Audio Issue

Hi All,

I've started getting a really annoying audio issue lately, here's whats happening. 

Whenever a sound cuts out and at some intermittent points (example, pausing a video) I hear a horrible popping/static noise for around half a second. 

My motherboard is: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING

I got annoyed messing about with drivers and have reinstalled Windows 10, same issue even on the install screen... I think it might be the motherboard...

I've tried different ports and headphones, exact same issue.. also tried changing around the analog port assignment etc

Any ideas welcome! 

Hi Pearsonia,

When the sound cuts out do you also have issues with you microphone cutting out and not working on things like discord? I recently bought the Strix z370-f and I have random static noises when im watching something and then my mic wont work on discord

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/16/2018 at 8:27 PM, DxRalph said:

Hi Pearsonia,

When the sound cuts out do you also have issues with you microphone cutting out and not working on things like discord? I recently bought the Strix z370-f and I have random static noises when im watching something and then my mic wont work on discord

Yeah similar issue. I purchased a sound card and the problem is still there so not sure what's causing it! 

• 4 weeks later...

No one seems to be able to help with this and it's driving me insane... 

On 12/16/2018 at 11:39 AM, Pearsonia said:

Hi All,

I've started getting a really annoying audio issue lately, here's whats happening. 

Whenever a sound cuts out and at some intermittent points (example, pausing a video) I hear a horrible popping/static noise for around half a second. 

My motherboard is: ASUS ROG STRIX Z370-F GAMING

I got annoyed messing about with drivers and have reinstalled Windows 10, same issue even on the install screen... I think it might be the motherboard...

I've tried different ports and headphones, exact same issue.. also tried changing around the analog port assignment etc

Any ideas welcome! 

I would just remove the drivers with DDU and install the latest Realtek and see what happens.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

What is DDU turtle? I have tried to uninstall the drivers many times and every time i do it seems to reinstall them through a restard. Another issue is that the realtek drivers that come with the ASUS package have 3 setup.exe and im not even sure which one i should be using! Thanks for the help...

DDU is a Display Driver Uninstaller, not sure it would work in this case. But try disabling Windows Update Service, then uninstall the drivers, then reinstall the correct ones, then renable Update Service (of course with restarts inbetween steps). Also, post a pic of the three different options, maybe we can help select the right one. 

Hi Tempest,

This is the list of things I get in the folder. https://gyazo.com/51cc816b937f30f97bf91394f2a79b9f

Its really weird how sometimes i can go through most of the day and it wont happen and then another day it will happen a lot. One thing i cant help but keep noticing is that it happens for sure whenever i get a little hitching noise in my system, a sort of noise you would hear if something hangs. A static noise for a second and then its gone

22 minutes ago, DxRalph said:

Hi Tempest,

This is the list of things I get in the folder. https://gyazo.com/51cc816b937f30f97bf91394f2a79b9f

Its really weird how sometimes i can go through most of the day and it wont happen and then another day it will happen a lot. One thing i cant help but keep noticing is that it happens for sure whenever i get a little hitching noise in my system, a sort of noise you would hear if something hangs. A static noise for a second and then its gone

Try using the AsusSetup.exe and the steps I posted previously to install.

Ive done all this now. Its still happening.. Its crazy, ive had my headset replaced, my motherboard replaced, my ram replaced and its still happening. I have astro a50s and im starting to think it could be the base station thats causing the issue because it doesnt seem to happen with other headsets.. any other ideas? Thanks

4 hours ago, DxRalph said:

Ive done all this now. Its still happening.. Its crazy, ive had my headset replaced, my motherboard replaced, my ram replaced and its still happening. I have astro a50s and im starting to think it could be the base station thats causing the issue because it doesnt seem to happen with other headsets.. any other ideas? Thanks

Bypass the base station and see if the issues still occur. If they stop, then check your cabling from the base station. Either the cables are bad, or the base is bad.

I can unfortunately not use my headset without the base station. Ive tried different cables and the same still happens. I have also tried to not run through my realtek device with the optical cable and just run through the usb to the base station. Same issue. this makes me believe it cant be the realtek drivers etc because it still happens when they are not in use.

Have you tried using a different pre-amp? Using a cheap USB pre-amp such as the Behringer UM2-UPhoria is completely USB connected and will not go through motherboard audio, this is about the best thing I can suggest at the moment considering all methods are from your motherboard or internals of your system. Another thing to mention is that it may be a grounding issue, maybe the power brick for you Base station is faulty but this shouldn't be a system-wide issue, and as all audio passes through your base station I'd put it down to that, or the headphones that you are using I'm afraid. 

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Thanks for the reply Brennan. I could try a different extension lead in general and see if that changes anything. Do you mean that? the base station from astro just plugs into the pc through usb and line in. Ive changed my usb saettings etc so i know it cant be that. Astro are honestly useless when it comes to customer service. The guy im speaking to has repeatedly told me that he doesnt see an issue even though I have had my mobo, ram and headset replaced at this point. It cant be much else other than the base station. All my drivers are up to date...........

Hi guys,

After i clean installed my audio driver (realtek) I have been getting a message saying that i need to restart to finish installing my audio drivers.... Very weird and it keeps popping up

So ive also had my base station replaced now. This problem only happens with my gen 3 astro a50s.... i tried my old gen 2 and they never have the issue. what on earth could it be..