Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Case Fans Help!

freakyyyy
 Share

What's the difference between connecting case fans directly to the mobo or directly to the power supply?,  ("not CPU fans").

Because I have a Corsair Carbide Air 540 with 3 intake fans from Noctua (female 4pins) and 3 exhaust fans came with the case from Corsair 2 fans on top and one in the back. (female 3pins).

And what's the best way to connect it? any recommendation?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, saksham said:

try to connect it to mobo so you can control the speed. 

yeah, but there's not enough Fans connectors on the mobo, I have the Asrock x399 sTR4.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, freakyyyy said:

yeah, but there's not enough Fans connectors on the mobo, I have the Asrock x399 sTR4.

fan header splitters? make sure that the mobo will be able to output enough voltage for your fans if you use splitters. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, freakyyyy said:

yeah, but there's not enough Fans connectors on the mobo, I have the Asrock x399 sTR4.

more than likey you can easily put 1 splitter on each head where needed

 

The ONLY differnce between connecting to the MOBO headers and any alternate powering,  is (and there are work arounds)  are where the fan wires get power from.

 

(fans only require 2  wires to run black+red, Yellow is generally Speed reporting (rpm)  and blue is obv PWM  or more technically wave modulation (its the same as a rheostat). Main difference being that when you have a 4 pin fan connected to your mother board (or a workaround that i will get to)   you can in your bios or with other software set a custom curve of fan ramping to your own specification, which is nice if thats your thing.

when using a 4 pin splitter only one connector will be 4-4 the rest will be 4-3 (without rpm)   because of reasons i cant really explain but it causes fault reporting if you have multiple fans reporting rpm, even if both fans are the same.   In that respect in a 3 pin splitter, one is 3-3 and the rest are just supplied with +/- 

 

there are things that have a molex or sata power plug and a cord that you plug into one 4 pin header that way you can set a single curve for a single fan, and any fan connected to that header will run at that curve. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/23/2018 at 6:07 AM, saksham said:

fan header splitters? make sure that the mobo will be able to output enough voltage for your fans if you use splitters. 

So SilverStone PWM Fan splitters is the way to go?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/23/2018 at 10:16 AM, Neo-revo said:

more than likey you can easily put 1 splitter on each head where needed

 

The ONLY differnce between connecting to the MOBO headers and any alternate powering,  is (and there are work arounds)  are where the fan wires get power from.

 

(fans only require 2  wires to run black+red, Yellow is generally Speed reporting (rpm)  and blue is obv PWM  or more technically wave modulation (its the same as a rheostat). Main difference being that when you have a 4 pin fan connected to your mother board (or a workaround that i will get to)   you can in your bios or with other software set a custom curve of fan ramping to your own specification, which is nice if thats your thing.

when using a 4 pin splitter only one connector will be 4-4 the rest will be 4-3 (without rpm)   because of reasons i cant really explain but it causes fault reporting if you have multiple fans reporting rpm, even if both fans are the same.   In that respect in a 3 pin splitter, one is 3-3 and the rest are just supplied with +/- 

 

there are things that have a molex or sata power plug and a cord that you plug into one 4 pin header that way you can set a single curve for a single fan, and any fan connected to that header will run at that curve. 

 

So SilverStone PWM Fan splitters is the way to go?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, freakyyyy said:

So SilverStone PWM Fan splitters is the way to go?

i dont have a desktop so i dont really know much about these things. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, freakyyyy said:

So SilverStone PWM Fan splitters is the way to go?

For putting 2 fans on a single MOBO spot that's good. But for more than 3 fans you should use something that gets alternate power from a different connector.  

 

Link the one you want to use 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Neo-revo said:

For putting 2 fans on a single MOBO spot that's good. But for more than 3 fans you should use something that gets alternate power from a different connector.  

 

Link the one you want to use 

I'm going to use 5 or 6 fans connected directly to the PSU using this : https://www.amazon.com/SilverStone-System-Cables-Black-CPF04/dp/B00VNW556I/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1545707314&sr=8-4&keywords=Fan splitter

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, freakyyyy said:

yeas thats exactly what i was describing, just never looked for a silverstone version.

 

when you use that thing,   you only have to set one curve in the bios, and any fan connected will run at that curve.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Neo-revo said:

yeas thats exactly what i was describing, just never looked for a silverstone version.

 

when you use that thing,   you only have to set one curve in the bios, and any fan connected will run at that curve.

Well Thanks, one more thing can install 3 pin fans on it too right? by ignoring the dummy pins.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, freakyyyy said:

Well Thanks, one more thing can install 3 pin fans on it too right? by ignoring the dummy pins.

3pin fans don't support pwm and won't be able to modulate the incoming 12v signal. If you try to use pwm with 3pin fans, they'll run at 100% rpm. 

Using normal splitters off of motherboard headers and separating 3 / 4pin fans would be better for control. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, freakyyyy said:

Well Thanks, one more thing can install 3 pin fans on it too right? by ignoring the dummy pins.

@freakyyyydo What woodenmarker says,     Yes you can, but Bios control wont work with 3 pin fans.

Use a Y split to run 2 fans off a single mobo plug (if using 3 pin)

 

that box you linked will work, but you wont get any control;100% always as wooden says.Unless its a manual control device like my 5.25 bay 6 channel fan controller.

 

you cannot set a custom fan curve for a 3 pin fan.  the 4th pin is what regulates the input voltage (for the curve)

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

3pin fans don't support pwm and won't be able to modulate the incoming 12v signal. If you try to use pwm with 3pin fans, they'll run at 100% rpm. 

Using normal splitters off of motherboard headers and separating 3 / 4pin fans would be better for control. 

 

If you dont care, using one of the boxes to power the extra fans,  although they are designed for 4 pin fans wave modulation there is no reason why you cannot use it as a simple fan hub.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Neo-revo said:

you cannot set a custom fan curve for a 3 pin fan.  the 4th pin is what regulates the input voltage (for the curve)

3pin fans can be controlled from the bios with voltage / dc. 

The 4th pin sends a pwm signal for the fan and the fan's pwm ic modulates the incoming 12v signal  from the 2nd pin accordingly. 3pin fans don't have the built-in ic nor the 4th pin for an incoming pwm signal. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, WoodenMarker said:

3pin fans can be controlled from the bios with voltage / dc. 

The 4th pin sends a pwm signal for the fan and the fan's pwm ic modulates the incoming 12v signal  from the 2nd pin accordingly. 3pin fans don't have the built-in ic nor the 4th pin for an incoming pwm signal. 

thanks for the clarification.  been using the fan controller in my 5.25 for too long i guess, 

 

happy holidays

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

3pin fans can be controlled from the bios with voltage / dc. 

The 4th pin sends a pwm signal for the fan and the fan's pwm ic modulates the incoming 12v signal  from the 2nd pin accordingly. 3pin fans don't have the built-in ic nor the 4th pin for an incoming pwm signal. 

Well Thank you so much but let me tell you something first I'm simple guy I don't know about all of this stuff I just want it to work I don't care about speed or anything like that I'm fine with 1200 to 2000 RPM so by default what should I get?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Neo-revo said:

@freakyyyydo What woodenmarker says,     Yes you can, but Bios control wont work with 3 pin fans.

Use a Y split to run 2 fans off a single mobo plug (if using 3 pin)

 

that box you linked will work, but you wont get any control;100% always as wooden says.Unless its a manual control device like my 5.25 bay 6 channel fan controller.

 

you cannot set a custom fan curve for a 3 pin fan.  the 4th pin is what regulates the input voltage (for the curve)

 

If you dont care, using one of the boxes to power the extra fans,  although they are designed for 4 pin fans wave modulation there is no reason why you cannot use it as a simple fan hub.

7

Luckily I do have one 4pins Y-split comes with Noctua fans but I will use it for my corsair fans with 3pins so I think I still need to get the silverstone splitter for the 4-pin fans from Noctua.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I can post some pic of my new computer guys If you want more details.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, freakyyyy said:

Well Thank you so much but let me tell you something first I'm simple guy I don't know about all of this stuff I just want it to work I don't care about speed or anything like that I'm fine with 1200 to 2000 RPM so by default what should I get?

What motherboard do you have? 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

This Hub is only $3 and works perfectly

 

20181215_065315.jpg.8c873bcee8ff632579b2f8fafc456437.jpg

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/26/2018 at 11:16 PM, freakyyyy said:

Luckily I do have one 4pins Y-split comes with Noctua fans but I will use it for my corsair fans with 3pins so I think I still need to get the silverstone splitter for the 4-pin fans from Noctua.

 

On 12/26/2018 at 11:14 PM, freakyyyy said:

Well Thank you so much but let me tell you something first I'm simple guy I don't know about all of this stuff I just want it to work I don't care about speed or anything like that I'm fine with 1200 to 2000 RPM so by default what should I get?

 

On 12/26/2018 at 11:21 PM, freakyyyy said:

I can post some pic of my new computer guys If you want more details.

You can find out with the fan specs. Ie: a 12v 1800 rpm fan will run at 1800 at 12v; if the spin up voltage is 2.66v then it won't start spinning till 2.66 or greater voltage is applied.   PWM uses this concept to adjust voltage input according to a specified input reading.  Without the 4th pin your fan will just run at what ever percentage you set it to run at (75%)...

 

The one you linked and the picture the last guy shared are both good. I used a similar one they work well; and are great if you are just looking to wire manage all the fan cables out of sight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/27/2018 at 7:49 PM, _Hustler_One_ said:

This Hub is only $3 and works perfectly

 

20181215_065315.jpg.8c873bcee8ff632579b2f8fafc456437.jpg

Thank you so much!, But what do you think about the silverstone hub that I posted above?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

14 hours ago, Neo-revo said:

 

 

You can find out with the fan specs. Ie: a 12v 1800 rpm fan will run at 1800 at 12v; if the spin up voltage is 2.66v then it won't start spinning till 2.66 or greater voltage is applied.   PWM uses this concept to adjust voltage input according to a specified input reading.  Without the 4th pin your fan will just run at what ever percentage you set it to run at (75%)...

 

The one you linked and the picture the last guy shared are both good. I used a similar one they work well; and are great if you are just looking to wire manage all the fan cables out of sight.

4

well Thank you so much bro I really appreciate your time and effort.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

34 minutes ago, freakyyyy said:

Thank you so much!, But what do you think about the silverstone hub that I posted above?

If you have space to place it inside your case, then go for it.

 

For me because this simple hub I mentioned to you is only $3 in my local computer store and it's small enough for my ITX case then I can't see other hubs are more suitable for my system.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×