UPDATE: Black Widow (2nd Build) (Now with GPU!)

Well everyone, the time has come to build another rig. Why? My current rig is to big. Physically too big. The Cosmos II is an absolute beast of a case. I originally went with that case because I thought I needed room for all of my hard drives. I've since discovered that I didn't need all of my hard drives in one case. After realizing that, I decided to build a gaming rig, and also transplant the rest of my current components into a smaller case in the future.

I know there are a couple of things about my new build that are a little played out. One being the black and red theme, the other being the 350D. First things first, I tried to keep the red in this build to a minimum. I'm from Lexington, and as a result I kind of hate the color red, but there was no way around it considering the parts I chose. Second, the 350D is an awesome little case. It was so much easier to build in than the Cosmos II.

On to the specs:

Case: Corsair Obsidian 350D

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Gene

CPU: Intel i5 4670K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H110

RAM: Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB (2x 8GB) 1866 MHz

PSU: Corsair AX760

Boot Drive: Corsair Neutron GTX 240GB

Storage: 2x Seagate Barracude 1.5TB in RAID0

Display: 3x Dell P2414H

GPU: 2x Asus DirectCU II GTX 780

Keyboard: Corsair K70 with Cherry MX Red switches and Max Keyboard front print translucent key caps

Mouse: SteelSeries Diablo III

A couple of notes on the parts currently being used:

The GPU was pulled from my main rig. It will be going back once I get my tax refund and purchase a 780Ti.

The keyboard is only temporary until I can get one to replace the one on my main rig. Once that happens I will move my Corsair K70 Red over to my new rig.

I also plan on getting a new mouse. Perhaps another Logitech G600, but I'll probably stay with Corsair. There is no other reason other than to stay consistent with manufacturer.

ON TO THE PICS!!!!!!!

The first pieces arrive...

IMG_0013.jpg

Putting together the first pieces...

IMG_0014.jpg

All of the new goodies arrive...

IMG_0016.jpg

Out of the box...

IMG_0017.jpg

Let's throw this mess together...

IMG_0607.jpg

And a view from the back for your viewing (dis)pleasure...

IMG_0606.jpg

Currently, I am pretty damn happy with this build. By far the most difficult part was fitting the H110 in the top. I had read to plug in the 8-pin connector to the motherboard before putting it in, this turned out to be the wrong thing to do. I had to install the H110 then plug in the 8-pin connector. Doing it in that order was butter.

I'll leave you with one more pic. This will make a lot of people squirm, but I took it as a comparison between the Cosmos II and the 350D.

IMG_0608.jpg

UPDATE

Here's a nice shot of the "empty" chassis.

IMG_0639.jpg

A shot of the goodies.

IMG_0644.jpg

Installed

IMG_0645.jpg

Semi-close-up

IMG_0648.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on my windowed side panel to make it to Kentucky from California.

Total price: $3035.38

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White Windowed | Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe/Dual | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2133 Mhz | GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB | PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W 80 Plus Gold | Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Mouse | Headset: SteelSeries Siberia V2 | Monitor: 3x Dell P2414H

I thought you were gonna use a Razer Blackwidow lol.

Muh rig: i7 4770k, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, MSI Z87 G45, Kingston Hyper X Blu 8GB, Samsung 840 EVO 120 + WD Blue 1 TB, Asus GTX 770 2GB, Corsair 200r + 2x Corsair AF 120 Blue + 1x Stock corsair fan, Corsair TX650, LG 27EA33V IPS, Steelseries Sensei Raw + QCK mini, CM Quickfire Ultimate Blue.

Same lol

There are 10 types of people in this world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Same lol

I never really understood why that keyboard was named what it was. Does it kill its partner when they are done? It should named the Praying Mantis if so. And that would work with the color scheme.

Why Blackwidow? Are you a black widow?

I like Marvel characters. And the build is mainly black with a little bit of red, just like a black widow spider.

I did get the solid side panel version of the 350D because it was $15 cheaper. But with a $20 MIR, I do plan on getting the windowed side panel in the future. I also plan on upgrading to sleeved cables in the future. They just weren't a priority in getting the build completed.

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 Arctic White Windowed | Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe/Dual | CPU: Intel Core i7 4770k | CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M | RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2133 Mhz | GPU: 2x EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB | PSU: OCZ ZX Series 850W 80 Plus Gold | Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Ultimate 2013 | Mouse: Logitech G600 MMO Mouse | Headset: SteelSeries Siberia V2 | Monitor: 3x Dell P2414H

looks good. are you running a 5 monitor surround in portrait mode? if so that is nuts. would love to see some pics

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

looks good. are you running a 5 monitor surround in portrait mode? if so that is nuts. would love to see some pics

I'll give you a few photos walking through my most recent monitor setups.

Here is the first shipment of 3 Dell P2414H's. You can see some of my old monitors sitting on the right hand side of the desk.

IMG_0558.jpg

Here is the setup after the second shipment of 3 Dell P2414H's, making 6 total. The right hand monitor was in landscape for viewing certain pages more easily.

IMG_0566-1.jpg

Here's a quick shot after I rotated the right hand display to be in portrait also. It simply made for a much cleaner look.

IMG_0587.jpg

And now on to my current setup. It took me 4 hours to rearrange everything into 2 separate setups and to do a LOT of cable cleanup.

IMG_0613.jpg

I love the man cave.

Man cave? Nah, that is just my bedroom.

Wow that is pretty nuts! So are the two different systems tasked for different things? Workstation/gaming?

My build:  Leviathan  Case: 900D  CPU: i7 3770K (watercooled)  Mobo: Z77X-UD5H GPU: EVGA GTX 780 Hydro Copper GPU: MSI GTX 780 watercooled PSU: EVGA 1300W G2  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Vengance  HDDs: 1 x 120 GB Intel 330 SSD (OS X); 1 x 256 GB Samsung 840 pro (Windows 8); 2 x 2TB Seagate Barracuda (RAID 0 Data OS X); 1 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda (OS X backups)  Monitors: 1 x 24" Apple LED Cinema (center); 2 x 23" Apple LED Cinema (surround)  Watercooling: 3 rads, CPU, GPU, GPU, MCP655 pump, Lots of fittings, EK reservoir, EK UV Blue coolant.  Updated build: Leviathan 2.0

Jeez dude. That is crazy.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

Wow that is pretty nuts! So are the two different systems tasked for different things? Workstation/gaming?

Absolutely. The system on the left is my main rig. The one I use for everything except gaming/streaming. The system on the right is to be used for gaming/streaming. I decided last night that I wanted to start streaming my gameplay, mainly as a reason to force myself to play the games I've purchased.

So I want to stream using ShadowPlay. It seems a lot easier to me than setting up the right scenes/screens and all that mess. I ran into a bit of a problem that took me quite a while to figure out. I could stream to Twitch using ShadowPlay on my main rig, but not my gaming rig. Come to find out ShadowPlay won't stream at resolutions higher than 1920x1080. Thus I was forced to rotate my gaming displays to landscape. It sucks because it takes up a TON more room on the desktop. Three 24-inch monitors in landscape stretches a little over 5 feet. I now have TWO of those set up.

Bask in the glow that keeps me awake at night...

IMG_0614.jpg

That's totally nuts. 10 ft of monitor space. Talk about desktop real estate!!! SICK!

holy fu**ing sh*t that's awesome. how can you sleep at all with those next ti you?

PC specs.3570k, asus p8z77m pro, 8gb corsair vengence 1600MHz, XFX 550w, seagate barracuda 1TB, MSI 660ti, cooler master k350, cooler master hyper tx3 evo.

holy fu**ing sh*t that's awesome. how can you sleep at all with those next ti you?

It is very difficult. The day I completed this build, and thus the first night with this setup, I didn't go to sleep until 6am. 

I've come a long way since I fried the integrated GPU in my laptop by constantly hooking up a 2nd monitor.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

UPDATE: The GPUs finally arrived yesterday!

Here's a nice shot of the "empty" chassis.

IMG_0639.jpg

A shot of the goodies.

IMG_0644.jpg

Installed

IMG_0645.jpg

Semi-close-up

IMG_0648.jpg

Now I'm just waiting on my windowed side panel to make it to Kentucky from California.

Total price: $3035.38

What resolution are you running those monitors at? I can't imagine you'd be running 1440 or 1660P across 6 monitors on two 780's? :o

Damn dude. This is sweet.

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

What resolution are you running those monitors at? I can't imagine you'd be running 1440 or 1660P across 6 monitors on two 780's? :o

I'm actually running 2 systems. The one in this thread is my gaming rig. The "other one" is my main rig. My main rig is running with the help of 2 EVGA ACX 760s.

Both systems are running at 5760x1080.

Damn dude. This is sweet.

Thank you. If the weather stays clear, and I don't have to work on Saturday, I'll be making a run to Ikea to get another shelf for my desk. I will promptly attached said shelf and raise both of my towers up to show them off.

Don't worry, I've measured/weighed everything. I should have no problems making sure everything is safe.

oh nice. me likes.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

• 2 weeks later...

dude, you are just ballin out of control with that setup.  Jaw dropping.

curious, why can't your main rig be a gaming rig as well? lol

Wow Bro.. R.I.P Penelec.. haha.. Really diggin' it.

What desk are you using? I like it.

Space.. I am.. Space.. 

dude, you are just ballin out of control with that setup.  Jaw dropping.

curious, why can't your main rig be a gaming rig as well? lol

It definitely could be. But I bottleneck the network adapter on it almost 24/7, so gaming, and especially gaming online would be near impossible.

Maybe it will be when I can save up enough funds to build an HTPC, but thanks to Student Loans, that won't be happening for quite a while.

Wow Bro.. R.I.P Penelec.. haha.. Really diggin' it.

What desk are you using? I like it.

I'm using an Ikea Galant Left Corner desk with an extension on the left, a quarter round extension on the right, and two Galant shelves to put my towers on display.

Heck, I haven't even updated this thread with a current picture of my setup. I've cleaned it up a bit. I'll do that when I get home from work.

It definitely could be. But I bottleneck the network adapter on it almost 24/7, so gaming, and especially gaming online would be near impossible.

Maybe it will be when I can save up enough funds to build an HTPC, but thanks to Student Loans, that won't be happening for quite a while.

I'm using an Ikea Galant Left Corner desk with an extension on the left, a quarter round extension on the right, and two Galant shelves to put my towers on display.

Heck, I haven't even updated this thread with a current picture of my setup. I've cleaned it up a bit. I'll do that when I get home from work.

Please tag me when you update I want to see current set up :)

Please tag me when you update I want to see current set up :)

Will a quote work? Here are a bunch of pics...

The Main Rig

Case: Fractal Design Define R4 in Arctic White with Window

Motherboard: Asus Z87-Deluxe/Dual (purchased when I had an Apple Thunderbolt Cinema Display, would definitely go with a different board now since I'm not using the features that make this board unique)

CPU: Intel i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Seidon 240M

RAM: 32GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 2133MHz

Boot Drive: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB

Storage: Total of 17TB on various HDDs

GPU: 2x EVGA GTX 760 with ACX cooling

PSU: OCZ ZX850W

Speakers: Logitech Z323

Mouse: Logitech G600

Mouse Mat: Corsair MM200 Extended Edition Gaming Mouse Mat

Keyboard: Razer BlackWidow Ultimate 2013 (LOVE these Blue switches)

Monitors: 3x Dell P2414H

Additional Display: Samsung 43" 720p Plasma TV

IMG_0686.jpg

IMG_0689.jpg

IMG_0693.jpg

The Gaming Rig

Case: Corsair 350D with Window

Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Gene

CPU: Intel i5-4670K @ 4.6GHz

CPU Cooler: Corsair H110

RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro @ 1866MHz

Boot Drive: Cosair Neutron GTX 240GB

Storage: 2x Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB in Raid 0

GPU: 2x Asus DirectCU II OC GTX 780

PSU: Corsair AX760 

Headset: SteelSeries Siberia V2

Mouse: Corsair M95

Mouse Mat: Some free mouse mat I got at a NASCAR race a couple of years ago

Keyboard: Corsair K70 (Red switches) with front pint key caps from Max Keyboard.

Game Controller: Xbox 360 controller for Windows

Mic: Blue Yeti with pop filter

IMG_0688.jpg

IMG_0690.jpg

IMG_0695.jpg

Desk and Accessories

Desk: Ikea Galant (left corner) with Extension on the left, and Quarter Round Extension on the right.

Shelves: 2x Ikea Galant shelves to raise cases up for display

Lighting: Bankers Lamp with LED Daylight Bulb from Wal*Mart/Lowes

Comfort Pieces: Small storage ottoman from Wal*mart, Double storage ottoman from Target (for when I want to lay back and relax). Also a small space heater that trips my breaker every time I turn it on.

Chair: I forget the name, but some chair from Office Depot that is starting to crack. Might be time for another upgrade.

Smell Neutralizer: Scentsy Black Zebra Element Warmer with Watermelon Mint Scentsy Bar

Additional Toys

Tablet: iPad Mini with Retina Display (wifi only 16GB)

Phone: iPhone 5 (AT&T 16GB)

IMG_0692.jpg