Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

non-apple tablet recommendations

LordOfTheCows
 Share

Hey everyone:) 
My father has wished for a tablet this christmas, and my mom and i are looking to give hime one.
He has however asked that it should not be from Apple, and with that goes my idea for the tablet as I feel like tablets are one of the things apple really does do well.
And as I am unfamiliar with the tablet marked I'd love to hear if anyone has some tablets they like using (or some we definetly shouldnt buy).

I expect it to be used mostly for work related things, email and such as well as for movies.

We are currently looking at the Samsung Tab S3 9,7".

 

Thank you so very much for your time :) 

(and happy holidays to everyone as well) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, LordOfTheCows said:

Hey everyone:) 
My father has wished for a tablet this christmas, and my mom and i are looking to give hime one.
He has however asked that it should not be from Apple, and with that goes my idea for the tablet as I feel like tablets are one of the things apple really does do well.
And as I am unfamiliar with the tablet marked I'd love to hear if anyone has some tablets they like using (or some we definetly shouldnt buy).

I expect it to be used mostly for work related things, email and such as well as for movies.

We are currently looking at the Samsung Tab S3 9,7".

 

Thank you so very much for your time :) 

(and happy holidays to everyone as well) 

What's your budget? Also if you are interested in getting the latest and greatest, the S3 is last gen, currently Samsung is on the S4.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

What's your budget? Also if you are interested in getting the latest and greatest, the S3 is last gen, currently Samsung is on the S4.

sorry for the late respond my labtop died :/ oh well.

i dont think we are particulairly looking for the latest and gratest, its just more of trying to get one for a resonable price. we dont have a budget per say its mostly just getting a good tablet with a solid user experience without having to blow a crazy ammount of money.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, LordOfTheCows said:

sorry for the late respond my labtop died :/ oh well.

i dont think we are particulairly looking for the latest and gratest, its just more of trying to get one for a resonable price. we dont have a budget per say its mostly just getting a good tablet with a solid user experience without having to blow a crazy ammount of money.

Well, as far as android tablets go, the Galaxy Tab is a hard line to beat

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Tab S4 over Tab S3, unless there is a huge price Difference.

Tab S4 has:

- a larger Display, with a wider 16:10 ratio (better for movies!!)

- a good tad better Performance

- newer = will possibly get 1 or maybe even 2 newer Android versions as updates (but still, Android updates on Tablets are literaly Garbage...)

 

Other than that: Yea, iPad > any Android tablet on the market, period. Android is dead on Tablets, Google gave uip on this OS 2 years ago~. There is zero  OS optimization going on, and almost no App-optimization (most are just blown up Phone App layouts), and of course, how many Apps are available are much less. iOS has the btter optimization, performance, app ecosystem etc.

And it gets 5 years updates, while Android tablets.. 1-2 years. (Tab S2 got 1 year updates. 1 year after it launched, a new Android version droped, it never got a nother version update aside from security patches).

 

I personally am an Android-person, and i used 2 android tablets over 3 years (nexus 9 for 1 year, Pixel C for 2 years). Switched to iPad Pro 2nd gen (10,5"), i would not trade it for ANY Android Tablet on the market right now. I know, it has the better performance, better apps, and i can easily use it for the next 4-5 years without worrying about anything. Despite having nothing else from Apple

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Darkseth said:

Tab S4 over Tab S3, unless there is a huge price Difference.

Tab S4 has:

- a larger Display, with a wider 16:10 ratio (better for movies!!)

- a good tad better Performance

- newer = will possibly get 1 or maybe even 2 newer Android versions as updates (but still, Android updates on Tablets are literaly Garbage...)

 

Other than that: Yea, iPad > any Android tablet on the market, period. Android is dead on Tablets, Google gave uip on this OS 2 years ago~. There is zero  OS optimization going on, and almost no App-optimization (most are just blown up Phone App layouts), and of course, how many Apps are available are much less. iOS has the btter optimization, performance, app ecosystem etc.

And it gets 5 years updates, while Android tablets.. 1-2 years. (Tab S2 got 1 year updates. 1 year after it launched, a new Android version droped, it never got a nother version update aside from security patches).

 

I personally am an Android-person, and i used 2 android tablets over 3 years (nexus 9 for 1 year, Pixel C for 2 years). Switched to iPad Pro 2nd gen (10,5"), i would not trade it for ANY Android Tablet on the market right now. I know, it has the better performance, better apps, and i can easily use it for the next 4-5 years without worrying about anything. Despite having nothing else from Apple

the s4 is $250 more so for the small upgrade from a snapdragon 820 to a 835 seems underwhealming (im fuled by googling so if it actually a great deal for some reason let me know, these are just my impressions) but yeah i fully agree with all your points, apple is way better when it comes to tablets. unfortunatly my dad says he trouble with exel and powerpoint on apple (plus he is a bit stuborn sometimes and he has decided long ago that he doesnt like apple xD).

 

thank you so much for the help :) 

 

1 hour ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Well, as far as android tablets go, the Galaxy Tab is a hard line to beat

well looks like we wernt completely off then :) 

thank you so much for the help :) 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

In some scenarios 835 could be much better, since the 820 also was just a 2+2 Core setup, 835 a 4+4 Core.

 

But still, the Tab S3 should still provide a solid performance.

 

 

Keep in Mind, the Tab S4 seems to have some kind of Desktop Mode (reviews, not thaaat familiar with it), not sure if the Tab S3 has that too or doesn't.

 

If you are willing to invest a bit more, the new Pixel Slate could be a very good choice: https://store.google.com/gb/product/pixel_slate_specs

This new Tablet from Google uses ChromeOS, instead Android. Pretty much the "better Android" for Tablets. You can use all Android Apps, but it's a more advanced OS, with much longer updates (and a full Desktop version of Chrome), making it a more long-time purchase.

Similar priced as a Tab S4~, however just a basic CPU. Not the fastest. Sadly, going up to some decent hardware makes it really expensive. But if there are many more years of updates, it could be worth it.

 

Maybe watch some reviews about that ^^

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Darkseth said:

In some scenarios 835 could be much better, since the 820 also was just a 2+2 Core setup, 835 a 4+4 Core.

 

But still, the Tab S3 should still provide a solid performance.

 

 

Keep in Mind, the Tab S4 seems to have some kind of Desktop Mode (reviews, not thaaat familiar with it), not sure if the Tab S3 has that too or doesn't.

 

If you are willing to invest a bit more, the new Pixel Slate could be a very good choice: https://store.google.com/gb/product/pixel_slate_specs

This new Tablet from Google uses ChromeOS, instead Android. Pretty much the "better Android" for Tablets. You can use all Android Apps, but it's a more advanced OS, with much longer updates (and a full Desktop version of Chrome), making it a more long-time purchase.

Similar priced as a Tab S4~, however just a basic CPU. Not the fastest. Sadly, going up to some decent hardware makes it really expensive. But if there are many more years of updates, it could be worth it.

 

Maybe watch some reviews about that ^^

ill look at it, thank you ❤️ 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×