Can I trick Samsung DeX?

ILoveZed

Hi, so I have a S9+ and I really want to try the Samsung DeX feature. Unfortunately I dont want to spend 100 dollars on a station and I am still wondering If I should buy the official cable or some 3rd party one. As you may know not all 3rd party cables work an also I dont want to end up having like 7 USB-C to HDMI cables. Before I figure out if I should buy one of the things I wanted to ask one question. Is there any way to trick my phone into thinking that I plugged it using a USB-c to HDMI cable? At least for me it does make sense to have something like that. Is there any way to just plug my phone  in the computer using a USB cable and Samsung DeX to start working. 

12 minutes ago, ILoveZed said:

Hi, so I have a S9+ and I really want to try the Samsung DeX feature. Unfortunately I dont want to spend 100 dollars on a station and I am still wondering If I should buy the official cable or some 3rd party one. As you may know not all 3rd party cables work an also I dont want to end up having like 7 USB-C to HDMI cables. Before I figure out if I should buy one of the things I wanted to ask one question. Is there any way to trick my phone into thinking that I plugged it using a USB-c to HDMI cable? At least for me it does make sense to have something like that. Is there any way to just plug my phone  in the computer using a USB cable and Samsung DeX to start working. 

You'll need to get a dex compatible cable. Look for one with plenty of reviews and return it if it fails to work.

• 2 months later...

Hello from the future. I know this topic is old but if you are still looking into this, Id recommend picking up a refurbished dex station. Samsung is selling them on amazon for $63. It works fine for me. I have done a lot of testing with the dex and i have found third party devices suck and in my case, fry out fairly quickly. The refurbished unit is similar in cost to third party hubs.

https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Wireless-Charging-Certified-Refurbished/dp/B0788F8DKC/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1550500263&sr=8-8&keywords=samsung+dex