MSI RTX 2070 Armor ??

Amir93
Go to solution Solved by Morgan MLGman,
1 minute ago, Amir93 said:

So its good in cooling, what about performance ??Will it perform the same like GTX 1080 ?? because i know previously that higher 2070 models perform a slightly higher so what about Armor one ??

It should be the same, or at least very similar but for more detailed information I have to guide you to reviews on trustworthy sites:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-rtx-2070-armor-8g-review,1.html
https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/dominic-moass/msi-rtx-2070-armor-8g-review/
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/123503-msi-geforce-rtx-2070-armor-8g/

Hope this helps.

Hello guys, a friend of me needs help about a GPU he wanted to buy: its the MSI RTX 2070 Armor.

First of all, available GPUs here are:

- MSI RTX 2070 Armor.

vs

- MSI RTX 2070 Gaming Z.

The Gaming Z is overpriced for him by like 140$, i told my friend its not worth as the performance difference is not that big (1740 MHz Armor) vs (1830 MHz Gaming Z), i don't think it will make any difference in gaming, maybe just 3-4 FPS only.

But i wanted to ask about cooling, is it good with armor?? i checked MSI site about, found the cooler used is similar to that one used in MSI 1070 Gaming X and 1070 ti Gaming which in my own perspective was nice and quiet, but i'm not sure so guys wanted to ask you about because we're living in a very hot country.

Thanks in advance.

5 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

dont buy the Armor model. the cooling solution of these cards are sub-par at best.

Are you sure about the RTX 2070 model? I know that the Armor card for the 1080Ti is bad in terms of cooling, but the RTX 2070 draws a lot less power (thus less heat) and the cooler on the RTX series seems to be improved. It also has a backplate this time and RGB MSI logo:
1539706032_index.php
EDIT: Temps seem quite decent:
thermals-2.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, keep msi's binning process in mind. the aero and armor get the worst binned chips. I would look for some more alternatives.

and what @GoldenLag  said, of course

Well, i know that its bad cooling with previous versions like 1070 and 1070 ti, but i'm talking currently about RTX 2070 Armor, i checked site and found its cooler the same used with 1070 and 1070 ti Gaming which was nice and quiet, what do you think ??

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-RTX-2070-ARMOR-8G-OC

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GEFORCE-GTX-1070-GAMING-X-8G.html

It's Torx Fan 2.0 and its the same cooler used with 1070 Gaming X and 1070 ti.

Well, i know that its bad cooling with previous versions like 1070 and 1070 ti, but i'm talking currently about RTX 2070 Armor, i checked site and found its cooler the same used with 1070 and 1070 Gaming which was nice and quiet, what do you think ??

See my edited post for details. This time around, the Armor card seems quite decent.
Acoustics seem pretty good too:
acoustics-3.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Just now, Amir93 said:

Well, i know that its bad cooling with previous versions like 1070 and 1070 ti, but i'm talking currently about RTX 2070 Armor, i checked site and found its cooler the same used with 1070 and 1070 Gaming which was nice and quiet, what do you think ??

I haven't checked on the newer armor coolers, but the old one differed with up to 20 degrees from a good card. And they will clock worse, because of that binning process from msi I was talking about a while back

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Are you sure about the RTX 2070 model?

i will admit i havent looked into the RTX model of cards, but that heatsink looks very familiar compared to other armor cards. i just use the rule of thumb to avoid them in trade for other cards instead.

2 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

See my edited post for details. This time around, the Armor card seems quite decent.
Acoustics seem pretty good too:

ill add this to my ever confusing list of good and bad cards. 

10 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

i will admit i havent looked into the RTX model of cards, but that heatsink looks very familiar compared to other armor cards. i just use the rule of thumb to avoid them in trade for other cards instead.

From other pictures:
b6953f7b-3a83-4502-8bac-bff0f2970464.png
It seems like it has the previous Gaming X cooler on it with a modified shroud, it looks correct as MSI usually used the previous-gen TwinFrozr on newer Armor cards.

But the binning process is still true, GamersNexus verified that. Also, this time around the Armor card has the "ZeroFan" technology, meaning that the fans stop at idle. Previously they did not have that.

I believe MSI introduced an RTX model called "Ventus" which is like the old Armor card and it most likely replaces it in their lineup. It also looks similarly:
14-137-376-V08.jpg
I wouldn't recommend buying this one though :P

11 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

It seems like it has the previous Gaming X cooler on it with a modified shroud, it looks correct as MSI usually used the previous-gen TwinFrozr on newer Armor cards.

But the binning process is still true, GamersNexus verified that.

So its good in cooling, what about performance ??Will it perform the same like GTX 1080 ?? because i know previously that higher 2070 models perform a slightly higher so what about Armor one ??

It should be the same, or at least very similar but for more detailed information I have to guide you to reviews on trustworthy sites:
https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/msi-geforce-rtx-2070-armor-8g-review,1.html
https://www.kitguru.net/components/graphic-cards/dominic-moass/msi-rtx-2070-armor-8g-review/
https://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/123503-msi-geforce-rtx-2070-armor-8g/

Hope this helps.

12 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Well, according to these sites, it seems performance is between 1080 and 2070 Gaming Z, cooling also is good, and to be more honest its cheaper than GTX 1080 by like 28$ (MSI Gaming X), so i think its worth it, thank you so much for help :) :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I have a Armour 2070RTX, and I certainly have 0 issues with cooling. The heat sink on it is pretty beefy and thick.

under load whilst playing BFV or Cities skylines both of them on ‘ultra’ settings 1080P temps never/ very rarely come past 60C. Usually sits around 55-58C.

im waiting for prices to drop/find a good deal for an 1440P Gsync IPS panel. They are now between €700-1100. I suppose upping the res will increase heat too, Or is that a false statement?

MSI B450 Pro Gaming Pro Carbon AC | AMD Ryzen 2700x  | NZXT  Kraken X52  MSI GeForce RTX2070 Armour | Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (4*8) 3200MhZ | Samsung 970 evo M.2nvme 500GB Boot  / Samsung 860 evo 500GB SSD | Corsair RM550X (2018) | Fractal Design Meshify C white | Logitech G pro WirelessGigabyte Aurus AD27QD