Image upload bug

Spotty

Windows 10 64bit 1803
Mozilla Firefox 63.0.3

I often get the "There was a problem processing the upload file. -200" error message when trying to include images in a reply. It happens often when trying to paste an image that is stored in clipboard, such as when using snipping tool/paint to grab/crop a screenshot, as well as when using the "Copy Image" to copy an image from the web. Doesn't appear to happen as frequently when trying to upload an image saved on the computer with the "Choose files" method of adding attachments.

image.png.0bd0d12b2e70dc41f2f04060c75e3dc7.png

Once it has failed to upload once, the same image will continue to fail every subsequent time you try to upload it. There's no trash icon to delete the failed upload attempts, however the failed uploaded attempts will count towards the 20MB total limit for images, so if you have a failed uploaded image it may prevent you from uploading other images.

image.png.eada127938dfd6cdd85dc3950a820fd7.png

image.png.a46f2e0aab87f510805e6b652f6983d2.png

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

If this catches attention from anyone, I'd like to throw in the small comment where sometimes I'll try to comment again on the same thread and my previous post is auto-embedded so I have to delete it. It's not a big issue at all on PC, but on my phone it's a bit of an annoyance. Have you run into that @Spotty?

2 minutes ago, DVA said:

If this catches attention from anyone, I'd like to throw in the small comment where sometimes I'll try to comment again on the same thread and my previous post is auto-embedded so I have to delete it. It's not a big issue at all on PC, but on my phone it's a bit of an annoyance. Have you run into that @Spotty?

Not for forum replies, but my previous status update post is always saved whenever I try to create a new status update. It should be removed from the editor after you publish it.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Just now, Spotty said:

Not for forum replies, but my previous status update post is always saved whenever I try to create a new status update. It should be removed from the editor after you publish it.

I have actually had the same thing as well now that I think about it. I hope your thread will be caught by someone who works on the forums. 

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

I often get the "There was a problem processing the upload file. -200" error message when trying to include images in a reply. It happens often when trying to paste an image that is stored in clipboard, such as when using snipping tool/paint to grab/crop a screenshot, as well as when using the "Copy Image" to copy an image from the web. Doesn't appear to happen as frequently when trying to upload an image saved on the computer with the "Choose files" method of adding attachments.

image.png.0bd0d12b2e70dc41f2f04060c75e3dc7.png

Once it has failed to upload once, the same image will continue to fail every subsequent time you try to upload it. imageproxy.php?img=&key=17c10421afdc6db8There's no trash icon to delete the failed upload attempts, however the failed uploaded attempts will count towards the 20MB total limit for images, so if you have a failed uploaded image it may prevent you from uploading other images.

That error means that the image failed to be processed, so it is likely that it will happen every time for the same image.

What browser are you using?

Does it ever happen when using choose files, or only when pasting?

8 hours ago, DVA said:

I am aware of this issue, which I think was reported during the beta, but it's unfortunately not something that I can fix so it will need to be escalated to the forum software devs. I still need to do some more investigation before I can do that, but that is relatively high on my list of (forum) priorities at the moment.

8 hours ago, DVA said:

I have actually had the same thing as well now that I think about it. I hope your thread will be caught by someone who works on the forums. 

That's what this section is for! If you come across any forum bugs, please post them as separate topics (so I can keep track of them) in Bugs and Issues. I read everything that gets posted here (though sometimes there's nothing I can do).

HTTP/2 203

1 minute ago, colonel_mortis said:

That error means that the image failed to be processed, so it is likely that it will happen every time for the same image.

What browser are you using?

Does it ever happen when using choose files, or only when pasting?

Mozilla Firefox 63.0.3

The vast majority of the time I just paste images directly in to the text editor. I can't say for certain whether it does or does not happen when using the "Choose Files" option, I think it has happened to me before doing it like that, but I rarely do it that way so I can't say for certain. However, I found that if an image refuses to upload, if I open up paint, save the image as a .png or .jpg and then upload the saved file from the choose files that it will successfully upload then... But once it's saved as a png or whatever the file size changes (often smaller) and it's recognised as a different file than what was in the clipboard anyway.

I find I have more issues with larger files (>1MB) than with smaller files.

2 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Mozilla Firefox 63.0.3

The vast majority of the time I just paste images directly in to the text editor. I can't say for certain whether it does or does not happen when using the "Choose Files" option, I think it has happened to me before doing it like that, but I rarely do it that way so I can't say for certain. However, I found that if an image refuses to upload, if I open up paint, save the image as a .png or .jpg and then upload the saved file from the choose files that it will successfully upload then... But once it's saved as a png or whatever the file size changes (often smaller) and it's recognised as a different file than what was in the clipboard anyway.

I find I have more issues with larger files (>1MB) than with smaller files.

Your errors don't seem to be showing up in the logs.

Can you open the dev tools and switch to the network tab, then try pasting an image (for the first time - not an editor with existing failed uploads that are still listed in the upload box). Once you get the error, right click on one of the requests that showed up in the dev tools, and click "Save all as HAR". Can you then send me, as an attachment in PM (it contains sensitive cookies), the file that it creates, and I can look into it further.

HTTP/2 203