Asus Crosshair Vi Hero Extreme cannot detect M.2 sata

I had a Asus Crosshair VI Hero (base version) with a m.2 ssd sata SK hynix SC311. The m.2 ssd sata contains my windows boot. (It’s a b+m key)

Both boards have a m key m.2 slot. 

I upgraded to a Asus Crosshair VI Hero Extreme. It has 2 m.2 slots. One for PCIE 3.0 + m.2 sata and the other is just a PCIE 3.0. 

When installing the new motherboard, I placed the m.2 ssd into the dedicated sata slot and it was not recognized as a boot device or in bios. I then moved it to the non-sata slot, and it told me that it was in the wrong slot and I needed to put it back in the sata dedicated slot. 

When I force a failed post and it recognized the m.2 sata in the dedicated slot and in bios, but when I went to reboot after bios, it was unrecognized again. 

Any suggestions?

I have attached a picture of my m.2 ssd sata. 

7C35C616-DD47-4E4C-BA47-66CCEB2BF1E8.jpeg

6721E3EE-4E69-4EC9-9F55-BFEEA16C165C.jpeg

4 minutes ago, OneEyedTurkey said:

The m.2 ssd sata contains my windows boot

It's possible that the motherboard is rejecting the windows install because of potential driver conflicts.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Although the motherboard is new, the possibility exists the BIOS is outdated.  Something you might want to check, IMHO.

8 minutes ago, fasauceome said:

It's possible that the motherboard is rejecting the windows install because of potential driver conflicts.

No idea. I tried it on a MSI B350 Tomahawk and it booted perfectly fine. 

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Although the motherboard is new, the possibility exists the BIOS is outdated.  Something you might want to check, IMHO.

Will an not up-to-date bios reject a m.2 sata? I was thinking that maybe I’m missing a setting to enable it. 

2 minutes ago, OneEyedTurkey said:

No idea. I tried it on a MSI B350 Tomahawk and it booted perfectly fine. 

Will an not up-to-date bios reject a m.2 sata? I was thinking that maybe I’m missing a setting to enable it. 

If the BIOS is outdated, the possibility exists that it wouldn't recognize the SSD.  I don't know the BIOS on your board so I can't tell you where to look.  But, if it was the board that I was using, I would look in the BIOS under Drives to see if it was listed there.  If it isn't listed under the Drives, then for some reason it is not recognizing the SSD.  I'm not sure, but if it was a "drivers" issue, the mobo would have to recognize the drive first before it could tell you something was wrong with it but the "drivers" could still be an issue anyway.  But just out of shits-and-giggles, I would check the BIOS anyway.

I just checked the Asus website on your board and there is a new BIOS out for it.  BIOS Version 6302, dated 30 November 2018, 8 Megabytes in size, supposed to increase system stability.  There is quite a list of updated drivers on the Asus website, so you might want to check it out.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

4 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

If the BIOS is outdated, the possibility exists that it wouldn't recognize the SSD.  I don't know the BIOS on your board so I can't tell you where to look.  But, if it was the board that I was using, I would look in the BIOS under Drives to see if it was listed there.  If it isn't listed under the Drives, then for some reason it is not recognizing the SSD.  I'm not sure, but if it was a "drivers" issue, the mobo would have to recognize the drive first before it could tell you something was wrong with it but the "drivers" could still be an issue anyway.  But just out of shits-and-giggles, I would check the BIOS anyway.

I just checked the Asus website on your board and there is a new BIOS out for it.  BIOS Version 6302, dated 30 November 2018, 8 Megabytes in size, supposed to increase system stability.  There is quite a list of updated drivers on the Asus website, so you might want to check it out.

https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-CROSSHAIR-VI-EXTREME/HelpDesk_Download/

So just to make sure, what you’re telling me is to update the bios? I’m just afraid that it won’t solve my issue. 

2 minutes ago, OneEyedTurkey said:

So just to make sure, what you’re telling me is to update the bios? I’m just afraid that it won’t solve my issue. 

Since I don't work for Asus, I can't specifically tell you whether or not this will fix your exact problem but what have you got to lose?  Nothing to lose and everything to gain.  You can use a program like Belarc to let you know what BIOS version you have or you can check the BIOS yourself when you startup your machine to see what version of BIOS that you currently are running.  Did you also check the website for any other outdated drivers you may have?

3 minutes ago, kb5zue said:

Since I don't work for Asus, I can't specifically tell you whether or not this will fix your exact problem but what have you got to lose?  Nothing to lose and everything to gain.  You can use a program like Belarc to let you know what BIOS version you have or you can check the BIOS yourself when you startup your machine to see what version of BIOS that you currently are running.  Did you also check the website for any other outdated drivers you may have?

I didn’t have to do any of this for my other motherboard. I just find it weird that it’ll recognize then not recognize it again. Can I solve this by getting a m.2 to 2.5” enclosure and do it through sata and call it a day?

Just now, OneEyedTurkey said:

I didn’t have to do any of this for my other motherboard. I just find it weird that it’ll recognize then not recognize it again. Can I solve this by getting a m.2 to 2.5” enclosure and do it through sata and call it a day?

You can do whatever you want, no one here is going to stop you.  But although you can find a "work around" for the problem, the problem still exists.  So, what good is a mobo with an M.2 slot that you can't use although you have an M.2 drive?  I hope that you didn't pay extra money for the board because of the M.2 slot because if you did, then you are wasting more money by buying the extra enclosure.  If it were me, I would update the BIOS along with any other outdated drivers to see if that fixed the problem.  You never know, the problem my exist because there is a problem with the mobo itself.  And you won't know that unless you do whatever you can to fix it.  Is there a particular reason that you don't/won't update the BIOS?

1 minute ago, kb5zue said:

You can do whatever you want, no one here is going to stop you.  But although you can find a "work around" for the problem, the problem still exists.  So, what good is a mobo with an M.2 slot that you can't use although you have an M.2 drive?  I hope that you didn't pay extra money for the board because of the M.2 slot because if you did, then you are wasting more money by buying the extra enclosure.  If it were me, I would update the BIOS along with any other outdated drivers to see if that fixed the problem.  You never know, the problem my exist because there is a problem with the mobo itself.  And you won't know that unless you do whatever you can to fix it.  Is there a particular reason that you don't/won't update the BIOS?

Oh no, I was planning on updating my bios. But assuming this doesn’t work, can I go for the enclosure? Should i try a m.s NVMe and see if that works on my computer? If it doesn’t work, does that mean i have a faulty motherboard?

3 minutes ago, OneEyedTurkey said:

Oh no, I was planning on updating my bios. But assuming this doesn’t work, can I go for the enclosure? Should i try a m.s NVMe and see if that works on my computer? If it doesn’t work, does that mean i have a faulty motherboard?

Without reading the manual for your motherboard, I can't tell you what you can or can't use.  So to try and answer your question, the only thing I can honestly do without the possibility of giving bad information is to say the best thing you could do would be to check the owners manual for your particular motherboard.  You will be able to find the manual on the Asus website that I posted earlier.

I remember seeing that the x470 crosshair hero doesn't even support m.2, maybe thats the issue with this board too? Unless it doesn't say that theres no m.2 support like it does for the x470 version.

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

So I’m going to update the bios and see if it works. I ordered a m.2 to sata 2.5” enclosure for safety measures. 

I went to update the bios about 20 minutes ago and it’s still stuck on the “EzFlash Do you want to read this file?” screen.