i7 3820

PRIME686

Im thinking of upgrading my gpu to a 1070ti and i was wondering if it will get bottlenecked by my old sandy bridge cpu?

In some very cpu depended games or in e sport titles but it won't be too noticeable

9 minutes ago, PRIME686 said:

Im thinking of upgrading my gpu to a 1070ti and i was wondering if it will get bottlenecked by my old sandy bridge cpu?

What is your actual GPU, also i think the best thing you can do is watch a video with the 1070Ti and a relevant (new) cpu like a i5 8400 with a 1070Ti and see the video of a 1070Ti with your i7.

2 minutes ago, IsraChido said:

What is your actual GPU, also i think the best thing you can do is watch a video with the 1070Ti and a relevant (new) cpu like a i5 8400 with a 1070Ti and see the video of a 1070Ti with your i7.

4 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

You should be fine, but if you find yourself wanting a better CPU, you've got PLENTY of room to upgrade on that platform. 

Also if you want obviously and if you can upgrade to AMD (before the Intel fanboys get here i want to explain why) AM4 PLATFORM IS GOING TO END AT 2020, so if you buy a R7 1700 cheap, you can upgrade later just the cpu, because the am4 platform of the b350 x370 etc is still working with a bios update.

Just now, IsraChido said:

Also if you want obviously and if you can upgrade to AMD (before the Intel fanboys get here i want to explain why) AM4 PLATFORM IS GOING TO END AT 2020, so if you buy a R7 1700 cheap, you can upgrade later just the cpu, because the am4 platform of the b350 x370 etc is still working with a bios update.

Or just buy a used motherboard with cpu like the ryzen 5 1400 with a b350 mobo from Asrock for example.

2 minutes ago, IsraChido said:

OP has a lower end CPU on a premium (enthusiast) chipset board. (Aka the types of boards that support modern extreme processors.)  Which means his CPU is better than most of the CPUs on the non enthusiast chipset boards of the same generation. His platform has CPUs that have up to 10 cores with hyperthreading. It's unlikely he'll have to upgrade his main board any time soon. He could buy a hyperthreaded hexacore for ~$170 right now. There's just no beating that performance with new parts. 

I like my ASUS P9X79 motherboard but its hard to come across 6 core CPUs on the sandy bridge platform

8 minutes ago, IsraChido said:

Sigh....

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4930K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2400G/1976vsm433194

Mid range vs mid range... and you can buy the i7-4930K cheaper. And the chipset is better suited for overclocking, and it has support for quad channel ram... and... and...and

It's like comparing a low end older ferrari vs a mid range brand new mercedes.

He literally has no reason to upgrade unless he wants to throw money away.

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Sigh....

https://cpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-Core-i7-4930K-vs-AMD-Ryzen-5-2400G/1976vsm433194

Mid range vs mid range... and you can buy the i7-4930K cheaper. And the chipset is better suited for overclocking, and it has support for quad channel ram... and... and...and

It's like comparing a low end older ferrari vs a mid range brand new mercedes.

He literally has no reason to upgrade unless he wants to throw money away.

From 3000 series to 4000 at least the motherboard is able to support a 4000 (also good luck finding that cpu brand new at a good price)

The cheap bandaid fix would be to get a overclockable sandy / ivy bridge CPU for X79 (Ideally six core).

I doubt you'll have much issue, but it's mostly clock speed that would hold you back if anything (Depends on game of course).

I'm stuck on sandy bridge as well because 32GB of DDR4 costs so much. 2700K at 4.9 GHz still kicking strong though (Hoping to get an 8700K used)

5 hours ago, IsraChido said:

also good luck finding that cpu brand new at a good price

Because buying CPUs used is such a terrible idea /s. I and plenty others had really good experience buying used CPUs (I've bought over 100 used CPUs myself and only had a single one in there that I suspected to be degraded). Just purchase them from a commercial seller and you are pretty much safe for that...

For x79 the Xeon E5 1650/1660/1650 v2/1660 v2/1680 v2 (8core) are excellent picks, they are usually a bit better binned then the 4930k/3930k and don't really cost more, at least the 6 core parts.

For this case - OP should get the 1070 Ti and keep an eye on CPU and GPU utilisation. If the GPU isn't being fully utilised while the CPU is, getting a 6 core and overclocking that wouldn't hurt.

Xeon e5649@4.4 GHz on Asus Rampage II Extreme or Gigabyte x58a-OC (whatever I feel like to set up at a time) , 6x4 GB Kingston HyperX 1600, Gainward GTX 670 Phantom, Samsung 840 Evo 240 GB, BeQuiet L8 530W

5 hours ago, Ground said:

Because buying CPUs used is such a terrible idea /s. I and plenty others had really good experience buying used CPUs (I've bought over 100 used CPUs myself and only had a single one in there that I suspected to be degraded).

Shhh...let them buy new ones so I can still get cheap used ones. haha