Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Running macos in a VM?

Hi

I have never used anything apple before, and thus thought it would be fun to try macos in a VM. Now because I don't have a mac pc, I can't get an image from there. I tried some tutorials, one provided an iso which I downloaded. BUt it required me to do a lot of commands, and eventually didn't work at all. For some reason it's hard to run macos in a VM.

I would like to use virtualbox, but if there is something better and free, then I can use that too. I use Linux Ubuntu.(not windows)

Does anyone know how to make a macos VM?(Maybe a tutorial or video tutorial)

Thanks!

I personally have done it before, kinda. 

I eventually after spending wayy too long got it to boot successfully, with the exception of it not allowing me access to the app store or any other fancy apple service, and it saying my serial number was 0. 

I used vbox btw. 

I am actually thinking of trying to hackintosh my old Dell Latitude E7240, although last time i tried hackintoshing that i was stuck on the apple logo for the installer, or crashing on that, depends on what it felt like doing at that exact time. 

also i dont know how well it would work but maybe you could use VMWare for it too, i happen to have a few of the keys for vmware workstation pro laying around somewhere and i used to use it when i was using windows, although now i have moved to the good faithful linux, and I WANT MY SEAMLESS MODE. 

I forgot where i was going with this message, so i guess ill just stop now while i still can before i cry. 

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself. 

not really worth doing running a mac os vm, on non-macos device, the vm is going to be extremely slow 

only reason to do it is if your going to Hackintosh and dont have access to actual mac 

for this specific case anyway

On 12/3/2018 at 9:12 AM, Shoe_Eater said:

I personally have done it before, kinda. 

I eventually after spending wayy too long got it to boot successfully, with the exception of it not allowing me access to the app store or any other fancy apple service, and it saying my serial number was 0. 

I used vbox btw. 

I am actually thinking of trying to hackintosh my old Dell Latitude E7240, although last time i tried hackintoshing that i was stuck on the apple logo for the installer, or crashing on that, depends on what it felt like doing at that exact time. 

also i dont know how well it would work but maybe you could use VMWare for it too, i happen to have a few of the keys for vmware workstation pro laying around somewhere and i used to use it when i was using windows, although now i have moved to the good faithful linux, and I WANT MY SEAMLESS MODE. 

I forgot where i was going with this message, so i guess ill just stop now while i still can before i cry. 

Ah thanks. Well, I still can't get it to work. It always ends in a "Guru meditation error". I might just repurpose an old HDD for a hackingtosh installation though.

13 hours ago, yamileon said:

not really worth doing running a mac os vm, on non-macos device, the vm is going to be extremely slow 

only reason to do it is if your going to Hackintosh and dont have access to actual mac 

for this specific case anyway

Well, I don't really use the apple products, way too expensive and not enough features, and not very customer friendly in my oppinion. But I am a software developer, and sometimes people request a macos version of a program. In which case I need a macos device/os to test it.

5 hours ago, timl132 said:

snip

in that case, id say just go with an Hackintosh.

renting a vm (i know there is a service that runs them on native hardware), or buy a used mac are also options

I'm leaning towards the Hackintosh,

I've managed to get it running for the install media once, using vmware on windows and some not so legit things, theirs a guide for it somewhere

also, tonymacx86 will help with the Hackintosh.

renting a vm will add up in cost fast depending on how much you need it,

and yea apple software is great, mac os helped me get through my final year in compsci since it didnt distract me while coding,

hardware not so much, imo

I will say a hackintosh could work quite well, i was bored and hackintoshed my old dell latitude e7240 yesterday, the only issues are usb still doesent work, wifi almost works(replaced the stock card with one i stole from dads laptop) and the touchpad is a little sad. and i also wanna see if that method for hackintoshing could actually get it to run in a vm, since it seemed to work quite nicely without many issues, the main issue being my slow internet causing the thing to take 90% of the day to download

Sadness is the one true emotion, and happiness, well, that's just a lie, sadness is all many of us feel, and is all we need to feel, because having it any other way, would just be wrong, why be happy when you can just be miserable like myself.