8700 motherboard?

I'm upgrading my 2500K to a 8700 (non K) and I already have a GTX 1060 6GB, an SSD and this PSU https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151119

I picked the following

• MSI MPG Edge AC LGA1151ATX Z390 Gaming Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15

• Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (RR-212E-20PK-R2) CPU Cooler with PWM Fan, Four Direct Contact Heat Pipes

I know the motherboard may be a bit overkill especially that I'm not going to OC, but I'd really love to have the WiFi and BE capabilities. Also MSI seems to have a better reputation than Asus and surely Gigabyte.

I have a few questions though

1. Are there any better motherboards? Preferably Z390 or H370?
  2. Any better coolers? I'm looking for a silent one as I have a Thermaletake liquid cooler that's pain to clean and became loud as it aged. I don't want to pay a lot for the cooler either.
  3. I was told my PSU is literally BAD. Is this true? Back when I bought it everyone said it was good. Should I be concerned? If yes, what PSU do you suggest?
  4. I've took off and put back every part in a PC before except for the CPU. How easy is it to put in the CPU? Is there a high chance I may f*** up?
  5. I know the 9600K is faster than the 8700 but I'm worried that the fact it has less threads may be a problem in the near future since games are now taking advantage of extra cores.

Thanks a lot and I'd appreciate your fast replies as the 8700 keeps going out of stock so I need to order asap.

1 minute ago, DaRealGiraffe said:

I'm upgrading my 2500K to a 8700 (non K) and I already have a GTX 1060 6GB, an SSD and this PSU https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?item=N82E16817151119

I picked the following

• MSI MPG Edge AC LGA1151ATX Z390 Gaming Motherboard
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3000MHz C15

• Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo (RR-212E-20PK-R2) CPU Cooler with PWM Fan, Four Direct Contact Heat Pipes

I know the motherboard may be a bit overkill especially that I'm not going to OC, but I'd really love to have the WiFi and BE capabilities. Also MSI seems to have a better reputation than Asus and surely Gigabyte.

I have a few questions though

1. Are there any better motherboards? Preferably Z390 or H370?
  2. Any better coolers? I'm looking for a silent one as I have a Thermaletake liquid cooler that's pain to clean and became loud as it aged. I don't want to pay a lot for the cooler either.
  3. I was told my PSU is literally BAD. Is this true? Back when I bought it everyone said it was good. Should I be concerned? If yes, what PSU do you suggest?
  4. I've took off and put back every part in a PC before except for the CPU. How easy is it to put in the CPU? Is there a high chance I may f*** up?

Thanks a lot and I'd appreciate your fast replies as the 8700 keeps going out of stock so I need to order asap.

go for a high quality b360 board.

I may be wrong.

1 minute ago, Altruist said:

go for a high quality b360 board.

Which one do you suggest?

Just now, DaRealGiraffe said:

Which one do you suggest?

What form factor

I may be wrong.

3 minutes ago, DaRealGiraffe said:

Also MSI seems to have a better reputation than Asus and surely Gigabyte.

Nope. MSI makes crappy motherboards.

What's your budget (for the motherboard, RAM and CPU cooler) and what's your location?

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

10 minutes ago, DaRealGiraffe said:

Also MSI seems to have a better reputation than Asus and surely Gigabyte.

Who told you this, MSI?

Every MSI product I've ever used has disappointed me, every Gigabyte and Asus motherboard has been excellent thus far. Perhaps look at an Aorus motherboard and a Ryzen 7 CPU since you can probably save loads of money this way.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

11 minutes ago, r2724r16 said:

Nope. MSI makes crappy motherboards.

What's your budget (for the motherboard, RAM and CPU cooler) and what's your location?

$600-650 that's for the CPU, cooler, RAM and mobo. I'll ship them outside the US but basically I'll be buying from US websites.

Gigabyte mobos have the worst reviews on most websites, by buyers.

6 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

Who told you this, MSI?

Every MSI product I've ever used has disappointed me, every Gigabyte and Asus motherboard has been excellent thus far. Perhaps look at an Aorus motherboard and a Ryzen 7 CPU since you can probably save loads of money this way.

MSI and Asus have better reviews on all websites I've checked including Amazon. I'm talking about people that purchased them.

I thought about going for the 2600x but it seems like Intel has more motherboard options with good reviews. Also the RAM timing/latency thing for AMD will prob end up costing me more for the RAM than the CPU itself. What do you suggest?

1 minute ago, DaRealGiraffe said:

Also the RAM timing/latency thing for AMD will prob end up costing me more for the RAM than the CPU itself. What do you suggest?

The ram you've selected would be excellent for Ryzen.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zytQzy/gigabyte-x470-aorus-gaming-5-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-aorus-gaming-5-wifi

I've made a couple PCs with the ultra gaming, really well featured for the price. This would be even better. Price changes depending on where you get it, so is this with a good Ryzen CPU cheaper for you?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

3 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

The ram you've selected would be excellent for Ryzen.

https://pcpartpicker.com/product/zytQzy/gigabyte-x470-aorus-gaming-5-wifi-atx-am4-motherboard-x470-aorus-gaming-5-wifi

I've made a couple PCs with the ultra gaming, really well featured for the price. This would be even better. Price changes depending on where you get it, so is this with a good Ryzen CPU cheaper for you?

Well, it has really bad purchase reviews on Amazon. This is a red flag. Also the 2700x is around the 8700's price and I won't have to worry about RAM timings/latency and compatibility. Doesn't latency affect fps by around 20-30?

3 hours ago, DaRealGiraffe said:

Well, it has really bad purchase reviews on Amazon. This is a red flag

I don't usually take much stock in Amazon reviews, the user base isn't as technical. 

Also the 2700x is around the 8700's price and I won't have to worry about RAM timings/latency and compatibility.

Compatibility is not affected by Ryzen. Ram timings and latency are no issue, because of the kit you chose.

Doesn't latency affect fps by around 20-30

It varies a lot how much it affects it. Again, if you're getting that 300MHz Cas 15 kit you're good, but if the 8700 costs just as much then it would be fine to stick with that.

Primary PC: