GTX 1080 in 144Hz 1080p monitor. NEED HELP.

Hello everyone,

Planning on building my first gaming rig. Need your suggestions. 

CPU:  Ryzen 7 2700X 8 Core 3.70 GHz and will be using the stock cooler

RAM: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory

Monitor:  I'll be using any 1920x1080 monitor that have 144hz either with gsync, freesync or without.

PSU: EVGA SuperNOVA G2 650W 80+ Gold

Questions:
 ***My choice for the graphics card-- Nvidia GTX 1080 for future-proofing but, (NEED YOUR SUGGETIONS)***

1. Should I go with GTX 1080? or just with the 1070 or 1070 Ti???

2. What graphics card brand should I get? (I am planning on getting asus strix because of the my theme set-up)

PS. The country that I live in have very limited parts and these are the only parts that really match my preference.

Will be playing high-end games and do some productivity too who knows.

--some says that GTX 1080 is overkill and some says its ok becuz of future-proofing.

Thanks and Happy gaming :D

It would be good to know the budget and your country, but I'll go off of what you have listed so far.

1. If you're comfortable with overclocking, get the 1070Ti. It's cheaper and can be overclocked to the performance of a 1080. GPU overclocking is more straight forward than CPU overclocking.

2. Brand: Asus is great, especially for overclocking. I personally like EVGA's stuff way more and I'm a fanboy for their cards. If you get EVGA the FTW cards are the best (ftw, ftw2, ftw3). The FTW cards have nice RGB and aren't as big as the Strix cards. If an EVGA ftw card is cheaper or the SC black EVGA cards if it goes with your theme (it won't have RGB), then get it over the strix card. If the strix card is the same price as an EVGA card I think anyone would get that over any other card.

Future proofing is a focus for a lot of people unless you make a new PC every year. It mostly depends on what games and settings you're playing them at. Since you're getting a 144hz monitor, I assume you're playing csgo and games that run faster than 144fps easily. I don't see 144hz as useful/worth it if you're playing a bunch of games that get less than 144fps constantly. I got a 144hz monitor because I play a lot of csgo, which runs 144fps+ easily.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1070 Ti's can be OC'd to be nearly the same as a 1080, so it's really just a question of what price difference are you looking at?

with a 5 second overclock you can get stock 1080 performence on a good 1070 ti. gigabyte windforce/aorus, evga ftw/sc, asus celebrus/strix, msi gaming (x)/gaming x trio/titanium/duke, zotac amp (extreme). don't get inno3d, and I don't have anything with galax (kfa2) and PNY personally

8 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

with a 5 second overclock you can get stock 1080 performence on a good 1070 ti. gigabyte windforce/aorus, evga ftw/sc, asus celebrus/strix, msi gaming (x)/gaming x trio/titanium/duke, zotac amp (extreme). don't get inno3d, and I don't have anything with galax (kfa2) and PNY personally

doing some reasearch now and come across these cards (EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW2-08G CERBERUS GTX 1070TI-A8G) 

•  

5 minutes ago, KnightyNight said:

doing some reasearch now and come across these cards (EVGA GTX 1070 Ti FTW2-08G CERBERUS GTX 1070TI-A8G) 

•  

I would say the ftw2 if the price is the same

I don't think a 1080 is good value for 1080p resolution, not even at 144hz; your card would simply outpreform your monitor. A 1070 would do the job quite fine.