Can this old case work?

*Chazz

I picked up this computer from a thrift store to scavenge the power supply. I kinda regret doing it because I could have used it for my up and coming build. I am simply looking to save a few dollars here and there. I don't mind what it looks like honestly, and kinda think it would be fun to have a mild sleeper. (I am going with a ryzen 5 2600, and allready picked up a gtx 1050 for $60, a bit of a budget/future proofing approach)

One question, is there anything about today's hardware that would struggle to be compatible with this case? I measured the board, it seems to be a micro-atx which is what I am going for. Would the mobo/grahpics card IO still line up? Would hard drives mount ok? 

I am basically trying to avoid and major modification. If that's the 'case'  then I will go ahead and fork out $20 for a case on amazon. (Sorry for the pun :)

Thanks in advanced guys.

IMG_20181203_065211.jpg

IMG_20181203_065216.jpg

Looks like a standard mATX layout, so you should be able to just cram some modern hardware into this!

Newer tech like SSDs are probably not going to fit tough, but you could just get a M.2 drive that mounts directly to the motherboard. Normal 3,5" harddrives should fit without a problem 

Keep in mind tough that modern hardware requires good cooling if you plan on doing some heavy tasks on the system. And this case is pretty minimal on airflow.

On 12/4/2018 at 2:36 AM, *Chazz said:

I picked up this computer from a thrift store to scavenge the power supply. I kinda regret doing it because I could have used it for my up and coming build. I am simply looking to save a few dollars here and there. I don't mind what it looks like honestly, and kinda think it would be fun to have a mild sleeper. (I am going with a ryzen 5 2600, and allready picked up a gtx 1050 for $60, a bit of a budget/future proofing approach)

One question, is there anything about today's hardware that would struggle to be compatible with this case? I measured the board, it seems to be a micro-atx which is what I am going for. Would the mobo/grahpics card IO still line up? Would hard drives mount ok? 

I am basically trying to avoid and major modification. If that's the 'case'  then I will go ahead and fork out $20 for a case on amazon. (Sorry for the pun :)

Thanks in advanced guys.

Based on that design, it'll either be the same case as a D330uT, or the same case as a DX7300uT.

If it's the former, it doesn't support ATX PSUs, and the I/O shield and motherboard tray are one unit, so cannot easily swap motherboards

If it's the same as the latter, it'll support ATX PSUs, and the motherboard tray and I/O shield are seperate. Though you will need to flatten the LGA 775 backplate which is embedded into the motherboard tray.

On 12/4/2018 at 12:39 AM, RollinLower said:

Newer tech like SSDs are probably not going to fit tough, but you could just get a M.2 drive that mounts directly to the motherboard. Normal 3,5" harddrives should fit without a problem 

What?  You've never mounted a 2.5" SSD into a 3.5" slot using an adapter bracket????

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Mounting-Bracket-drive-CSSD-BRKT1/dp/B0090UG55A

On 12/4/2018 at 3:38 AM, Comic_Sans_MS said:

If it's the former, it doesn't support ATX PSUs, and the I/O shield and motherboard tray are one unit, so cannot easily swap motherboards

That looks like a standard ATX PSU mounting to me.

3 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

using an adapter bracket?

my point still stands. in the case as-is the SSD will not fit.

granted, most SSD's are fine if you just mount them with double sided tape, tough that is pretty jank.

10 minutes ago, RollinLower said:

granted, most SSD's are fine if you just mount them with double sided tape, tough that is pretty jank.

*cue the RGB SSD's* lmao

Just get some of that double-sided red electrical/insulation tape and slap on the case wall/panel of your choosing @*Chazz

4 hours ago, jonnyGURU said:

What?  You've never mounted a 2.5" SSD into a 3.5" slot using an adapter bracket????

https://www.amazon.com/Corsair-Mounting-Bracket-drive-CSSD-BRKT1/dp/B0090UG55A

That looks like a standard ATX PSU mounting to me.

It's not. HP's of that time period are taller than standard ATX, and the same width as ATX, or are smaller than standard ATX.

If the PSU width is the same as an ATX PSU, it will support and ATX PSU (HP was kind enough to include ATX mounting holes), if not, they'll either need to cut up the case, and drill some new holes.

If I wasn't moving, I would send a picture of what a HP DX7300uT (model that can support ATX form factor PSUs, but isn't ATX) case with an ATX PSU in it, but it's in my car, under lots of shit. And I threw out my HP D330uT's (models that cannot support ATX PSUs) mid last year, so I kinda cannot show those won't support ATX PSUs.

On 12/4/2018 at 3:36 AM, *Chazz said:

Thanks in advanced guys

I think the only thing to be really aware of is that your CPU will have to either use the stock cooler or a fairly low profile aftermarket one. Other than that, you should have no problem with that case, though I might try to replace the rear fan with maybe a Noctua (who makes good 92mm fans) and if there's a spot for one at the front, put one there too

"Put as much effort into your question as you'd expect someone to give in an answer"- @Princess Luna

Make sure to Quote posts or tag the person with @[username] so they know you responded to them!

RGB Build Post 2019 --- Rainbow 🦆 2020 --- Velka 5 V2.0 Build 2021

Purple Build Post ---  Blue Build Post --- Blue Build Post 2018 --- Project ITNOS

CPU i7-4790k    Motherboard Gigabyte Z97N-WIFI    RAM G.Skill Sniper DDR3 1866mhz    GPU EVGA GTX1080Ti FTW3    Case Corsair 380T   

Storage Samsung EVO 250GB, Samsung EVO 1TB, WD Black 3TB, WD Black 5TB    PSU Corsair CX750M    Cooling Cryorig H7 with NF-A12x25

18 hours ago, RollinLower said:

Your points stands if you're not willing to just buy the damn bracket.  LOL.  You could also make the point that you could just buy a platter HDD and it WILL fit without additional hardware.  If you're buying parts to put into the PC anyway, what's the big deal about buying the appropriate mounting bracket?

On 12/4/2018 at 2:39 AM, RollinLower said:

Looks like a standard mATX layout, so you should be able to just cram some modern hardware into this!

Well thank you guys for your input. I am sure it is an I have included a picture to confirm that it had an ATX power supply. I did consider an NVME drive for my build. I have decided that a normal SSD will fit my needs just fine. An NVME for what I do is over kill, and simply not worth the money.

On 12/5/2018 at 2:49 PM, DVA said:

Just get some of that double-sided red electrical/insulation tape and slap on the case wall/panel of your choosing

But yes double stick tape for the win here. I also have a 3d printer... So I may put some time into printing a bracket myself. :D I have noticed that it is a a quick swap set up, so mounting a hard drive with a normal adapter appears to be cumbersome if not unreasonable. I remember having one of the brackets but I can't seem to find it now. 

My plan is to do some light gaming, but also get into some casual video editing. Make the family vids more enjoyable you know.

21 hours ago, TVwazhere said:

I think the only thing to be really aware of is that your CPU will have to either use the stock cooler or a fairly low profile aftermarket one. Other than that, you should have no problem with that case, though I might try to replace the rear fan with maybe a Noctua (who makes good 92mm fans) and if there's a spot for one at the front, put one there too

Yah I'm sticking with the stock one. And yes, I had that idea in mind as well. A fan pulling into the case from the front and the then pushing out from the back. I'll keep a close eye on the temps though. I havn't owned any decent performing hardware before so I may be surprised. 

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_20181005_081102575.jpg

I have considered 3D printing an entire case. It would be a ton of work, but I have the machine to do it...

And also...I have been considering Mini atx setup as well. It would be cool to go small, but I find the cases that actually take advantage of its mini atx mobo size are on the steep side for me. If you guys have any suggestions I'm all ears. They really don't seem that much smaller than what I have here, for $8 I spent a year ago. That might be another post though.

5 hours ago, *Chazz said:

There you go, you have the model that supports ATX form factor PSUs. A model would have been easier to work with.

IMG_20181207_121330.thumb.jpg.87442e8d775c94b1e60e67bd5bd8da67.jpg