Why is My OC Disappearing?

TTesla

Overclocking a STRIX 1080, using GPU Tweak II, and I got it up to:
GPU Boost clock: 1951 Mhz

GPU Voltage: 100%

Memory Clock: 10950 Mhz

Power Target: 120%

I saved it as a profile, and applied it, stress tested it overnight and it's stable, with temps below 80C. Except... every time I restart my PC the OC disappears, and GPU Tweak II reverts back to "Gaming" profile...

Two additional questions:
Does GPU Tweak II need to launch every time on startup for my OC to be active, or is it like hard coded into the card?

Should I be using different software?

Double check everything, I am usually wrong.

5 minutes ago, TeenTesla said:

Does GPU Tweak II need to launch every time on startup for my OC to be active, or is it like hard coded into the card?

Should I be using different software?

Yes,

Yes,

Evga Precision XOC / MSI afterburner 

2 minutes ago, TrigrH said:

Yes,

Yes,

Evga Precision XOC / MSI afterburner 

Should I just clock in the same settings I found stable here, or does that software somehow make my card able to do a better OC?

Also, do those software also need to be launching every time or do those hard code into the card?

2 minutes ago, TeenTesla said:

Should I just clock in the same settings I found stable here, or does that software somehow make my card able to do a better OC?

I mean you should be easily getting 2050 mhz with a 1080 when its below 60c

1951MHz is actual frequency reached in games?

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

Just now, TrigrH said:

I mean you should be easily getting 2050 mhz with a 1080 when its below 60c

For some reason when I dial in those settings, then run GPU-Z or heaven both say the clock speed is 2100+, so I am really unsure of what the hell is happening here...

For some reason when I dial in those settings, then run GPU-Z or heaven both say the clock speed is 2100+, so I am really unsure of what the hell is happening here...

The short version is: nvidias GPU boost 3 is retarded.

Explanation: The card will drop clock steps (12.5mhz) every 10C? you go up. So when i say 2050mhz 'im talking that number at peak boost (sub 60C).

4 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

1951MHz is actual frequency reached in games?

In heaven its 2113 on launch,

but memory says 5475, which is half that reported in GPU Tweak?

In heaven its 2113 on launch,

but memory says 5475, which is half that reported in GPU Tweak?

2113 is quite high, reporting half the memory speed is norrmal.

DDR = Double data rate.

Just now, TrigrH said:

DDR = Double data rate.

Ok so I just uninstalled GPU Tweak II, and got XOC.
For this program, does it also need to start up on windows launch for my OC to be active?

1 minute ago, TeenTesla said:

Ok so I just uninstalled GPU Tweak II, and got XOC.
For this program, does it also need to start up on windows launch for my OC to be active?

yes there are settings in the background for it, now unlike the other programs its just clean offsets. (which is what it should be)

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

yes there are settings in the background for it, now unlike the other programs its just clean offsets. (which is what it should be)

Ok I see those, So I should check: Start with OS, Start minimized, and Apply previous settings on load. Should I also check Overvoltage and Overboost?

Ok I see those, So I should check: Start with OS, Start minimized, and Apply previous settings on load. Should I also check Overvoltage and Overboost?

no need for the over settings, use the monitoring graph to work out what the card is running at then disable monitoring later. Make sure to turn off the overlay or delete the server exe if you dont want to use it.

Just now, TrigrH said:

no need for the over settings, use the monitoring graph to work out what the card is running at then disable monitoring later. Make sure to turn off the overlay or delete the server exe if you dont want to use it.

How do I disable monitoring, turn off the overlay, or delete the server exe? and what are those things?

Sorry I haven't done this in like 8 years lol

How do I disable monitoring, turn off the overlay, or delete the server exe? and what are those things?

Sorry I haven't done this in like 8 years lol

The buttons are on the left of the main window, which let your turn off monitoring and OSD.

Sometimes the OSD likes to turn back on so I just delete the prescesionXserver.exe from the main directory.

1 minute ago, TrigrH said:

The buttons are on the left of the main window, which let your turn off monitoring and OSD.

Sometimes the OSD likes to turn back on so I just delete the prescesionXserver.exe from the main directory.

Thank you :D

1 hour ago, TrigrH said:

DDR = Double data rate.

So after an hour or heaven, it's settled into 75C and 2063 MHz. Should I mess with fan controls to get it a bit lower and keep the higher speeds, or should I just be satisfied with 2063?

At the start its 2113, but as it gets up to 75 it slows down to 2063 as you mentioned GPU boost 3 would do.

25 minutes ago, TeenTesla said:

So after an hour or heaven, it's settled into 75C and 2063 MHz. Should I mess with fan controls to get it a bit lower and keep the higher speeds, or should I just be satisfied with 2063?

At the start its 2113, but as it gets up to 75 it slows down to 2063 as you mentioned GPU boost 3 would do.

Is the fan running at 100% at 75C? If so, then you'll never get it better. 

Need better temps for a better clock. Depends more on the silicon but you should expect a bit more out of that card. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Need better temps for a better clock. Depends more on the silicon but you should expect a bit more out of that card. 

So just mess with the fan curve a bit, keep it below 70ish?

Just now, TeenTesla said:

So just mess with the fan curve a bit, keep it below 70ish?

The lower the better it can clock. Id test the overclock with the fans at max. Just depends on how much power they are drawing. If you are using precision x now, see it you are hitting the power or voltage limits now.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

The lower the better it can clock. Id test the overclock with the fans at max. Just depends on how much power they are drawing. If you are using precision x now, see it you are hitting the power or voltage limits now.

2 hours ago, corrado33 said:

Is the fan running at 100% at 75C? If so, then you'll never get it better. 

4 hours ago, TrigrH said:

Thank you everybody, here's what I did:
-Slaved case fan that feeds air to GPU to the GPU, so that it's controlled by the GPU temps

-Fixed the fan curves

-apparently uninstalling and reinstalling GPU Tweak II fixed the issue with the profile not loading as a default (I had to use GPU Tweak II because it was the only that allowed me to control the case fan)

-Am now sitting pretty at 60C, and 2100 MHz /  5475 MHz Mem, stable.

-Can't push anything higher without ruining stability, even though there is room for more power/voltage, the software/bios is stopping me.