How can I know if the Pcie retention clip is closed?

Yiannis15

Hello I installed my new gpu how can I know if the pcie retention clip is closed? Gpu is working fine

the retention clip closes when the GPU is inserted correctly....if you're unsure five it a gentle pull with the screws removed and if it stays in its fine......usually its either push down or hold to the right (from the front of the case....io would be the back)

11 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

the retention clip closes when the GPU is inserted correctly....if you're unsure five it a gentle pull with the screws removed and if it stays in its fine......usually its either push down or hold to the right (from the front of the case....io would be the back)

I have already done it once but im a little afraid to pull hard because I can damage the pci slot

12 minutes ago, BubblyCharizard said:

Does the retention clip closes if I didn't pull a lot of force when I put the gpu but the gpu is in correctly and screwed into place?

after pushing the GPU in the PCI slot you can push the clip untill it doesnt move anymore like a ram slot clip, if it doesn't move you should be gtg

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

There is a very small audible click you can sometimes hear when you push it in. You can also take a screw driver or something and push on the clip and unlock it and watch it as you push back down and watch it re-close to know its closed. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

7 minutes ago, wildthing said:

after pushing the GPU in the PCI slot you can push the clip untill it doesnt move anymore like a ram slot clip, if it doesn't move you should be gtg

Well I can't access the clip because my mobo is micro atx and I have a cooler and everything is so close together. I must remove the cooler to access the clip now

2 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

There is a very small audible click you can sometimes hear when you push it in. You can also take a screw driver or something and push on the clip and unlock it and watch it as you push back down and watch it re-close to know its closed. 

Is it safe if the screwdriver touch the mobo?

1 minute ago, Yiannis15 said:

Is it safe if the screwdriver touch the mobo?

it will be fine. Its how I unlock the GPU clip in some cases and have slipped off and hit the board a bit with no issues or damage as a result. It wont take a lot of force to do it so no need to put your whole body weight into it, just a small push and it should unlock. 

Community Standards | Fan Control Software

Please make sure to Quote me or @ me to see your reply!

Just because I am a Moderator does not mean I am always right. Please fact check me and verify my answer. 

"Black Out"

Ryzen 9 5900x | Full Custom Water Loop | Asus Crosshair VIII Hero (Wi-Fi) | RTX 3090 Founders | Ballistix 32gb 16-18-18-36 3600mhz 

1tb Samsung 970 Evo | 2x 2tb Crucial MX500 SSD | Fractal Design Meshify S2 | Corsair HX1200 PSU

Dedicated Streaming Rig

Ryzen 7 3700x | Asus B450-F Strix | 16gb Gskill Flare X 3200mhz | Corsair RM550x PSU | Asus Strix GTX1070 | 250gb 860 Evo m.2

Phanteks P300A |  Elgato HD60 Pro | Avermedia Live Gamer Duo | Avermedia 4k GC573 Capture Card

1 minute ago, Yiannis15 said:

Well I can't access the clip because my mobo is micro atx and I have a cooler and everything is so close together. I must remove the cooler to access the clip now

well in that case, i mean if you push in the GPU far enough and you're able to screw the GPU in place to the Case you should be fine.

like this:

1.jpg

Recent build: Fractal Design - Torrent reviewMeshify C / The 1080TI Strix Noctua modDefine S X58 Xeon build  / Specs: i7-14700KF 5.8Ghz - ASUS TUF RTX 4080 super - G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB 4000mhz CL18 -  Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X d4 - Torrent Fractal Design white - EVGA 850W Supernova G2 80+ Gold - Noctua D15

4 minutes ago, wildthing said:

well in that case, i mean if you push in the GPU far enough and you're able to screw the GPU in place to the Case you should be fine.

like this:

1.jpg

It's already screwed into place. It's place seems normal I think it's all the way in the Pcie slot and probably it's locked. But I'm not sure I I didn't concentrateto hear a click when I installed it

8 minutes ago, Skiiwee29 said:

it will be fine. Its how I unlock the GPU clip in some cases and have slipped off and hit the board a bit with no issues or damage as a result. It wont take a lot of force to do it so no need to put your whole body weight into it, just a small push and it should unlock. 

I don't even know if I can fit a crewdriver in there

Screenshot_20181201-114848.png

38 minutes ago, Yiannis15 said:

It's already screwed into place. It's place seems normal I think it's all the way in the Pcie slot and probably it's locked. But I'm not sure I I didn't concentrateto hear a click when I installed it

you don't need to hear a click, if it's screwed in it's locked in and won't go anywhere.

1 hour ago, wildthing said:

you don't need to hear a click, if it's screwed in it's locked in and won't go anywhere.

So if the clip didn't close but the gpu is screwed in place I'm good to go? Because it's kinda hard to test but probably it's closed

5 hours ago, Yiannis15 said:

So if the clip didn't close but the gpu is screwed in place I'm good to go? Because it's kinda hard to test but probably it's closed

if it's screwed in it can't go any lower pretty much so you should be oke!

Just give it a push (same force as to seat ram) near the back of the card.  It's probably seated though, considering that it's screwed in and that it functions.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it.  Are you worried the grimlins are going to come out at night and tug on your GPU?

i9-9900k @ 5.1GHz || EVGA 3080 ti FTW3 EK Cooled || EVGA z390 Dark || G.Skill TridentZ 32gb 4000MHz C16

970 Pro 1tb || 860 Evo 2tb || BeQuiet Dark Base Pro 900 || EVGA P2 1200w || AOC Agon AG352UCG

Cooled by: Heatkiller || Hardware Labs || Bitspower || Noctua || EKWB

On 12/1/2018 at 11:30 AM, wildthing said:

I did what you said with a screwdriver and it actually moved . But the screwdriver touched my mobo but I think it's ok