Can you over clock any graphics card.

kdog12
Go to solution Solved by Crunchy Dragon,
Just now, kdog12 said:

I like your picture 

You can overclock just about any GPU as far as I'm aware. I haven't tried overclocking any of my super old cards, but I'd be surprised if it couldn't be done.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, Crunchy Dragon said:

You can overclock just about any GPU as far as I'm aware. I haven't tried overclocking any of my super old cards, but I'd be surprised if it couldn't be done.

I like your picture 

7 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I tried overclocking an old NX8800GTS and afterburner recognized it and let me change frequencies. Couldn't change power settings though. 

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

I tried overclocking an old NX8800GTS and afterburner recognized it and let me change frequencies. Couldn't change power settings though. 

That makes sense. I'm talking older than that though, the oldest card in my possession is a GeForce4 MX420 AGP. Now if I could overclock that, that would be quite something.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

5 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

That makes sense. I'm talking older than that though, the oldest card in my possession is a GeForce4 MX420 AGP. Now if I could overclock that, that would be quite something.

I mean, overclocking has been around long before most of us were even alive. I'd be surprised if you couldn't over clock it. You may have to find old software, but I bet you could do it. 

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

I mean, overclocking has been around long before most of us were even alive. I'd be surprised if you couldn't over clock it. You may have to find old software, but I bet you could do it. 

Yeah, I'll give that a try sometime.

30 minutes ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Back in the day, it was done with PowerStrip or in the BIOS itself. 

Was done via adjusting the AGP or PCI slot itself. Could adjust voltage and frequency of the slot to adjust the clocks or stability

Well belive it or not i actually had a first gen geforce. Yes i said FIRST GEN lol i think the offical name was Geforce 256 but its been a while and there was overclocking in some of not all of the very first drivers. Used to use a slot cooler that down drafted the agp card via a bracket that held 2 80mm fans over the card from on top lol . So in short yeah theres always a way and someone out there willing to do what ever that way is.

23 minutes ago, Esper22 said:

Well belive it or not i actually had a first gen geforce. Yes i said FIRST GEN lol i think the offical name was Geforce 256 but its been a while and there was overclocking in some of not all of the very first drivers. Used to use a slot cooler that down drafted the agp card via a bracket that held 2 80mm fans over the card from on top lol . So in short yeah theres always a way and someone out there willing to do what ever that way is.

That sounds like a hilarious setup! haha

Got a few bstock 980’s that you couldn’t do any oc’ing to. But your card should be fine to do so. Just don’t expect much. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz