Touchscreen support on older games

Go to solution Solved by GoodBytes,
1 hour ago, Doc.Tor said:

Heya people,

I am thinking of buying a Surface pro 4 (second hand) of a friend at work, and was wondering if there is any way to add touchscreen and/or gesture support on older/retro games like Neverwinter Nights 2, Age of Empires 1/2 and Diablo 1/2 ?

I tried asking Google-Sensei, but I got confused.

Cheers 

Your friendly nord

Doc. Tor

Yes and No.

If a program/game does not support touch, Windows will translate your touch control as the left mouse click (and press and hold as right-click).

So technically, yes, games will work with the touch screen.

But the issue comes to, how do you select a group of unit without dragging the map, or the reverse (depending on the listed game on how they work), if you can't drag the map, how do you move your view on the map to go to an area. And you'll have similar problems.

That said, some games that are more board based games will work (example: Ticket To Ride), and so those with touch support (Civilization 5 and 6 for example has native touch screen support).

They are also programs, that can give you touch control like phone games, on the screen, but this app needs to support the game, and well, the experience is far from great... remember that the Surface Pro is on the heavy side, so it will be difficult to hold for more than a couple of minutes. Although you could use the kick-stand as a holder where you slide your finger under it. Not designed for that, but works... not great though.

Heya people,

I am thinking of buying a Surface pro 4 (second hand) of a friend at work, and was wondering if there is any way to add touchscreen and/or gesture support on older/retro games like Neverwinter Nights 2, Age of Empires 1/2 and Diablo 1/2 ?

Cheers 

Your friendly nord

Doc. Tor

Edited by Doc.Tor
Wrong name

1 hour ago, Doc.Tor said:

Heya people,

Cheers 

Your friendly nord

Doc. Tor

Yes and No.

If a program/game does not support touch, Windows will translate your touch control as the left mouse click (and press and hold as right-click).

So technically, yes, games will work with the touch screen.

But the issue comes to, how do you select a group of unit without dragging the map, or the reverse (depending on the listed game on how they work), if you can't drag the map, how do you move your view on the map to go to an area. And you'll have similar problems.

That said, some games that are more board based games will work (example: Ticket To Ride), and so those with touch support (Civilization 5 and 6 for example has native touch screen support).

They are also programs, that can give you touch control like phone games, on the screen, but this app needs to support the game, and well, the experience is far from great... remember that the Surface Pro is on the heavy side, so it will be difficult to hold for more than a couple of minutes. Although you could use the kick-stand as a holder where you slide your finger under it. Not designed for that, but works... not great though.

I used to play Metin 2 on my Windows 10 tablet, but still i needed a mouse for right clicks, screen taps are translated into left clicks