Bizarre CPU 100% use in game menu

OttoVonBismarck

Hey guys,

my CPU is an i7 4790k running at stock with a 240mm AIO cpu cooler

recently i've been playing Stellaris a lot. My CPU this morning when i loaded up stellaris has me running 100% CPU use just in the main menu of the game where nothing is going on. It's just as bad in game resulting in the game being unplayable.

i quickly then ran some other games that i know for sure aren't limited by my CPU. Rimworld is a good example. Running that saw 45-50% CPU use in the menu, and then 94%+ once the actual game started.

my CPU has never done this before, i ran malware bytes to see if it was a virus but malware bytes found nothing. What should i do from here?

rimworld.png

It really depends on the game I had a 4690k that would run at 100% in a few games. the 4790k is the same exact chip just with 4 more threads. Some games are proving to be too much for the haswell architecture 

15 minutes ago, Cigano said:

It really depends on the game I had a 4690k that would run at 100% in a few games. the 4790k is the same exact chip just with 4 more threads. Some games are proving to be too much for the haswell architecture 

its weird because these games ran perfectly fine 2 days ago - now suddenly i'm hitting 100% CPU use in them and can't determine why.

Although i am overdue for an upgrade. i'm just holding out for the Ryzen 3700x

Uhh.. try check your CPU clock speed and try use 3rd party task manager like Process Explorer/Process Hacker to see if nothing shady is hooking up to the game executable. 

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

• 2 years later...

Hello! I understand this post is very old now but did you ever figure out what happened? I have struck the same issue and I'm stuck trying to figure out solutions to the problem.