Windows 8.1 Migration (impossible?)

Bendy_BSD

So, I had learned some brief details about virtualization and it's configuration file, one of them in particular that piqued my interests was the fact I can spoof the UUID number.

What I am getting at is I would like to migrate the Windows 8.1 os to a qcow2 disk and spoof the appropriate IDs, UUID and the Storage device SN as well (if possible.)

However, there's this little splinter that's probing the back of my mind about it, as good as it sounds, there's always a catch with this.  I wonder if any can give me any extra details, because I do want to be well-informed about this plan.  Same goes for the Windows 7 Pro and Windows 7 Home drives as well so that I have a total of 6 windows vms.  two of which have an install disc with license keys respectively, the other four being from two laptops and two desktops (pre-built.)

My idea is put the drives to good use, os included.

:) Thank you in advance!  :) 

25 minutes ago, Bendy_BSD said:

Thank you in advance! 

I'm not certain I understand what you are asking. As you asking how to migrate an entire existing OS over to a VM? That can be done...within limits.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

On 12/14/2018 at 6:35 PM, Radium_Angel said:

I'm not certain I understand what you are asking. As you asking how to migrate an entire existing OS over to a VM? That can be done...within limits.

Oh!  Sweet.  :)

I just want to make sure that I can be well-informed before I take on a time-consuming task that's all. :)

8 hours ago, Bendy_BSD said:

Oh!  Sweet.  :)

I just want to make sure that I can be well-informed before I take on a time-consuming task that's all. :)

Ok. There is a VM software called VMWare, and they make a migrationtool. Works *fantastically* however.....

.....it only works with VMWare, AND the OS licence can't be OEM.

https://my.vmware.com/en/web/vmware/info/slug/infrastructure_operations_management/vmware_vcenter_converter_standalone/6_2_0

That's the software.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me.