Old Build Apraisal + Upgrades

Hello,

I recently completed a new PC build and I'm planning on selling my old build to a friend as a base that will be upgraded ( see specs below). What would be a fair price to sell this at?

Additionally, I'm planning on helping him with the upgrade, and I'm thinking of three possible upgrades.

1. Purchase a 120-240GB SSD to work as the boot drive

2. Purchase a new graphics card. I'm thinking AMD RX 560/570/580/590.

3. Purchase a low/mid range air aftermarker CPU cooler to moderately overclock the CPU for improved performance. (Currently using the stock intel cooler)

Are these proposed upgrades reasonable? I would like to see improved performance in gaming and it seems like the i5-3570k is still a decent CPU, especially when overclocked, but the GTX 660 is getting pretty old.

Any feedback is appreciated!

PC Build Specs:

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4zVXGG
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/4zVXGG/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel - Core i5-3570K 3.4 GHz Quad-Core Processor
Motherboard: ASRock - Z77 Extreme4 ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: Patriot - Viper 3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Patriot - Viper 3 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($49.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital - Caviar Blue 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($44.85 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 660 2 GB Video Card
Case: Rosewill - BlackHawk ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: SeaSonic - 520 W 80+ Bronze Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($34.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $179.82
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-20 10:22 EST-0500

i5-3570K - $65

Z77 Extreme 4 - $110-140

16GB Viper 3 - $80

WD Blue - $30-35

GTX 660 - $50

Case - $0-10

PSU - $15-25

A 240GB Inland Professional SSD costs $30 right now on Amazon. I'm running a shitload of those Inland Professional drives and have never had a problem, so I'd say get it and go for it. This is a very reasonable upgrade.

An RX 580 would make a ton of sense in this build, and there's a Red Devil for $154.99 on Newegg right now. Check r/buildapcsales for the link and code. Again, a very reasonable upgrade.

Definitely, definitely upgrade your cooling before overclocking. The Deepcool Gammaxx 400 is a very competent cooler and can be found on sale as low as $15-25 on a regular basis. There are other options out there ranging from $30-100 or so, and liquid is always an option with high-clocked processors.

Alternatively, you could sell off your current system in its entirety for about $350-400, possibly more depending on prices in your area. That would be enough to get you a Ryzen 5 1600/2600, a solid B450 motherboard and 16GB of DDR4-2400. If you've already got money set aside for the SSD and GPU already, the Ryzen stock cooler can handle an R5 overclock pretty easily, and a completely new system is within reach.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

23 minutes ago, SirAlek said:

I'm thinking AMD RX 560/570/580/590.

That's a huge performance range, and the price will vary a lot depending on which you get

The other upgrades proposed are great ideas.  16GB of DDR3 on a Z77 board with a K-SKU CPU and a 1TB drive should go for $300 ish, which is like $120 for ram, $120 for the CPU, etc

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 hour ago, fasauceome said:

That's a huge performance range, and the price will vary a lot depending on which you get

The other upgrades proposed are great ideas.  16GB of DDR3 on a Z77 board with a K-SKU CPU and a 1TB drive should go for $300 ish, which is like $120 for ram, $120 for the CPU, etc

I think I've narrowed it down to either an RX 570 or 580. They both seem to be a solid upgrade from the GTX 660 without bottlenecking the CPU.