B450 or X470

Ikn0w

Hi guys,
I'm doing a budget gaming build aimed at 1080p. After a couple of days of research I've put together one that suit my needs pretty well but I'm stuck at choosing the right motherboard.
Here is the build.

The main question is should I go for the Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 or MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4. Currently I can find both of them at pretty similar prices - £135 and £120 respectively so price would not be a factor in the choice.
In case it's worth mentioning... it's unlikely that I'll upgrade anything in the future but I'd like to have the option to.

Check out the heatsinks on each one and decide from there. Look at things like usb supports, PCIE quality, the mentioned VRM's, and so on.

53 minutes ago, Ikn0w said:

Hi guys,
I'm doing a budget gaming build aimed at 1080p. After a couple of days of research I've put together one that suit my needs pretty well but I'm stuck at choosing the right motherboard.
Here is the build.

The main question is should I go for the Gigabyte - X470 AORUS ULTRA GAMING ATX AM4 or MSI - B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4. Currently I can find both of them at pretty similar prices - £135 and £120 respectively so price would not be a factor in the choice.
In case it's worth mentioning... it's unlikely that I'll upgrade anything in the future but I'd like to have the option to.

Go for the MSI B450 Gaming Pro Carbon. It's one of the best AM4 motherboards out there. Awesome VRMs with heatsinsk, wifi included, aesthetically pleasing, amazing overclocking potential, etc.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | MOBO: MSI B450 Tomahawk GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6800XT | RAM: GSkill Trident Z DDR4 3600Mhz | PSU: ADATA Core Reactor 850W 80+ Gold | CASE: Fractal Design Meshify C MONITOR: LG 32UL500-W 4K 60Hz, Gigabyte M27Q 1440p 165Hz

1 hour ago, Ikn0w said:

Hi guys,
Here is the build.

The MSI B450 Tomahawk is a good budget board. Also why the expensive HDD ? Just get the regular Green label Barracuda for £52. I would also aim for an 8GB RX580 or 6GB GTX 1060.

14 hours ago, lee32uk said:

The MSI B450 Tomahawk is a good budget board. Also why the expensive HDD ? Just get the regular Green label Barracuda for £52. I would also aim for an 8GB RX580 or 6GB GTX 1060.

The HDD is there as a placeholder I've picked a Seagate BarraCuda 2TB 7200RPM 256MB Cashe that will cost me £60 but https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/ doesn't have it in their database. The Tomahawk is good but after a few reviews I found out that B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC ATX AM4 offers better performance and the price difference is just £15. As for the RX580 - I did consider it but it is £50- £70 pricier (same goes for GTX 1060) and since I won't push it to 1440p there's no need for it.

16 hours ago, DVA said:

Check out the heatsinks on each one and decide from there. Look at things like usb supports, PCIE quality, the mentioned VRM's, and so on.

Well they both offer more than I need in terms of expansion slots and ports. The heatsinks I find equally good. The VRM's is where my knowledge laks... I have no clue as to what to look for :)