Fans rattle when horrizontal

ShoByte

These cooler masterfan pro airflow are brand new. and my top exhaust fans are rattling. If they are vertical they are fine. It comes and goes. The rubber mounts are on the other side so I can't use them. It's getting extremely annoying.

2 minutes ago, ShoByte said:

These cooler masterfan pro airflow are brand new. and my top exhaust fans are rattling. If they are vertical they are fine. It comes and goes. The rubber mounts are on the other side so I can't use them. It's getting extremely annoying.

I've seen it occur on sleeve bearing fans before where they can rattle in a horizontal position due to the nature of the bearing. I would suggest to try some of the others to see if they exhibit the same behavior, if not then definitely RMA the bad ones. 

It seems it's every type. I tried 120mm air flow, 140mm air flow, 120 air preasure.

It would be nice to use those rubber feet but they are only on one side.

It seems it's every type. I tried 120mm air flow, 140mm air flow, 120 air preasure.

It would be nice to use those rubber feet but they are only on one side.

It's not the rubber isolation that is preventing the rattling it's the bearing and the blades of the spinning fans themselves, since they are sleeved bearings they do not do as well in a horizontal orientation compared to vertical. Some bearings are built better than others and won't have this kind of problem, it varies between manufactures that they use.  

I've even got a fluid bearing fan in a horizontal position which started to rattle (which shouldn't happen) after a certain RPM in a horizontal position. 

There is one at the bottom horizontal. It doesn't make a peep. Soon as it's on the top exhaust it makes a noise

2 minutes ago, W-L said:

It's not the rubber isolation that is preventing the rattling it's the bearing and the blades of the spinning fans themselves, since they are sleeved bearings they do not do as well in a horizontal orientation compared to vertical. Some bearings are built better than others and won't have this kind of problem, it varies between manufactures that they use.  

I've even got a fluid bearing fan in a horizontal position which started to rattle (which shouldn't happen) after a certain RPM in a horizontal position. 

4 minutes ago, ShoByte said:

There is one at the bottom horizontal. It doesn't make a peep. Soon as it's on the top exhaust it makes a noise

How is it mounted onto a radiator, directly to the case?

1 minute ago, ShoByte said:

Direct on the case. D10 dynamic.

Which case is that can you drop a link, also does the fan stop rattling if you put your hand on the frame to brace it or by change the RPM of it?

mb

http://www.lian-li.com/pc-o11-dynamic/

Soon as i put my finger on the hub it goes away.

1 minute ago, W-L said:

Which case is that can you drop a link, also does the fan stop rattling if you put your hand on the frame to brace it or by change the RPM of it?

All of what you describes sounds like a bad bearing to me, or from the inherent nature of the sleeve bearing. Try contacting coolermaster to see if they have this problem before cause I'm surprised I've not hear this more often if this is common.

As to why it causes noise only when top mounted is a bit of a mystery, could you record it maybe we're approaching this differently. 

24 minutes ago, W-L said:

Yeah that sounds like a bearing rattle to me at least. See what coolermaster says maybe if you can show them and see if they will issue you an RMA.

Issue is it's every version of the master pro.

10 hours ago, ShoByte said:

Issue is it's every version of the master pro.

Only thing I can really say is the bearing type not liking the orientation to be the cause of if that happens with all their products. 

7 hours ago, W-L said:

Only thing I can really say is the bearing type not liking the orientation to be the cause of if that happens with all their products. 

They don't want to admit it's the bearing type that's doing this. They're going to make me pay for shipping and the same thing is going to happen.

They don't want to admit it's the bearing type that's doing this. They're going to make me pay for shipping and the same thing is going to happen.

Well reasonable to assume they don't want to shoot themselves in the foot if it is the bearing which I personally suspect since it's only what looks to be a sleeved bearing. Other than that you can try taking them apart and adding some heavy weight oil to see if it helps, or look at ones that use a hydro bearing.

Going to RMA them, going to have a feeling I lost $94

10 minutes ago, W-L said:

Well reasonable to assume they don't want to shoot themselves in the foot if it is the bearing which I personally suspect since it's only what looks to be a sleeved bearing. Other than that you can try taking them apart and adding some heavy weight oil to see if it helps, or look at ones that use a hydro bearing.