fps stability

atg117
Go to solution Solved by Paul Rudd,
3 hours ago, atg117 said:

I play overwatch regularly the fps is anywhere between 140-80 some times

Sounds completely normal.

Hi guys needed some help hope someone can, so I have made a new pc about a mouth ago and have never owned one before, on console mainly. I have been playing a couple of games so far and was wondering if when you are playing, is you fps ment to fluctuate constantly or is it ment to be stable.(as for instance) I am in call of duty black ops 4 when i am in a calm place in the map my fps can be up to 80fps then something happens like people getting killed, scorestreks are called in it can go down to about mid 30's to 50's, and this is inconsistent meaning that it can happen but sometimes when in am in higher action area were you would expect it to go down to that level 30-50fps or even lower it would be about 60fps. It is so inconsistent it hard to explain, basically it goes up and down with no pattern that I can see is there any reason for this happening and can do anything to help would be great

SYSTEM SPECS

Amd rx 580 8gb (temps are 65 Max)

Ryzen 5 1600 cpu water cooled( temps are OK 35 at Max)

16Gb ddr4  ram 3000mhz

4 minutes ago, atg117 said:

is there any reason for this happening

Sounds like a graphics settings issue. What are all your individual graphic settings at? I would think lowering a certain one may stabilize your fps better.

2 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

Sounds like a graphics settings issue. What are all your individual graphic settings at? I would think lowering a certain one may stabilize your fps better.

I have in all my games it don't help still does it

Even at the lowest I can go

8 minutes ago, atg117 said:

I have in all my games it don't help still does it

Even at the lowest I can go

Have you tried updating your driver? I have read all over the internet that BO4 is also a terribly optimized game. So what you are experiencing may be due to the game itself as it is a very common issues with multiple gamers.

Try other games and if it's doing the same thing in other games then it may not be the game itself. 

12 minutes ago, A Random Dude said:

Have you tried updating your driver? I have read all over the internet that BO4 is also a terribly optimized game. So what you are experiencing may be due to the game itself as it is a very common issues with multiple gamers.

Try other games and if it's doing the same thing in other games then it may not be the game itself. 

The fluctuations are in all games and i have checked today for new driver there are none ahh  well that might explain it if it is badly optimised

41 minutes ago, atg117 said:

The fluctuations are in all games and i have checked today for new driver there are none ahh  well that might explain it if it is badly optimised

Other games shouldn't be unstable though. Depends on what games you are playing and what fps you are getting. 

6 hours ago, atg117 said:

Fluctuations to fps are normal, but drops aren't. Fluctuation is +-20fps around your average. >-20fps under your average is drop and dropping from 80fps average to 30-50fps is significant and possibly issue. Usually you set graphic settings in way where you don't see drops, not even when there's ton of things going on, smokes, explosions etc.

Can you do some testing, like get fps recording going on. You can use Fraps, MSI Afterburner etc. Go to game or empty server etc. where you can simulate things that lower your fps. Try with few different resolutions and/or graphic presets. Then post min/max/avg fps for the testing part.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

9 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

Other games shouldn't be unstable though. Depends on what games you are playing and what fps you are getting. 

I play overwatch regularly the fps is anywhere between 140-80 some times just got it so don't have many games to give you stats

3 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

Fluctuations to fps are normal, but drops aren't. Fluctuation is +-20fps around your average. >-20fps under your average is drop and dropping from 80fps average to 30-50fps is significant and possibly issue. Usually you set graphic settings in way where you don't see drops, not even when there's ton of things going on, smokes, explosions etc.

Can you do some testing, like get fps recording going on. You can use Fraps, MSI Afterburner etc. Go to game or empty server etc. where you can simulate things that lower your fps. Try with few different resolutions and/or graphic presets. Then post min/max/avg fps for the testing part.

Yeah I will when get in from work i have tried on private match and its about 100- 70 I will make a video and put it up hear asap thanks for help tho

3 hours ago, atg117 said:

I play overwatch regularly the fps is anywhere between 140-80 some times

3 hours ago, A Random Dude said:

aw ok being paranoid then thanks for the help anyway

18 hours ago, atg117 said:

Hi guys needed some help hope someone can, so I have made a new pc about a mouth ago and have never owned one before, on console mainly. I have been playing a couple of games so far and was wondering if when you are playing, is you fps ment to fluctuate constantly or is it ment to be stable.(as for instance) I am in call of duty black ops 4 when i am in a calm place in the map my fps can be up to 80fps then something happens like people getting killed, scorestreks are called in it can go down to about mid 30's to 50's, and this is inconsistent meaning that it can happen but sometimes when in am in higher action area were you would expect it to go down to that level 30-50fps or even lower it would be about 60fps. It is so inconsistent it hard to explain, basically it goes up and down with no pattern that I can see is there any reason for this happening and can do anything to help would be great

SYSTEM SPECS

Amd rx 580 8gb (temps are 65 Max)

Ryzen 5 1600 cpu water cooled( temps are OK 35 at Max)

16Gb ddr4  ram 3000mhz

I’m guessing it’s gonna be highly based on thermals so yea it’s normal.