Netgear Switch Fan Incompatibility - Go Fanless?

MandicReally

So I'm trying to quiet down my Netgear switch.  Those 2 40mm fans in my GS724TS switch are louder than my storage server and workstation PC combined.  So I ordered 2 Scythe "Mini Kaze" fans and 1 Noctua 40x20mm fan. 

I swapped out the existing 2 fans for the 2 Scythe fans (I though it had 3 fans, but only has headers for 2), and they don't work.  They don't even try and spin.  The board in the switch has 2 standard 3 pin fan headers, but the Scythe fans are 2 pin.  They came with an adapter to plug into a standard 3 pin header but I'm assuming the lack of RPM reporting means the switch just doesn't try and power them up.  

So I installed the one Noctua fan in another fan position and ran an extension cable to it.  Sure enough that doesn't work either.  So I took a pair of Noctua Low Noise Adapters I had and put them on the stock fans, that caused them to not function.  

It seems like if the Switch detects anything outside of what he expects to see for the original fans, it just doesn't turn the fans on.  Which is such strange behavior to me, but I kind of get it.  So my problem is, what do I do here?  I found one or two mentions online of different model switches having this problem and folks saying the Noctua 40x10mm fans work, but I don't want to order more fans just to be in the same position.  

Would I be crazy to run my switch fanless?  The enclosed server cabinet that the switch is installed in just has this switch and my UNRAID system in it.  I installed a 200mm fan in the back of the cabinet so it is drawing a fair amount of air through the cabinet all of the time.  There are vents right next to the switch so air theoretically should be drawing passed it all the time. And there are only 2 systems attached to the switch.  My Workstation and my UNRAID system.  The switch is acting as a slave to my standard Netgear wifi-router that is supplying the rest of my house with the internet connection.  So my workstation goes through the switch for internet.  Other than that all it is doing is acting as the go between with my Storage server and my workstation, and the storage server is legitimately just used for backups.  I do not work off of that server, just offload finished video projects to it.  So clearly my use case is well below what this 24 port switch is rated for.  Input?

Ryzen 7 2700X , Asus Prime X570-Pro, Bykski CPU Block, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Lian-Li PC011 Dynamic XL case.

Switches produce a ton of heat from all the ASIC chips on board. Def do not run it fanless even with little utilization. 

As far as fan compatibility what is the pin layout like? What happens if you blow on then as the switch is posting, do they kick up on their own?

Nothing happens. They don't even twitch like they are trying. In the WebUI there isn't any warnings or anything.. This model doesn't have any fan control adjustable by the user. 

I tried spinning them by hand while plugging it in and blowing on them. No go. Maybe I'll split off power from my 200mm fan and just mount a few fans to the vents on the switch. 

Ryzen 7 2700X , Asus Prime X570-Pro, Bykski CPU Block, AMD Vega 56, Barrow GPU block, g.Skill Ripjaws V 32GB PC2800, Dual EKWB SE360 Radiators, Corsair RM750x PSU. All in a Lian-Li PC011 Dynamic XL case.

The pin layout appears to be standard 3 pin any 3 pin fan plugs into it. I tried jumping terminals to different pins on the fans to see if the wiring layout was switch and nothing happened. I know that was risky but the original fans still work so it didn't hurt anything. 

They don't even twitch when starting. In the WebUI there isn't any warnings or anything. This model doesn't have any fan control adjustable by the user. 

I tried spinning them by hand while plugging it in and blowing on them. No go. Maybe I'll split off power from my 200mm fan and just mount a few fans to the vents on the switch. 

If you are using that model switch for only two devices, you may be better off switching to a smaller, fanless switch. Unless it contains specific functionality you need compared to your standard home equipment, chances are you aren't losing anything except noise. 

It was cheap and I had the server cabinet for it.  Also it will allow me to do Link Aggregation to increase the bandwidth between my Storage Server and my Workstation. I just need to get some fans on it.  Heck maybe I'll cut a blowhole in the top and mount a single 120mm on it and power that off my server.