Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Upgrade CPU or GPU?

I have a fx-6350 CPU, and a radeon RX-460 GPU. To improve my FPS in games, would I be better off upgrading my CPU to a ryzen 5, or upgrading my GPU to a RX-580? Eventually I'm going to upgrade both, but I dont know what to upgrade first.

I'd upgrade the CPU, that FX-6350 is bound to be bottleneck for almost any modern mid-range GPU.

CPU: Intel Core i7-950 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R CPU Cooler: NZXT HAVIK 140 RAM: Corsair Dominator DDR3-1600 (1x2GB), Crucial DDR3-1600 (2x4GB), Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3-1600 (1x4GB) GPU: ASUS GeForce GTX 770 DirectCU II 2GB SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 2.5" 1TB HDDs: WD Green 3.5" 1TB, WD Blue 3.5" 1TB PSU: Corsair AX860i & CableMod ModFlex Cables Case: Fractal Design Meshify C TG (White) Fans: 2x Dynamic X2 GP-12 Monitors: LG 24GL600F, Samsung S24D390 Keyboard: Logitech G710+ Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum Mouse Pad: Steelseries QcK Audio: Bose SoundSport In-Ear Headphones

Upgrade cpu. Keep in mind that you need to upgrade your motherboard and memory as well.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Get a gpu. I have a second computer with an fx-6300 and a gtx 1060 6gb and it does not bottleneck. In the long run though save enough money to buy both. I personally don't recommend AMD gpus just because they don't perform as well but since it sounds like you are on a budget get the rx 580 8gb or rx 590 8gb. 

The only CPU upgrade you will get on your platform is FX-83xx, which is not bad but it's sub-optimal for quality gaming i would say. If you want to go for ryzen you would also have to replace mobo/ram. And even if you do you would end up with a good CPU and a weak GPU. So i suggest making some trade-offs:

1. Going for a new system but with a slightly weaker CPU that Ryzen 5, for example Ryzen 1200, which would be better at gaming than FX-83xx, and getting a better GPU, like 1050Ti or maybe even 1063.

or

2. Getting used FX-8350 and correctly overcloking it like shown here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--hAweqSPxI and getting a much better GPU.

3. Intel platform can use DDR3 memory so you can save up on ram and spend it on better GPU/CPU.

Answering to your current question STRICTLY - replacing GPU would be better. Check this video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATpkZLCoZSE - with right set-up you can achieve wonders.