Hard Drive Seen In BIOS, But Windows Doesn't See It

ilia_bro

Building a new PC, all the hardware is installed, I have a Seagate Barracuda 2TB in slot 0 in a SATA 6 mbps port and a Samsung SSD 840 120 GB in slot 1 in a SATA.6 mbps port as well. My motherboard is the Gigabyte Z77X-D3H.

After booting the PC, the BIOS menu pops up and quickly disappears into this message "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key" If I try to install Windows 7, it cannot see any one of the two hard drives, however when I open my BIOS, I can clearly see these two drives.

Putting aside the option that both of these drives are faulty (only bought 2 days ago) is there anyone that knows how to fix this problem? I tried googling and had little success. Any sort of response would be much appreciated!!

~ilia_bro

you need to change the boot device to the dvd drive or usb port for windows to install next time you boot. then it will hopefully start to install windows. it should show your ssd and hdd. when you install windows if you don't see your hdd then go to computer, in the start menu. click manage. then storage, then disk management. you should see your hdd and ssd there. create a simple volume by right clicking and following the instructions. hoped this helped

I changed my boot drive to my Optical DVD drive to install windows, except it needs a hard drive for installation, in which case it doesn't see any of the drives for some strange reason. Thanks for you help anyway!

~ilia_bro

You may need to change the Sata Ports your hard drive is plugged into

I have tried all of the SATA 6 mbps and SATA 3 mbps ports

If your using RAID and ACHI I can guarantee you'll need the drivers on a USB stick, so you can install them during the install process. Windows wont see hard disks with out drivers !

Sounds like you have 4 of your ports set to either RAID or ACHI mode and the other 2 set to IDE, this would explain why windows only see one drive ! IDE mode windows has standard drivers on the disk, it's ACHI or RAID you'll need to install during install process (you might want to keep your cdrom on the IDE emulated sata ports) the drivers will be on the disc you got with the main board

Windows seemed to have recognised the 2TB drive, but not the SSD. I'll try installing windows on the 2tb first, reinstall it on the SSD.