Monitor out of range: 60khz, 68khz

Cantafford

Hello,

I'm trying to connect a second monitor to my PC and I get the error from the title on it when I do this.

My main display is a 2k monitor and the second display I'm trying to connect is a 1920x1080 monitor. 

I have googled around and found out that one of the reasons for this error could be the fact that my GPU(I have a GTX1080) is too powerfull for the display so the display can't keep up with what's comming from the GPU. However before I had this 2k monitor I used that second display and another 1920x1080 monitor and they worked just fine. Also one strange thing: I have two OSes on my SDD, Windows 10 and Linux 16.08. When I boot on Linux the pc detects both monitors and I can extend or duplicate them no problem at all. However when I boot on Windows I get the mentioned error on my 2nd display. Why is that?

I assume the solution to my problem would be to go into settings and lower the refresh rate so the second monitor can keep up with the GPU. And I suppose that will mean I will get lower fps on my main display as well. Is there any way to make this system work and not have to change some settings which will cause me to lose performance on the main display(2k one)? Thank you for reading.

Edit: Not sure how relevant this is but: main display is on HDMI, second display(the one with the error) is on DVI.

5 minutes ago, Cantafford said:

Hello,

I'm trying to connect a second monitor to my PC and I get the error from the title on it when I do this.

My main display is a 2k monitor and the second display I'm trying to connect is a 1920x1080 monitor. 

I have googled around and found out that one of the reasons for this error could be the fact that my GPU(I have a GTX1080) is too powerfull for the display so the display can't keep up with what's comming from the GPU. However before I had this 2k monitor I used that second display and another 1920x1080 monitor and they worked just fine. Also one strange thing: I have two OSes on my SDD, Windows 10 and Linux 16.08. When I boot on Linux the pc detects both monitors and I can extend or duplicate them no problem at all. However when I boot on Windows I get the mentioned error on my 2nd display. Why is that?

I assume the solution to my problem would be to go into settings and lower the refresh rate so the second monitor can keep up with the GPU. And I suppose that will mean I will get lower fps on my main display as well. Is there any way to make this system work and not have to change some settings which will cause me to lose performance on the main display(2k one)? Thank you for reading.

Edit: Not sure how relevant this is but: main display is on HDMI, second display(the one with the error) is on DVI.

In the nvida control panel, you can select the refresh rates of the monitors individually. I have a 3440x1440 monitor running at 95Hz and a 1920x1080 monitor running at 60Hz

Changing the refresh rate of monitors doesn't change your FPS. Also, I don't think these two monitors are too much for a gtx 1080. I could run a two displays of 1080p and 1024p res on my gtx 960 and with that in proportion to your setup, you should be able to do two monitors of 1440p and 1080p with your 1080.

Have you tried running the second display with HDMI instead of DVI? Could be the ports on either the monitor or card.

Have you done the connect an external display thingy that windows provides?

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

41 minutes ago, Fyfey96 said:

In the nvida control panel, you can select the refresh rates of the monitors individually. I have a 3440x1440 monitor running at 95Hz and a 1920x1080 monitor running at 60Hz

Ok I will try that thanks.

41 minutes ago, mxk. said:

Changing the refresh rate of monitors doesn't change your FPS. Also, I don't think these two monitors are too much for a gtx 1080. I could run a two displays of 1080p and 1024p res on my gtx 960 and with that in proportion to your setup, you should be able to do two monitors of 1440p and 1080p with your 1080.

Have you tried running the second display with HDMI instead of DVI? Could be the ports on either the monitor or card.

Have you done the connect an external display thingy that windows provides?

My main display is 144Hz and second one is 60Hz. Since HDMI does not support over 60hz and since my gpu only has 1 display port I guess I'll need that for my primary display and I need to connect my second display on HDMI.

1 hour ago, Cantafford said:

Hello,

Enable GPU scaling.

2 minutes ago, Glenwing said:

Enable GPU scaling.

Thanks. I'll google about that since I have no ideea what it is ;D

9 hours ago, Cantafford said:

My main display is 144Hz and second one is 60Hz. Since HDMI does not support over 60hz and since my gpu only has 1 display port I guess I'll need that for my primary display and I need to connect my second display on HDMI.

well there is a different hdmi that supports more than 60hz but if I'm right, cables cost more for the best hdmi.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu