Best Possible Upgrade

I have two laptops available with me which are a bit old. Now, I want to upgrade them to the best possible result. Following are the variants :-

1. Dell Inspiron 1545 (Socket 478) having Core 2 Dou T6500 2.20GHz & 3GB Ram

2. HP 15-af006AX (M9V38PA) having AMD Quad-Core A8-7410 APU with Radeon R5 Graphics (2.2 GHz, 2 MB cache) & 4GB Ram.

Please help me out here with your valuable inputs.

upgrade ram to 6-8GB

get a Cheap SSD (120GB) to speed up the OS

download linux instead and use a light linux distro for best possible result and usage

honestly, id just look at getting a new used laptop, but that is just me.

edit: and since pointed out later that you cant upgrade to more than 4GB of RAM, dont bother. 

1. Not economical to upgrade. It maxes out at 4GB of RAM and a slightly faster core 2 duo. If you insist, the Core 2 Duo T9900 is the best CPU it'll take, as long as the BIOS is up to date (A14). SSD for added speed.

2. CPU is soldered. Can't be upgraded. Add RAM (to 8GB) and SSD.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

Just now, GoldenLag said:

upgrade ram to 6-8GB

get a Cheap SSD (120GB) to speed up the OS

download linux instead and use a light linux distro for best possible result and usage

honestly, id just look at getting a new used laptop, but that is just me.

Thank you for the early reply. I can shift to desktop but the laptops are in use currently and I cant ditch them at this moment.

Just now, NelizMastr said:

1. Not economical to upgrade. It maxes out at 4GB of RAM and a slightly faster core 2 duo. If you insist, the Core 2 Duo T9900 is the best CPU it'll take, as long as the BIOS is up to date (A14). SSD for added speed.

2. CPU is soldered. Can't be upgraded. Add RAM (to 8GB) and SSD.

1. Will it surely support T9900 in it ? A lot of other reviewer are not recommending it. Please update me about it.

2. If it is soldered, then no other option. Will it support 8GB ram ?

25 minutes ago, PULAK DEHINGIA said:

1. Will it surely support T9900 in it ? A lot of other reviewer are not recommending it. Please update me about it.

2. If it is soldered, then no other option. Will it support 8GB ram ?

1. The T9900 is a very expensive chip, though. I'd go with the T9600 or 9400. They should work fine. Officially, Dell recommends up to the P8700 and P8800.

2. Yeah, it's not nearly as old as that Dell. It probably supports 16.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

16 minutes ago, NelizMastr said:

1. The T9900 is a very expensive chip, though. I'd go with the T9600 or 9400. They should work fine. Officially, Dell recommends up to the P8700 and P8800.

2. Yeah, it's not nearly as old as that Dell. It probably supports 16.

1. Will there be any problem if I go with the T9600 ? Is there any 3MB Cache max support boundary ? I read it in an article that the board does not support more than 3MB of Cache.

2. Where can I confirm upto what extent I can expand the ram ? Please attach a link if u can.

49 minutes ago, PULAK DEHINGIA said:

1. Will there be any problem if I go with the T9600 ? Is there any 3MB Cache max support boundary ? I read it in an article that the board does not support more than 3MB of Cache.

2. Where can I confirm upto what extent I can expand the ram ? Please attach a link if u can.

1. Can't say for sure. I read people successfully upgraded to the T9xxx chips, so I assume it works. If you don't want to risk it, the P8700 and P8800 are the alternatives. They're also lower wattage.

2. Usually HP has Quickspecs on laptops, desktops and servers. Your model however appears regional and has no such document. It uses DDR3L memory, and it has at least 1 slot, so 8GB would always work fine.