Hdmi no sound

dwang040

Am I just being stupid and forgetting something? I have my desktop and I plugged it into a tv using a hdmi cable. I went to setting and made it so that the hdmi would be the default playback device, and not realtek. When I go to play any sort of audio file or video, no sound actually goes through the tv. Volume is on for both pc and tv, tv speakers are not broken, the tv is recognized by the pc and the name of it displays in the sounds setting... I also tried it with my laptop, but no sound came through either. Is it some setting on the tv?

Am I forgetting something? 

Some programs (most of them in fact) have settings for sound. It may be "default device" - and then it uses default, but it can be set to "Realtek" (by you for example some time eariler) and then default system settings changes nothing.

But browsers should work with default mostly.

Check another hdmi cable maybe (low probability).

6 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Some programs (most of them in fact) have settings for sound. It may be "default device" - and then it uses default, but it can be set to "Realtek" (by you for example some time eariler) and then default system settings changes nothing.

But browsers should work with default mostly.

Check another hdmi cable maybe (low probability).

I'll give that a try (I'm not the best with all the hdmi versions, but all hdmi support audio throughput correct?). Maybe I'm dreaming and imagining things, but I do recall there being sound when I first plugged in my pc... It worked for a bit, but then the next time I turned it on, there was nothing. I've tried resetting the sound on the tv settings cause I did change those a bit, but still no luck. 

10 minutes ago, dwang040 said:

I'll give that a try (I'm not the best with all the hdmi versions, but all hdmi support audio throughput correct?). Maybe I'm dreaming and imagining things, but I do recall there being sound when I first plugged in my pc... It worked for a bit, but then the next time I turned it on, there was nothing. I've tried resetting the sound on the tv settings cause I did change those a bit, but still no luck. 

Start any player (PotPlayer, GOM Player) and set output to HDMI in program. And check that way.

This may be even mp3 player like Aimp.

16 minutes ago, homeap5 said:

Start any player (PotPlayer, GOM Player) and set output to HDMI in program. And check that way.

This may be even mp3 player like Aimp.

I went to vlc and set the default audio device to the nvidia hdmi one, still no sound. Unfortunate.

10 minutes ago, dwang040 said:

I went to vlc and set the default audio device to the nvidia hdmi one, still no sound. Unfortunate.

Install again video drivers maybe and sound drivers, but I think it's more like hdmi cable problem. Or hardware.