great.. im not convinced so far.

also, so when i sprayed my motherboard off with water, what is the recomended time to let it dry? cuz i gave it like 5 minutes in front of the fan andput it back in.. seems to be working fine. just smells funny..

(completely kidding)

"gice" was a typo.. i have no idea what word i couldve possibly misspelled as "gice" but i meant when i washed off the base plate and cpu..

Just now, James Evens said:

Arctic silver 3?

First of all this tube is probably 10 years old thermal paste. Also those paste might need time to reach full capabilities.

my idle temps are actually dropping still. iots only been probably 20 minutes since i did it and the temps are already down to 81-82f idle.. so i assume itll get better with time. as it settles in..

and yes, arctic silver 3.

and what makes you think its 10 years old?

4 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

and yes, arctic silver 3.

and what makes you think its 10 years old?

Even Arctic silver 5 is considered old and outdated... 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Even Arctic silver 5 is considered old and outdated... 

ahhh.. ok.. i thought the brand was "arctic silver 3".. not "arctic silver" 3..

does thermal paste go bad? ive always used it all within the first few months of owning every tube ive ever had..

Just now, Jstagzsr said:

ahhh.. ok.. i thought the brand was "arctic silver 3".. not "arctic silver" 3..

does thermal paste go bad? ive always used it all within the first few months of owning every tube ive ever had..

Yes, thermal paste goes bad. Seeing as your AS3 tube is old as a rock it's probably pretty gone. I'd get a tube of MX2 because it's cheap or NT-H1 because it's good

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

Yes, thermal paste goes bad. Seeing as your AS3 tube is old as a rock it's probably pretty gone. I'd get a tube of MX2 because it's cheap or NT-H1 because it's good

it seems to be working thus far.. my temps are better than they were with the other stuff.. But this is my main rig so ill definitely invest in something better. ill sasve this tube for low powered rigs i build for people.. thanks for the info.

29 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

it seems to be working thus far.. my temps are better than they were with the other stuff.. But this is my main rig so ill definitely invest in something better. ill sasve this tube for low powered rigs i build for people.. thanks for the info.

It's not like thermal paste just stops working, but it gets much worse as it ages. 

26 minutes ago, James Evens said:

why not MX-4?

Price mainly, imo either you get a cheap paste or you get something actually good for a bit of money

Builds:

Spoiler

15 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

It's not like thermal paste just stops working, but it gets much worse as it ages. 

Price mainly, imo either you get a cheap paste or you get something actually good for a bit of money

Eh, in that case I would suggest Kryonaut. 

Is Noctua thermal paste even any better than MX-4?

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

11 minutes ago, Quadriplegic said:

Yes, NT-H1 is one of the best pastes. Its also very nice to work with in my opinion, kryonaut seems like a mess to me

Builds:

Spoiler

ive used mx2, mx4, as3, as5, ceramique, thermal pad, ghraphite pad, LM , Kryonaut,  and probably more variety's that i cant remember, and i even usually give the mystery 1 use squeeze bags you get with some coolers to install it. and even though i've never seen it on the market here, the Zalman tubes i've got with coolers are decent paste. 

oh and the cermaique thermal epoxy, and i even messed with mixing excess paste into a epoxy resin before the catalyst and got ok results. (mind you this was with a lot older hardware era)

ive never used liquid metal before but in my research ive seen that that is the best performing paste/compound there is.. anyone agree/disagree? and does anyone recommend a specific brand/"model" ?

6 hours ago, Quadriplegic said:

most  quality pasted perform in the 4-7 w/mk

35 minutes ago, Jstagzsr said:

ive never used liquid metal before but in my research ive seen that that is the best performing paste/compound there is.. anyone agree/disagree? and does anyone recommend a specific brand/"model" ?

yes it displaces the most heat, but it is also inherently riskier if you over apply. there are some things to consider beside the OBV no aluminum,   But that it does 'stain' a copper plate(block face) and if the chip runs hot enough it could make the copper 'absorb' it until the surfaces become  saturated.   i can only really think of two, conductonaut and Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra,

there might be other brands available in some places. but those two, Coollaboratory and Thermal Grizzly are the main suppliers that are mentioned