Blue Screen Loop

TheKingOfSalt

Hi everyone,

Starting to day my computer started to act up. I blue screened 2 times while starting up a game. Following this the game went to repair itself and all was fine up until about 2 hours later. Another blue screen appeared and after the pc restarts, flashes the bios logo. Instantly crashes on booting windows and repeat. I installed a new Windows 10 boot drive and booting from it does exactly the same.

Parts list. Gygabyte 1080ti OC edition, I7 8700k, MSI Z370 krait gaming, Nzxt X62, Corsair 3000Mhz 16GB kit, 750W be quiet psu, samsung 970pro 500GB M.2

I tried:

Unhooking al peripherals

Reseating the ram sticks, didn't work (tested both seperatly, also tested on other slots)

Default settings in the bios

Formatting the SSD M.2

Checking for bent socket pins

It keeps doing the same thing, i'm starting to think the cpu died. Note i built this system 2 weeks ago and it has been running perfectly. I stress tested it multiple times last week and temps were fine.

Does anyone have a clue that it might indeed be a dead cpu? It's detected in the bios and temps in the bios are hovering 32°C

Small clear up, after some tests i didn't reach a bsod anymore, it started crashing before it even could show anything windows related. Bios works fine though.

I've seen too many CPU death posts recently :(
Unfortunately it is looking like that.

Saw this one earlier today too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/a591m3/another_9900k_bites_the_dust/

If trying one RAM stick at a time in different slots and resetting Bios to defaults didn't fix anything, then either the CPU core or CPU IMC died somehow.

4 minutes ago, Falkentyne said:

I've seen too many CPU death posts recently :(
Unfortunately it is looking like that.

Saw this one earlier today too:

https://www.reddit.com/r/intel/comments/a591m3/another_9900k_bites_the_dust/

If trying one RAM stick at a time in different slots and resetting Bios to defaults didn't fix anything, then either the CPU core or CPU IMC died somehow.

I've read over the reddit post and i hadthe exact same blue screen codes cycling, so i can assume it will indeed be the cpu. Tomorrow i can test an  I5 8600k that i bought for my girlfriends system to see i that will work. Thank you though!

Sorry for the CPU death.

I only wish I knew what was causing brand new CPU's to fail in less than 2 weeks.

Figured this was a 9900K only problem, but now I see this.

back in the old days, the CPU's either were DOA instantly (saving TONS of time, assuming you realize its not the board, videocard or RAM dead) or worked forever... :/

I've got no clue on how this came to be either, i was running the inbuilt automatic OC settings (maxing to 4.7) which should normally never give issues. But my cpu even fully stressed never went over 70°C. Hoping i can let this guy be refunded though ^^'.

7 minutes ago, TheKingOfSalt said:

I've got no clue on how this came to be either, i was running the inbuilt automatic OC settings (maxing to 4.7) which should normally never give issues. But my cpu even fully stressed never went over 70°C. Hoping i can let this guy be refunded though ^^'.

Easy RMA.  Just tell them what happened and if they give you problems, reference this thread and the reddit post as well as a few others (but they are buried in tons of post in the i9 9900K thread on overclock.net in the Intel CPU section).  These things can happen.  It's just sort of scary because I never saw anyone just have a CPU "die" randomly like this before 14nm.  Then again maybe I didn't pay enough attention :/