Does RAID 0 improve Fraps Write Speed?

Go to solution Solved by AlwaysFSX,

It does improve write speed but it won't improve performance.

So right now I decide to go with RAID 0. But is it worth it to RAID two 1TB drives or go with single 1TB drive?

So it won't give increase FPS (frame rate) in games such as BF4, or Minecraft?

So it won't give increase FPS (frame rate) in games such as BF4, or Minecraft?

No. Slightly smaller gameplay video files from fraps though maybe.

It does improve write speed but it won't improve performance.

What? How is this an answer @TechLabs?

RAID 0 improves performance by 2X no matter the drive make and model, unless you use dead drives.

What are people on these days? Its as if posters are just posting for count and answers for LOL's

:blink:

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

What? How is this an answer @TechLabs?

RAID 0 improves performance by 2X no matter the drive make and model, unless you use dead drives.

What are people on these days? Its as if posters are just posting for count and answers for LOL's

:blink:

What are you smoking? RAID 0 improves write speed but it does not improve performance when you're recording.

What are you smoking? RAID 0 improves write speed but it does not improve performance when you're recording.

It kinda depends on what is decreasing your performance. A lot of the time the thing that is screwing your computer over when recording with FRAPs is the HDD. Depending on the resolution and frame rate you're recording at, running RAID 0 may well increase performance. That being said, a single 7200rpm drive is fine for 1080p 30fps with FRAPs

I am good at computer

Spoiler

Motherboard: Gigabyte G1 sniper 3 | CPU: Intel 3770k @5.1Ghz | RAM: 32Gb G.Skill Ripjaws X @1600Mhz | Graphics card: EVGA 980 Ti SC | HDD: Seagate barracuda 3298534883327.74B + Samsung OEM 5400rpm drive + Seatgate barracude 2TB | PSU: Cougar CMX 1200w | CPU cooler: Custom loop

I'm on RAID 0, and it to date has speed up everything, that's what I'm on. You I have no idea and don't want to know as you obviously either configured it wrong or have never used it.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

I'm on RAID 0, and it to date has speed up everything, that's what I'm on. You I have no idea and don't want to know as you obviously either configured it wrong or have never used it.

I'm talking about game performance while recording with fraps to a RAID 0 drive. What are YOU talking about?!

I trying to say if I RAID 0 my drives. Does it improve my gameplay performance while recording with fraps (so less lag in games), or does it make fraps video file be to play back more smoothly because of the write speed (less FPS drop)? 

I trying to say if I RAID 0 my drives. Does it improve my gameplay performance while recording with fraps (so less lag in games), or does it make fraps video file be to play back more smoothly because of the write speed (less FPS drop)? 

It can increase performance, but we'd need to know more about your recording settings.

Resolution, desired frame rate, whether you're using lossless capture? All of these things impact the required performance of your storage.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Fraps is shit, To the point that I don't even need to say why,... everyone knows why.

Use something better. DXtory/OBS, and a few other alternatives fill the need without the fraps crap.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

In my experience Fraps gives the ultimate quality... And the ultimate file sizes too, lol. You'll only benefit from raid if your HDD cannot keep up with the data rate. In theory, 1080p @30fps lossless produces 4GB worth of avi every 90 seconds, which would make 4000MB/90s = 45MB/s which most HDDs can easily manage. The recording performance is mostly about your cpu, and you gpu needs to easily pull more fps than what you are going to record at.

CPU: Intel i7 3970X @ 4.7 GHz  (custom loop)   RAM: Kingston 1866 MHz 32GB DDR3   GPU(s): 2x Gigabyte R9 290OC (custom loop)   Motherboard: Asus P9X79   

Case: Fractal Design R3    Cooling loop:  360 mm + 480 mm + 1080 mm,  tripple 5D Vario pump   Storage: 500 GB + 240 GB + 120 GB SSD,  Seagate 4 TB HDD

PSU: Corsair AX860i   Display(s): Asus PB278Q,  Asus VE247H   Input: QPad 5K,  Logitech G710+    Sound: uDAC3 + Philips Fidelio x2

HWBot: http://hwbot.org/user/tame/

In my experience Fraps gives the ultimate quality... And the ultimate file sizes too, lol. You'll only benefit from raid if your HDD cannot keep up with the data rate. In theory, 1080p @30fps lossless produces 4GB worth of avi every 90 seconds, which would make 4000MB/90s = 45MB/s which most HDDs can easily manage. The recording performance is mostly about your cpu, and you gpu needs to easily pull more fps than what you are going to record at.

^ If your CPU is plenty capable, you can also open task manager and select fraps.exe to only use 2 cores out of the 4-8 you may have.. Giving a little more ample space for the game your running to be efficiently at its peak performance.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

It can increase performance, but we'd need to know more about your recording settings.

Resolution, desired frame rate, whether you're using lossless capture? All of these things impact the required performance of your storage.

My Resolution is 1080p, and i wish to record in 60fps.

Fraps is shit, To the point that I don't even need to say why,... everyone knows why.

Use something better. DXtory/OBS, and a few other alternatives fill the need without the fraps crap.

Fraps give great quality, but huge file size. I don't like Dxtory, because of it overly complicated setting. OBS doesn't produce great quality and its great for livestream. That just my opinion.  :)

DXtory can produce some pretty big files.

http://www.hardwarepal.com/nvidia-shadowplay-vs-fraps-vs-dxtory-review-benchmark/6/

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

I don't disagree, but ONLY comparing to fraps not shadowplay,(as thats what most people use the first time to record), its way better in the performance penalty, and the performance hit of 1080p 30fps capture is very very minimal on my machine, almost unnoticeable , the only time I actually notice the performance difference to recording is when i do 60fps capture. (using a single 7200rpm drive to record)

Plus Fraps can halve your fps or worse when it gets bogged down, dxtory doesn't.

I cant compare to shadowplay as I do not have a Nvidia GPU, however taking shadowplay out of the equation, DXtory with x/h264 eats Fraps for brekky in almost every area.